What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

RE: R-NR wire joins - the Pistachio method

Darthpistachio

Postman
I have tried all manner of ways of joining the dreaded R-NR wires together. - The standard twist method is OK but more often than not ends up a bit loose with resistance readings wavering.

The wire zappers are OK but only if you have a good quality one costing over £50 - I have a cheaper version and it works but only about 50% of the time - and then you don't want to know how many expletives have been uttered when I wind the coil onto my wick and you hear that dreaded "ping" when the join breaks! Not fun at all ...

The reef knot variation is good in principle - BUT it's bulky and awkward to get them tight together so that the connection does not suffer with resistance dancing.

No for me with experience I found that the standard twist method with a bit more of an OCD variation works the best.

You will need some good tools for this method and they are as follows:

attachment.php
attachment.php

A good quality flat nosed non toothed pliers. These are the ones sold for beading aficionados - ideal.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Plastic jawed pliers - again beading ones - ideal for holding differing diameter wires together..

attachment.php

Good quality snips..

attachment.php

last but not least the wires -of course
wink.png

Now get the two wires alongside each other clamp them in the plastic jawed pliers and have about 8-10mm protruding and splay them apart.
attachment.php

At this stage carefully twist them around each other about 4-5 times by hand...
attachment.php

Now, using the metal pliers grip the twisted wires and continue twisting them again - this will make the twists very tight and ensure against them unraveling later on and during use - continue twists in the same direction for a further 4-5 turns ...
attachment.php

Attachments

• rnr_step1.jpg
    rnr_step1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 83
  • rnr_step2.jpg
    rnr_step2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 87
  • rnr_step3.jpg
    rnr_step3.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 93
  • rnr_step4.jpg
    rnr_step4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 84
  • rnr_step5.jpg
    rnr_step5.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 90
  • rnr_step6.jpg
    rnr_step6.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 83
  • rnr_step8.jpg
    rnr_step8.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 85
  • rnr_step9.jpg
    rnr_step9.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 86
  • rnr_step10.jpg
    rnr_step10.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 84
  • rnr_step11.jpg
    rnr_step11.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
You will see that the twists be come very tight and secure...
attachment.php

Now get your snips and cut the wires at approximately 3mm length
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ast this stage grab your steel pliers again and pinch the twisted wires as close to the end of the jaws as you can like so:
attachment.php

now using the steel pliers to hold the wires put down the plastic jawed one and begin to fold the softer NR wire over the top and flat against the blunt ends of the jaws of the steel pliers...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

you can release the setup now and squeeze the wires together with the pliers to make the fold over as small as possible
Then grab the wires with about 2-3mm of the twisted part extending and start wrapping the softer NR wire around the twist - do this about 2 times and then pull the wire straight..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• rnr_step11.jpg
    rnr_step11.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 88
  • rnr_step12.jpg
    rnr_step12.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 83
  • rnr_step13.jpg
    rnr_step13.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 81
  • rnr_step14.jpg
    rnr_step14.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 90
  • rnr_step15.jpg
    rnr_step15.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 83
  • rnr_step16.jpg
    rnr_step16.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 83
  • rnr_step17.jpg
    rnr_step17.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 81
  • rnr_step18.jpg
    rnr_step18.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 89
  • rnr_step19.jpg
    rnr_step19.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 93
  • rnr_step20.jpg
    rnr_step20.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
attachment.php

What you will be left with is a small neat wire join - that is secure enough to not unravel and to maintain a good electrical conductive join - it takes up minimum space - easily occupied alongside a piece of 2-3mm silica wick and will be easy to put into the coil well of atties like the penelope and the ithaka for example.

attachment.php

I have found this to be the most reliable method so far - it LOOKS like a lot of faff - but regularly every two weeks I spend one hour and make up about 20 of these - for a penny or ithaka you only need one NR tail so it's even quicker - if you need one other side then just repeat the process.. I'm at the point now that I have about 60 of these in a RUB ready to go..

Attachments

• rnr_step21.jpg
    rnr_step21.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 85
  • rnr_step22.jpg
    rnr_step22.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 81
Can't see a single word in Tapatalk.

Try now :)

some times the forum is a bit picky with copy n paste :D if you see blank posts like this one, just report it so one of us can come edit it :D

Back
Top Bottom