What's new

Rebuildable beginner in pictures~

RZ7

Postman
So, I had a go at rebuilding some parts a while back, and I thought I'd share a few thoughts and pictures from someone pretty new to it!

First up this afternoon was the IGO-L. It's a brilliant dripper and I'm really, really happy with it. Unbelievably easy to coil and set up - definitely a great place to start with rebuilding coils. This is actually my second build on the IGO, the first wound up being high resistance (2.9ohms) which was fine on my Lavatube but having acquired a mech, I wanted to remake one with a lower coil that I could work just fine on either device. The old coil worked great, and this new one seems to work just as great - maybe better. Came to 1.4ohms, which is perfect as it'll fire on both devices comfortably.

IMG_20130710_202818.jpg

And here's the close ups, including a shot of the happily glowing coils and with the cap on (I drilled out the airhole to 1.5mm, as I found I do prefer an airier draw...) I used 30awg Kanthal and 3mm Ekowool Silica.

IMG_20130710_202844.jpgIMG_20130710_203036.jpgIMG_20130710_203139.jpg

Next up, just after dinner I took apart my RSST and rebuilt it. I pretty much only use this on my Sigelei 19 so even though the ohms are too low to fire on my LT, I'm not too concerned about it!

As an aside, the RSST has been absolutely amazing over the past few weeks that I've had it. I've been taking it with me to work almost every day and have had no leaking issues even carrying it in my pocket - though I was careful not to let it lie flat inside my jacket for too long. I'm reusing the same wick I rolled the first time (which was again, not as tricky to get set up as I was expecting, although rolling it narrow enough took me some time... maybe I used too much mesh? Either way, it fits fine now and wicks down to last few drops with very little tilting.) The first set up took a bit of fiddling to get right - thought I had a mysterious short somewhere and tinkered for like 20 minutes before realising I'd tightened the centre post down too low and it had pushed in my connection on the LT just enough to have wonky readings... -___-;

Though I'd love to get more Genesis-style tanks, I really have come to appreciate the little things on the RSST that I'm sure I'd miss with other devices: the insulated wick hole, the sealed-bottom tank which means I don't need to worry about the wick shorting against the base, the spring loaded centre post. If the AC9 is even better than this - I definitely want one!

Some pictures of the set up (30awg Kanthal and #400 SS Mesh) which came to 1.2ohms. It's too low so won't fire on the LT, but is right at home on the S 19! Using it with a plastic drip tip just because I think it looks cool when it's all fogged up on the inside, matches the cloudy tank :P

IMG_20130710_214312.jpgIMG_20130710_214920.jpgIMG_20130710_215011.jpgIMG_20130710_215131.jpg

Last but not least, I had a go at rewicking another Protank head. This was a little trickier because of the small space, but squeezing up the coils once I'd placed them inside the head worked out just fine. Big thank you to Whistler for the step-by-step How To - it was invaluable!

IMG_20130710_220712.jpgIMG_20130710_220649.jpg

I apologise for spamming you all with pictures, but I'm quite pleased with myself and felt like sharing! As ever, I would love to hear anything you guys have to say about it - any comments, advice or suggestions would be very welcome! :D

Too tired to comment and I'm not a prolific rebuilder but that is a great post, terrific photos and good looking coils :)

Back
Top Bottom