What's new

Russian 91% help needed

OK so can anyone point me in the direction of a decent build I could try that wont give these dry hits for the first couple of draws? something 1 coil (keeping it simple as not been building long), wire width and what your wrapping round would help!

Like a warm but not hot vape and something that will give decent vapor and flavor.

My builds are a nice cool vape which suits me so im not much help with that question I think you are using too much cotton. Make sure the cotton is not too tight and can move easily through the coil. Prime your wick by sucking in without firing, you should see some air bubbles rising in the tank. Also your coiling is heating evenly? It should heat from inside out. Hope this helps. I would go 7-8 wraps .28 kanthal should come out at 1.3-1.5 ohms.

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

My kayfuns struggle to keep up if I push them past 17 watts (on 1.3-1.8 ohm coils). If you want to vape at higher wattages then you may want to look into getting a dual coil tank with better airflow. The orchid is my current fave.

I find different juices suit different wattage for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Ok thanks all, ill order some .28 and try less cotton however I do not use much (easily can pull out, but not fall out)

I also make sure the coil heats from center outwards.

I guess its just wick related and will take some playing around with.

I do 7 wraps of 0.32mm(28gauge) kanthal around a 2mm drillbit. Comes in at about 1.2ohms. Enough cotton so it slides through the coil with a little bit of resistance. I cut the cotton so its literally just touching the shelf below(obviously the cotton needs some juice otherwise it wont stay where its put). I always thought the more cotton, the better it would wick but the opposite seems to be true. I've tried all sorts of different ways and this works perfectly for me.

+1 for the 28awg on 2mm drill bit that used to be one of my favorites. Now I use 26awg,7 wraps on 3/32 (2.38mm) drill bit coming out at .8-.9 ohms. One problem that plagued me for a long time was the recommendation that "less cotton is more" which always gave me dry hits because there wasn't enough wick to keep up with my coil.
Keep in mind that I take 3-4 second lung hits so luckily I discovered that using more cotton fixed this problem. In my experience it takes a whole lot of cotton in a coil to choke it off but go just a little to light and its dry hit city. Making sure the cotton has good resistance inside the coil is very important imo.

Here's an example of how much cotton I use and how I set it up on the deck. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414985998.772344.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414986014.281253.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414985976.570833.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all, that is more cotton than I used, maybe I went to light so I'll give it a try but I'm going to wait till my new wire comes, I ordered some .32 and some .36 i think it was! They only had 27g in stock rather than any 26.

ill get more wraps at least, so more surface area.

Strange problem this, read loads about dry hits but never on the first couple of puffs, always after a few!

Using currently 0.30 Kanthall, 6/7 wraps around a 2.4mm screwdriver gives me around 1.2ohm.

Cotton wick sitting flush on the deck, no dry hits whatsoever :)

However i do put a few drops of liquid on the cotton to shape it on the deck and i have no dry hits from first fire, but logically it wouldnt anyway as ive coated the wicks in juice before hand.

Danny K brings up a good point. I also put a few drops on the cotton to shape it on the deck. This way your wick is nice and saturated but it also won't hurt to give a few primer hits before you fire it for the first time.

Using currently 0.30 Kanthall, 6/7 wraps around a 2.4mm screwdriver gives me around 1.2ohm.

Cotton wick sitting flush on the deck, no dry hits whatsoever :)

However i do put a few drops of liquid on the cotton to shape it on the deck and i have no dry hits from first fire, but logically it wouldnt anyway as ive coated the wicks in juice before hand.

So it can work with the wire I have, strange! when i say dry hits the first few puffs, I dont only mean the very first, actually its fine the very first few (as I primed it) I mean more if I leave my mod for 30mins, then have a few puffs, the first couple (usually the 2nd) is dry, but after this its fine and I can chain vape it. I then put it down for another 30 to 60 mins, then again same problem, first few puffs (usually the 2nd) is dry. Weird!

I am also just putting the cotton on the deck, not covering but right next to the channels, much like pictured before and as seen all over youtube.

I might take it apart again, re build and take some pics so you can all see what I am using, maybe im missing something?

Last edited:
I recoiled and wicked earlier if I'd thought about I could have shot some picks, its now half full of snake oil when it empties I'll do some pics.
By all means upload some of yours.

Back
Top Bottom