Vape Club
What's new

New to Rebuildables- just bought my first RTA & RDAs, do I need to do much with premade coils?

Hi everyone,

Just getting into RTAs and RDAs and bought a few that were on offer the last couple of weeks, including The Drop Solo, Dead Rabbit RDAs, Advken Manta, Zeus X, Dvawrv, Wake and Juggerknot RTAs.

Some of them come with premade coils, and I also ordered some premade coils off fastech. I have bought a Coilmaster V3 kit too so I can learn to make my own.

Do the premade coils usually work perfectly as they are and all I need to do is mount and wick them properly or should I test them on the coilmaster first for hotspots/resistence etc?

Vape Superstore
Hi everyone,

Just getting into RTAs and RDAs and bought a few that were on offer the last couple of weeks, including The Drop Solo, Dead Rabbit RDAs, Advken Manta, Zeus X, Dvawrv, Wake and Juggerknot RTAs.

Some of them come with premade coils, and I also ordered some premade coils off fastech. I have bought a Coilmaster V3 kit too so I can learn to make my own.

Do the premade coils usually work perfectly as they are and all I need to do is mount and wick them properly or should I test them on the coilmaster first for hotspots/resistence etc?
To burn or not is still a vibrant discussion, in vaping. But yes. I'd say, unless you space your coils, you need to bed them in and eliminate hotspots.

Do you personally space your coils then? So you're just making sure there's enough gaps with each coil bind by adjusting them with a screwdriver or something?

To burn or not is still a vibrant discussion, in vaping. But yes. I'd say, unless you space your coils, you need to bed them in and eliminate hotspots.

AcmeFog
fit coils, and always teat burn them pre wicking, to ensure they heat up evenly especially crucial with 2x or more coil builds.

If not strum the coils with a blade or something until they do burn evenly.

failure to do so will inevitably lead to a hotspot on a coil burning cotton sooner or later..

enjoy

Test burn I assume you mean?

I've watched a couple of videos so have an idea of what to do. coilmster kit has arrived, am waiting for one of the single coil RDAs/RTAs to arrive first before attempting as the Advken Manta is dual coil, and imagine it would be easier to learn on a single deck.

Once you've tested coil, and wicked it, I assume is it the case you usually just put enough liquid on it without filling tank completely for a test vape in case you've messed it up because it would be very messy trying to untangle it if you've filled up the tank and its not wicked properly...

fit coils, and always teat burn them pre wicking, to ensure they heat up evenly especially crucial with 2x or more coil builds.

If not strum the coils with a blade or something until they do burn evenly.

failure to do so will inevitably lead to a hotspot on a coil burning cotton sooner or later..

enjoy

Vape Club
The Manta gives really nice flavour and I found it to be pretty easy to build and wick.

It's definitely good fun : )

Definitely check on your coil master to check for shorts ect and start reading ohm law, so you know the limits of your batteries, builds ect.

One mistake I made on my first rda was very time I added the second coil the ohm would be halved it confused the hell out of me thought it was broken lol

Make sure you got plenty of time and don't rush, plenty of good informative videos on the tube and ofcource on here too.

AcmeFog
Test burn I assume you mean?

Once you've tested coil, and wicked it, I assume is it the case you usually just put enough liquid on it without filling tank completely for a test vape in case you've messed it up because it would be very messy trying to untangle it if you've filled up the tank and its not wicked properly...

I normally drench the coil in some liquid after wicking, fire it, add more liquid. I close it up ready to fill but give it a test fire and vape to make sure coil hasn’t moved or shorted on the cap before I fill( ie check ohms are same as when you built it). Depending on the tank you may need to experiment with wicking to make sure you get enough juice without flooding it or getting dry hits. Reviewers normally show how they do this.

personally I prefer single coil atties for both MTL and restricted direct lung. I Usually only dual coil in RDAs for dripping on mech mods. For me, Single is easier in an rta and saves battery but you may prefer dual.

on your list the drop and dead rabbit are postless from memory so also worth watching review to see how short to cut the leads for optimal airflow. I like to see the coil through the airflow on the drop. I don’t think they come with measuring tools (coily clones) to cut specific leg lengths. You can use something else like a ruler for one leg and other leg by eye. Wicks should be long to touch base of the rda but not bunched up there.

Dvarw is a bit fiddly but great flavour - the bell cap and wicking are best explained by watching video review but the wick comes out like a bow tie - depending on the version and liquid you may want it only blocking / damming the liquid feed holes.

Follow other advice above for hotspots. remember not to touch coils with anything metal while firing. Ceramic tweezers are useful here but not necessary. Let the coil cool before wicking and for gods sake don’t touch it - I still forget occasionally. Also good habit to turn off the mod or ohm reader before you wick it or it is easy to dry fire it. Personally I test fire coils with low light. you don’t want them glowing white from too much heat both for the coil and your insulators. I have melted some in my early days. You are looking for no arcs (bright red points or lines on the coil) and the coil to glow from the middle out.

Edit - forgot to say - test fire at lower wattage (like half or a bit more). than you would vape it and pulse the firing not a long press.

lots there but hopefully helpful. It is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

E-liquids.com
Back
Top Bottom