What's new

So what id do wrong

SouthernVaper

Achiever
I have a UD AGI now its not really relevant to that perticular atty more a general mesh type question

So I cut 4cm x 3cm flammed it a bit to start, then rolled and oxidized 4 times then added juice three times. Coiled it using drill bit method.

Checked it out phasing it on a ego all good coils lighting up a treat.

Filled her up piss poor, now I think the problem is with the juice getting up the mesh to the coil.

So abandoned it and put silica back sorted....................... but what did I do wrong ?????

should the wick be loose in the hole????? Coils were touching as far as I could tell was burning juice but think it wasnt drawing up

Mesh wicks can be an arse, but don't strangle the wick with the coils, don't let the wick touch the bottom of the tank or it will short, and I usually don't go for a solid wick if I can help it.
Also, I used to oxidize the wick as much as you do, what I do now is generally just give the mesh a little bit of a flame especially catching the edges, with a lighter, before I role it up, then burn it with a blowtorch until it is glowing, moreso on the top half that will be coiled, then go ahead and coil it. Usually to decent results, and it may not be what you will like, but different strokes, and all that.

By the way, it can take a little while for the flavour to bed in to a new wick, and I use 50/50 vg/pg, which wicks fine, but maybe the thicker it gets (more vg heavy), the harder it will be?

What I have found on my quest is as follows.

• Unless you are vaping high vg content juice then 400 mesh is best
  • When rolling the wick, straighten out a standard paperclip and roll the wick around it leaving the hole in the middle.
  • Don't roll your wick too tight, the best I can describe it is keep it slightly squidgy.
  • Make sure your wick so it just fits the hole in the RBA
  • Wrap your coil fairly tight around the wick but not as if you are trying to strangle it. Too tight and you will get shorts, too loose and you will get hot spots.
  • Kanthal is more forgiving of hotspots than nichrome
  • Try to keep the distance between the coil and both posts the same, if one is longer you will get a hotspot there.
  • When attaching your coil to the posts put the paper-clip or small drill back inside the wick for strength so you don't bend it when attaching to the top post (assuming you are using a genesis mod like the AGA T2)

What I have found on my quest is as follows.

• Unless you are vaping high vg content juice then 400 mesh is best
  • When rolling the wick, straighten out a standard paperclip and roll the wick around it leaving the hole in the middle.
  • Don't roll your wick too tight, the best I can describe it is keep it slightly squidgy.
  • Make sure your wick so it just fits the hole in the RBA
  • Wrap your coil fairly tight around the wick but not as if you are trying to strangle it. Too tight and you will get shorts, too loose and you will get hot spots.
  • Kanthal is more forgiving of hotspots than nichrome
  • Try to keep the distance between the coil and both posts the same, if one is longer you will get a hotspot there.
  • When attaching your coil to the posts put the paper-clip or small drill back inside the wick for strength so you don't bend it when attaching to the top post (assuming you are using a genesis mod like the AGA T2)
Agree with all of the above and also I have tried the mesh with a wick up the middle and results are also to be recommended.

Anyone got advise on filling an S. when I use a syringe with about 1ml no matter what angle and speed I go at it starts coming out the same hole. Now is this air/vacuum/or what. Looking for a fail proof method.

thanks guys, guessing by the above that maybe I had a few issues but first attempt and all that.

I acutually did the oxidation twice so dont think that is a issue.

My errors,

Wick was touching bottom ( it did however still fire)
Wick too tight

As I say it did sort of work but not super great, juices was going up but not to any extent. The paperclip idea is great.

What I did was this I found that a 2.5mm drill fitted the atty just right so I made the wick to also fit hole(too tight though) then I coiled using the drill bit.
Then I phased the coil (with out the drill present)
Then put the wick in.

Think my next attempt will be a little less mesh and use a paperclip and coil with the wick in place.

Back
Top Bottom