What's new

Silica in bulk

whit77

Anyone know where you can get balls or reels of the stuff, tired of buying it by the metre :)

If you havent bought it yet, hang fire, there has been a couple of posts on here, by members who have had an issue with this company. Probably isolated, but have you asked stealthvape if he could give you a price for 50 metres? :)

If you havent bought it yet, hang fire, there has been a couple of posts on here, by members who have had an issue with this company. Probably isolated, but have you asked stealthvape if he could give you a price for 50 metres? :)

Was going to order first thing in the morning, will leave it then and I'm in no great rush, suppose it couldn't hurt to ask rob:)

10m spools of wick are in the pipeline me hearties. Prob a month away or so.

Silica wick is a glass fibre with with an extremely high silica content 96% that's good for temperatures up to 1600. If they managed to fit another 1 or 2 % silica into the fibres I think we could call it quartz wick.

There's an awful lot of types of glass fibre, and a lot of different grades too.

Some places just use the word silica to pull in punters. There 'is' silica in most glass fibres, just not as much and a load of other stuff hence it's lower temperature resistance.

General rule of thumb is, if they're not showing off about the silica percentage in the description its just a kind of higher temperature glass fibre. normally good for about 1000c.

We've considered stocking it, I even have 20kg of ceramic fibre wick but it's not good enough for SV.

Unless @ZT braved the ceramic woolly wick stuff?

When manufacturers even talk about their 'made with 98% silica fibres' you still have to push and ask what else, just to find there are only a few high silica strands and the rest is alumina-silicate fibre. Ekowool spin it a bit like that. They say on their website something like, and I quote 'contains silica fibres and stuff'

WHATS THE STUFF EKOWOOL?

Silica is king, accept no cheap alternatives

EDIT: I'll ask my silica dude about getting some extra as a 50m reel if you like. We get them to bag it at source these days as it's hard to find the time to do it ourselves.

EDIT2: There's no way I could do silica at 48p a metre. My advice is to try a bit from a few suppliers and see what the difference is. If you don't notice, or you're happy with the other stuff then stick with that. If however you have an epiphany and you're all 'omg this stuff from Stealthvape is the s%$t, Rob was right then give me a shout :)

Last edited:
10m spools of wick are in the pipeline me hearties. Prob a month away or so.
Does this mean you are out of stock till then? I need some pretty urgently and would rather have your stuff as its far superior to another that I've tried in terms of wicking, flavour and overall quality. IMHO your stuff as always IS the shizzle :D

Back
Top Bottom