What's new

newbie rta advice request

MINEXPLORER

Postman
Hi.ive always been a diy er. ive only been using a sub ohm for two weeks and already ive realised, i want the freedom from expensive manufacturer coils. i bought a simple fixed 40watt vapouritz vbox in their sale for £12.99.

The coils are expensive at £12.99 for 5 and ive not been impressed with the quality. Original one was great ,lots flavour an stil pretty good after 10 days. next was DOA, 2 others had little flavour and seemed to burn on first use. (despite ensuring good saturation before use,an not chain vaping etc) ive washed them ,seem okish now,will see. 5th awesome..but put back til others used up.

would like, at least for now to use this 40w mod. It says 0.3-1 ohm, 20 amps.

Ive considerable experience with modding Ebike controller shunt wires, for higher Amps.

Do i understand what ive read correctly.As the wire thickness determines the ohm resistance,so the VBOX should be fine if i use wire for around .5 ohm coils ? incidently the vapouritz .5 ohm coils measure 0.6-0.7 with my multimeter ( allowing for its 0.3 base reading).

What im still unsure of is the RTA tank to buy. ive read this website article. 'VAPEBEAT ,BEST RTA TANK FOR BEGINNERS'. Can i get a little more input on this ,as many dont state for what WATTAGE they are aimed at. Obviously mines 40w max,which drops off with battery depletion. Im not interested in cloud chasing ,so should i stick to single coil? i want DTL with GOOD flavour production.

Much thanks for any advice,Rad

The only factor to consider, in view of your 40 watt mod and your MTL preference, is buying a single coil tank.

You won't do better than the Kayfun 5, but these are pricey and clones are now hard to come by.

@zouzounaki @eyeball kid @Simon G may have more ideas.

I think a single coil tank is the obvious choice. What kind of airflow are you after @MINEXPLORER ? Something tight, a wind tunnel, or something in the middle? The kayfun prime might be a good bet, it’s similar to the kayfun 5 @Ment mentioned but a tad smaller and a bit more restricted airflow but you could still get a lung hit out of it on the biggest airflow hole. It vapes very well and produces nice flavoursome vapour.

edit: although I just re read your post, it’s not going to be great on a fixed 40 w mod.

If you're getting into rebuildables, don't limit yourself, get a decent mod, or at least half decent. It's not a large expense.

For a single coil RTA that gives good flavour you could do a lot worse than the Steam Crave Aromamizer Lite.

Kayfuns are great RTAs but a bit pricey for a first one. The OFRF Gear RTA is nice compact single coil RTA which is pretty easy to build on retailing for about £25. You can also get a bubble glass to push up the capacity to 3.5ml. I'm sure you'll get lots of other good suggestions here.

thanks guys. i ve been using the quite airy VBOX wide open so far. ive read MTL requires much lower watts than this 40w mod,but do you think it would be preferable and compatible for a MTL Rta then? Are none of the tanks mentioned in the vapebeat article any good then ,not even the Augvape intake rta? i liked the fact they were all reviewed as 100% leakproof ones. i will check out the suggestions but im easy on either MTL or DTL this early on.

I would like to make use of what ive bought so far tho.
Im totally new to vaping and it was so overwhelming the seeming billions of devices to choose from.

Last edited:
I think, as others have said, that you won't do well on a fixed wattage mod. With a rebuildable atomizer it means you will need to:

• find the build that works well at that wattage, 40W are quite high for a lot of restricted/MTLish tank, for instance the Kayfun 5 works perfectly for me at 25W
  • replicate this build every single time to get a good vape
Consider buying a variable wattage mod, an ileaf Pico is a great start.

I think, as others have said, that you won't do well on a fixed wattage mod. With a rebuildable atomizer it means you will need to:

• find the build that works well at that wattage, 40W are quite high for a lot of restricted/MTLish tank, for instance the Kayfun 5 works perfectly for me at 25W
  • replicate this build every single time to get a good vape
Consider buying a variable wattage mod, an ileaf Pico is a great start.
yeah looks that way,my brain is bleeding from all night research regarding tanks ,all seem to get good and bad reviews.i did like the look of the AUGVAPE INTAKE & OFRF GEAR.but they also have slaggers.thanks

Last edited:
yeah looks that way,my brain is bleeding from all night research regarding tanks ,all seem to get good and bad reviews.i did like the look of the AUGVAPE INTAKE & OFRF GEAR.but they also have slaggers.thanks
Everyone is different and there are always slaggers

Everyone is different and there are always slaggers
well im totally mentally worn out researching, Ive just closed my eyes ant hit BUY on a OFRF GEAR an a spool of 26awg A1 an will live with the decision. I can experiment with different wire materials later when more experienced.
Looking now for a variable wattage (replaceable battery) mod box for £40 ish price range any suggestions anyone.My brains already getting fogged again by all the thousands of choices. thanks Rad

Back
Top Bottom