What's new

Ribbon troubles.

yodadude

Postman
Ok, using 0.10 x 0.50mm nichrome ribbon @ 23.75 ohms/m on an Aga T2. Whether I use ss rope or ss mesh or silica, after 9 wraps of this stuff, I get between 0.5 and 0.9 ohms. I began with 3 wraps and worked up but I can't physically wrap any more ribbon to raise the ohms. Same with my other atty, but I managed to scrape 1.2 with about 11 wraps. So glad I was kindly donated the ribbon sample, I'm thinking twice about buying some.

11 wraps of ribbon?? stick with about 5, the more you put on the more they'll probably touch, if they do the ohms will be much lower. I've seen some coils with 18/19 wraps of wire so it's like a tube, you get low ohms with those

Sounds like you have a short to me, especially on the rope and mesh.

What diameter silica are you using? I think I'm getting something like 1.8 with 5 wraps on a mesh wick. Don't think I've got the hang of mesh yet, although the cigarette paper trick helped with my first wick

Tried a silica wick yesterday made with 2 x 2mm strands yesterday, but it's too constrained by the hole to wick properly, a 5/6 wrap worked out at 2.8 ohms

I may try it again today, still doubling the wick at the coil, but with just a single strand going into the tank.

Got some more supplies on order (different wick sizes, ekowool, more mesh), when they arrive I'm going to see if I can manage to fit an ekowool collar around the mesh wick (probably easier said than done!), and then coil around that

I believe I have but I also worked out, I need 80cm of this ribbon to achieve 1.9 ohms. That's a lot lol.

the ribbon is a low ohm one, I have used 0.1 x 0.3 and 0.1 x 0.4. The 0.3 is about the same as 0.2 and as youd imagine the 0.4 is a little lower ohms. I must say that I like the ribbon but the 0.5 is better suited to people with mech mods

I may try it again today, still doubling the wick at the coil, but with just a single strand going into the tank.

Not too long after posting that I realised that I didn't need to recoil it at all, just carefully pull one of the wicks back out through the hole and trim it. Works pretty well now

woooo, 6 wraps/fag paper trick and half hour fiddling. Works a treat at 1.3 ohms. Pain in the ass fiddling, get it to 1.2 and then fire it up at 3v, jumps down to .5, but I stuck at it and finished as above.

Back
Top Bottom