Vape Club
What's new

Recoiling: Too Much Choice

I use 0.25 wire now on either ekowool or silica and again in different thicknesses just depends on how I feel at the time lol

A good start is 0.2 and 2mm silica

With wire thicker it is less resistance per wrap you get and the opposite for thiner.

So I use a wire which gives me slightly lower resistance per wrap.

I normally do 1.2-1.4ohms and am using a mech mod. If using a vamo or similar youll need to have a higher resistance or it wont fire youll just get a error code

Last edited:
Innokin
And how would it differ using one or more strands of 2mm wick in comparison to double the amount of 1mm wicks?

I have 5 Egos, 1 a twist and the others fixed voltage. I have the itaste VV V3.0 on order, so though I will have the means to adjust voltage, and will probably mainly use the VV batteries, I will want to make coils that will be ideal for the fixed voltage batteries (e.g. I have a little 450mah ego that's great for stealthing, and I'll still want to use that). I've found that heads reported to be below 2ohms seem to be better with the fixed voltage, but that's not universal across heads, and some marked as 2.4ohm seem to vape OK on the fixed egos (though I'm aware this could be due to the hit & miss nature of ohmage on pre-purchased heads).

I don't know if it influences the decision, but I'm happy with a cooler vape (though don't mind the warm vape of DCTs), but I don't like a harsh throat hit - so if a certain ohmage vs power influences the vape, I'd lean towards a smoother vapour.

Is it worth getting a selection of Kanthal, or am I better off sticking to one recommended guage? (.2)

Vape Green
id get .2 mate and aim for 1.6 or 1.8 which im sure youll find good.

Its all trial and error I started with .2 now I have a selection .2, .16, .25, ribbon .3, .4, .5 I like the ribbon but the wire on silica for me seems to last longer although in some respects I prefer the vape of the ribbon.

The .2 is a good all rounder I find and I still use it. 1m of wire will last a fair many re-coils.
Whereas the silica youll get through quicker ime

Silica is easier to wrap as Ekowool is hollow, if you wrap a coil around ekowool too tight then you can stangle the wick, which restricts the juice getting to the coil and the amount of wick to coil contact you have so you get more dryer hits and a less smooth vape.

I'd get a mixed bag of kanthal and some 2mm silica to start with, it also depends a bit on what atomiser you're recoiling for.

e.g. a vivi nova head does better with 3 1mm strands of wick, If you're using the heads on fixed voltage batteries then aim at 1.8ohms - if you're mostly using them on a VV battery then aim at a little over 2 ohms.

If you want smoother cooler vapour then use thicker wire and more wraps (more wick to wire contact area and more surface area to vape the e-liquid will mean a slightly cooler but still flavourful vapour)

The bigger the number, the thicker the wire and the lower the resistance for a given length.

Elux
Thank you for that, it was really useful,
Still struggling a bit with the science of resistance, but I'll try to replicate what others have described on here and just test it & see how I go.
I'll be coiling for Evods, Protanks & Protank Minis - all of which are cooler vapes anyway of course.
I took advantage of the impressive deal on ebay from another thread and got a 10m roll of A1 Kanthal .20, as this seems to be the most popular size,k but I may still get the mixed pack as well. I've also ordered 2mm silica - again, seems to be the most common size.

thats you set for life then Ive been recoiling now for 4 mths roughly and havent even used 1m lol, although I suppose I do use all different wires etc.

Youll soon find what you prefer, just experiment

AcmeFog
Thank you for that, it was really useful,
Still struggling a bit with the science of resistance, but I'll try to replicate what others have described on here and just test it & see how I go.
I'll be coiling for Evods, Protanks & Protank Minis - all of which are cooler vapes anyway of course.
I took advantage of the impressive deal on ebay from another thread and got a 10m roll of A1 Kanthal .20, as this seems to be the most popular size,k but I may still get the mixed pack as well. I've also ordered 2mm silica - again, seems to be the most common size.

If you're coiling for protanks then try to get thin wicks, you can double up easily, its far more difficult to slim wick down...
We should now have an FAQ entry in the Wiki for VV/VW, hopefully it will explain the settings for you and may even clear up your resistance questions if it doesn't let me know whats bothering you and I'll try to help, possibly even turning that into an FAQ entry too...

Last edited:
I am struggling with .16mm nichrome wire and 1mm ekowool. Apparently ekowool is not that great. Tell me about it.
Going to try a different size of both wick and wire next.
maybe a larger dripper as my baby octopus is pretty small.
I don't know how the guys here with big hands manage it! Hats off to ya.

I placed an order for an itaste vv v3 the day before you. I wonder who will get theirs first. :)

Royal Flush Vape
Midnight, try putting a darning needle through the centre of the ekowool when coiling. That will help with the crushing problem.
I also use it to back silica, so I can coil real tight. Then when you pull out the needle, you end up with a nice snug coil.
Straightened paper clip and safety pin also work for this method.

itaste SVD for me, ordered last night. So the race is on.

Back
Top Bottom