What's new

noob coil making question

I'll be building like a champ in no time :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

I'm new as well but have picked up some tips from YouTube and forums..

I use an electric drill on slow to make my wire straight before I start. I bend an L in the length of wire and clamp that tight in the chuck with the wire coming out dead-center. Grab the other end of the wire with pliers and run the drill. Keep the wire tight but allow it to shrink a bit as it twists. Stop before it snaps or kinks. You'll have a dead-straight wire to work with.

I use a mini blow torch to heat the coil red-hot once it's wound on the drill bit I use to coil round (it's in a clamp, not held with fingers!) then compress it with pliers (ceramic tweezers would be better) till it cools and holds it's shape (heating and cooling removes some of the springyness). I then slip it off the bit and gently squeeze it with pliers, zap it red hot with the blowtorch again, run it under a cold tap and repeat until happy.

You can try using the correct diameter bolt with a wide, deep thread to wrap round instead of a drill-bit or screwdriver to encourage even coils. Obviously you have to unscrew the coil from it and will need the same size of bit or screwdriver for positioning the coil in the deck because you want something that just slides out for that.

Once fitted to the deck I check resistance, heat red hot on a mod, jiggle the bit inside the coil (not when firing the mod!) and gently squeeze coils together and tweak position with pliers until I am happy that it's neat, secure, in the right position and has stable resistance.

Maybe a bit of a faff but works for me. Coils are always tidy, stable and within 0.01 ohm of my target.

wraith, sounds like you've got it susses. Definitely well ahead of my clumsy ass :-)

Just research, practice and determination to do it as well as possible. You'll get there in no time mate.

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1426083355.581070.jpg

Getting there slowly

Baby steps m8 I'd say give ya positive lead a bit more slack so you can get ya coil straighter try just nipping the leads gently in the posts so you can jiggle them about to get lined up nicely then tighten fully once ya happy getting there tho m8 keep it up

I'm having more luck giving myself more wire to play with I must admit and have even managed to dual coil my Omega with 0.25, it took ages to do it without breaking the wire when heating and shaping.

That thin wire is a fiddle get ya self some 27 gauge 0.35mm wire it's a world easier to manipulate I always keep 0.25 0.35 0.40 0.45 0.60 gives loads of flexibility but tbh I wouldn't worry bout the 0.6 atm that makes proper low ohmage builds like 0.09 which your I stick won't fire lol

You should also try heating the wire with a lighter (if you don't have a torch) before wrapping the coil which will remove some of the springiness..

As said above.. Are you leaving the tool through the coil while tightening the legs down? That should help it keep its shape.

It also may be worth trying some thicker wire.. It coils much easier the thicker you go (to an extent), you'll obviously need more wraps to get to your desired Ohms..

If you're still struggling after a load more practice, send me a message and I'll send you one of those Kuro coil tools.. I've got one spare.

That's my next order sorted out then.

In negotiations with the Mrs for the Sigelei 150W and probably some cloned mech mods.

To be fair she's been dropping subtle hints about me stopping smoking for years through the veil of her occasional fag smoke (don't you just love Drs?)

Back
Top Bottom