What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

SS 316L 28 ga melting on ohm tester

AdriaNocenzi

Postman
Hi All,

my wire melts when i fire it on ohm tester, i tried twice on an clone Haladay rda and i tought because it was a clone, then i tried on the wasp nano exactly the same, read ok, arond 0.4 to 0.5 but when i fire it melts.
if nobody has any suggestion i will bin it

Hi All,

my wire melts when i fire it on ohm tester, i tried twice on an clone Haladay rda and i tought because it was a clone, then i tried on the wasp nano exactly the same, read ok, arond 0.4 to 0.5 but when i fire it melts.

I would not use the ohm tester and try it on a regulated mod at the lowest wattage setting. Normally melting wire is due to too much power for the thickness of the wire so you might be using an ohm tester that's trying to push 30 watts through wire that can only take 15 watts. (Also bear in mind that when its being used in a tank/rda its wet with juice and you are sucking air across it and both bring the temperature down.

I am sure a grown up will be along shortly to explain the science.

Hi All,

It's thin wire with a decent amount of resistance ... my geekvape tab fires at 50w so I have to be really careful, you can pulse it very very gently, but if you fire it for more than a second or two it's not going to handle it.

thank you for the explanation, ok so is better use a thick wire, anyway i trouble to make coil with this wire because steam web site every time i want calculate is say 2 or 3 wraps which are not enough for me to make a coil, i do have kanthal and clapton ni80 i will use those

thank you for the explanation, ok so is better use a thick wire, anyway i trouble to make coil with this wire because steam web site every time i want calculate is say 2 or 3 wraps which are not enough for me to make a coil, i do have kanthal and clapton ni80 i will use those

No, it's not 'better' to use thick wire, that really depends on what you are trying to do with it, thick and thin both have their uses. .... you just need to be a bit more careful with thinner wire.

my aim is to build on 0.25 to 0.35 coils but with enough wraps let say 5-7 on them and with ni80 i can achieve that with kanthal i need to go with 3-5 wraps still enough

You shouldn’t dry burn the stainless steel. It might be bad for the health. Just put it in the tank and crank it up.

Wait, the 316 ss needs more wraps than ni 80 or kanthal for the same resistance. Are these wires all 28awg? If so something is wrong.

my aim is to build on 0.25 to 0.35 coils but with enough wraps let say 5-7 on them and with ni80 i can achieve that with kanthal i need to go with 3-5 wraps still enough

If you want low resistance coils you'll want something thicker than 28awg, Kanthal and Nichrome will be higher in resistance that SS.

Yup, the reason your wire is melting is that the coil you made only needs 6.5watts or 1.4 volts through it, and most readers fire direct voltage from the battery, i.e 3.7 volts.

IMG_20180530_160022.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom