What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Question about voltage draw on series mods

In parallel, not in series.

Any mod putting out over 80W will be a series device.

OP, I’m still not clear what you are asking as your questions are mixing terms and scenarios. As I’ve already written, what is happening with the output of a regulated device has absolutely no relevance to a mech mod.

nah, it doesn't matter on a regulated mod .... not for the amp draw, it will be the same.

although like you have no idea what is being asked or hypothesized in the original question.

My mod is saying 28amps and 4 volts on 100watts? I have 2 30 amp batteries in and its a series mod, so you're saying regulated mods half your amp draw?! :eek:

Howcome my alien is pulling 28amps on 100watts with half battery and max potential voltage of 8.4 volts when resistance is not an issue in regulated mods? Is this just because the calculations in the smok alien are a bit whacky

c6L0cUI

(Picture of my mod screen here) -

I have no idea what you are saying ... it's supplying 4v to your coil to get you the 100w that you are asking for. If you had a much higher resistance coil it would need to supply more voltage to get that 100w, but the amp draw would still be the same on the cells. On a regulated mod it's the wattage you have it set at that determines the amp draw (which will increase as your cells drop in voltage, the opposite on a mech)

If I set my mod I'm vaping on right now to 20w it has to send 5.5v to the coil but my battery is at 3.5v.

just read this, I have a headache

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...ad-using-a-regulated-mod.128294/#post-1394393

For a mech using series cells:

The highest PD applied = 8.4V
You claimed current limit for the cells is 30A

Therefore the lowest build you can use is 0.28 ohm coil

On first firing, this gives a power output of 252W, which will rapidly diminish as the cells run down.
So how would i be able to get 220 watts on the regulated alien with my amp draw at around 30?
I have no idea what you are saying ... it's supplying 4v to your coil to get you the 100w that you are asking for. If you had a much higher resistance coil it would need to supply more voltage to get that 100w, but the amp draw would still be the same on the cells. On a regulated mod it's the wattage you have it set at that determines the amp draw (which will increase as your cells drop in voltage, the opposite on a mech)

If I set my mod I'm vaping on right now to 20w it has to send 5.5v to the coil but my battery is at 3.5v.

just read this, I have a headache

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...ad-using-a-regulated-mod.128294/#post-1394393
Thanks for trying to help, with your help ive been able to clear up a few things and it's appreciated, im absolutely clear on my confusion about mech mods now. I understand everything thats been said and have no conflicted opinions, but just as a final question would it be possible to use all 220 watts on the smok alien and how would you do this? As youve said ohms doesnt affect amp draw or voltage on regulated mods, so how would you be able to achieve 220 watts? If you think about the coil having lower resistance this means that current and voltage can pass through it more easily as a scientific observation. If the coil is higher resistance or more ohms it will restrict the current and voltage meaning more voltage must be used. Theoretically to achieve 220 watts if you bring the coil resistance up this will require more volts and amps to heat up the coil, I'm mostly curious about whether at this resistance the mod will decide to send more voltage and keep the amps down because in mech mods the amps are decreased when the resistance is increased, or whether the moderator part of the alien will just randomly decide to throw a mix of amps and volts at higher wattage and not send all potential volts through whilst using minimal current.

Currently the mod seems to be restricting the voltage use and using an unecessary amount of amps.

I will be testing this anyway, im going to build some 0.3ohm coils because im interested to see how the extra surface area on the coils to wick will perform but also interested to see if there are any noticeable differences in the amps and voltage ratio used in the regulated mod. I was just curious if anyone could answer this before i actually tested it. If the coil performs badly i can just take it out and save it for when i get my stacked mech because I'll have to build 0.3ohms then anyhow.

Separate the questions, regulated bears no resemblance to mech vaping. I'd advocate taking the bottom tube off the stacked broadside and use it in standard 18650 configuration until you're comfortable with setting it up and understand what can be achieved with a good build.

There's a Mech section in the forum which should cover most of your mech series build questions and keep you safe.

Good luck and enjoy the broadside :D

Separate the questions, regulated bears no resemblance to mech vaping. I'd advocate taking the bottom tube off the stacked broadside and use it in standard 18650 configuration until you're comfortable with setting it up and understand what can be achieved with a good build.

There's a Mech section in the forum which should cover most of your mech series build questions and keep you safe.

Good luck and enjoy the broadside :D
Thankyou!

I see now what people are trying to say about there being no resemblance, im just trying to understand how tf youre meant to achieve 220 watts on the regulated smok alien if it pushes your amps up to 28amps on 100watts?!?

Cant wait to get rid of my regulated mod, seems like regulated is really annoying to try and build with because of how it works and messes around and starts putting out more amps than necessary

Last edited:
Forget the amps on regulated, just dial in the watts and vape, let it regulate, that's it's job. Your second sentence doesn't make any sense to me.

Forget the amps on regulated, just dial in the watts and vape, let it regulate, that's it's job. Your second sentence doesn't make any sense to me.
Oh sorry i meant to say i cant wait to get rid of my regulated device and get my mech.

If i turn the device up to say 200watts and puff it draws 34amps and 4.6volts from my batteries, my batteries are LG HB6s and rated at a max cont amp output of 30amps. I read somewhere that pushing amps on batteries can cause it to shorten the life span and of course potentially vent and explode too. Seeing as regulated mods dont actually calculate the amps in the used batteries (or so i believe) wouldnt pushing 220 watts on even a regulated device cause the possibility of venting and also decrease the health of your batteries

At 1500mah, those HB6's will flatten in a heartbeat at 200W

At 1500mah, those HB6's will flatten in a heartbeat at 200W
Ive got 2 sets on the go and I dont really chain vape, i like taking huge puffs and im satisfied after only a few. I also want to push 200amps just cause i like building and experimenting

This guy has many informative videos to occupy your time - here's just one to start with:

Back
Top Bottom