What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

New clapton coil crackling spitting popping - normal?

wraith

Achiever
Had a search but didn't find anything so title is to help other people searching.

I built my first Clapton coil a couple of days ago (24/32awg, kanthal 2mm inner diameter, 5 wraps, 0.2ohm) and am using it in a Mutation-X v3 on a parallel mech with efest 18650 2500 35a batteries (so 88w fully charged, 68w nominal).

Using 65% vg juice.

The first day it gave great flavour and vapour but after a few seconds lung hitting it would crack (lod!), pop and spit like a demon (jets of vape and hot juice out the airflow holes and tip)

I just started to pulse after the first few seconds when it sounded like it was ready to pop and it was fine.

After a couple of days it's calmed down and I can do ten second lung hits with no unusual behaviour.

Is this normal for a Clapton? I vaguely remember reading somewhere a while ago that they spit but calm down as they bed in?

Would also like to know this.
I have built now my 2nd Clapton and on both im getting big pops and hissing noises after release of the fire button.
I'm using Vapers choice cotton so don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Apart from that I don't think I'll use any other coil as the flavour is by far superior to anything I've built before.

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Aye, as with all new coils, a bit of squeaky bum time is normal. No need to fret...

Think about it, you're putting relatively tepid liquid onto f-g hot metal. Until a layer of either oxidisation or caramelisation has 'gunked' on to the actual metal, you're going top get a wee bit of a reaction.

So, how are you kids getting on with the actual 'bedded in' Claptons?

Think you pair have got confused and are tucking into rice krispies instead - what with all that snap crackle n wotnot going on.

Think the best way i can understand it is the way the clapton is built it itself pretty much becomes a wick and juices sits in them little channels you've created all around the coil. You hit the button, you boil the juice on the outside of the coil and it basically jumps the eff off of there, just like if you drop liquid on a hot stove plate.

They calm down when some shit (best term?) has built up on them

A traditional coil don't wick/burn the juice on the exterior of the coil, do a dry burn and drop a bit of juice on there, its soon jumps back off.

I could be talking shhheeeiiiite.

I vape 35 absolute max and get no spitting from claptons as my ramp up is slower, at 88 watts i'd melt my face with spit back i reckon.

Would also like to know this.
I have built now my 2nd Clapton and on both im getting big pops and hissing noises after release of the fire button.
I'm using Vapers choice cotton so don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Apart from that I don't think I'll use any other coil as the flavour is by far superior to anything I've built before.

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

You got enough cotton in there??

Going to give a Clapton another try as need to recoil a few of my drippers Tomoz, I was always wondering why they done this after reading EmbraSewerRat ,response that makes sense. I just ripped them back out when I tried them the last time.

Aye, as with all new coils, a bit of squeaky bum time is normal. No need to fret...

Think about it, you're putting relatively tepid liquid onto f-g hot metal. Until a layer of either oxidisation or caramelisation has 'gunked' on to the actual metal, you're going top get a wee bit of a reaction.

So, how are you kids getting on with the actual 'bedded in' Claptons?

That's pretty much what I figured. Thanks for confirming.

Now it's stopped going mental it's bloody lovely; tons of flavour and big, thick clouds. Definitely a level up from the simple single, parallel staged and twisted coils I've played with.
Might just be because it's half the resistance of the lowest build I've done yet but really does seem to work better.

Been vaping 65/35 strawberry custard but accidentally dripped in some Swamp Thang just now so will rewick and try it with my 80%vg Absinthe/Mint/Cherry - should be good.

It is a bit on the warm side at 80ish watts. I've got a regulated 55w box en route this week which should be a better match than the Trojan Horse but the only VW device I have won't fire below 0.4ohm and only gives 35w. As the Horse is the only parallel box I have and at 0.2ohm there's not enough safety margin for single 18650 mods it'll live on that until vapemail day.

Now just have to work out how to squeeze this build into the Cthulhu..

Think you pair have got confused and are tucking into rice krispies instead - what with all that snap crackle n wotnot going on.

Think the best way i can understand it is the way the clapton is built it itself pretty much becomes a wick and juices sits in them little channels you've created all around the coil. You hit the button, you boil the juice on the outside of the coil and it basically jumps the eff off of there, just like if you drop liquid on a hot stove plate.

They calm down when some shit (best term?) has built up on them

A traditional coil don't wick/burn the juice on the exterior of the coil, do a dry burn and drop a bit of juice on there, its soon jumps back off.

I could be talking shhheeeiiiite.

I vape 35 absolute max and get no spitting from claptons as my ramp up is slower, at 88 watts i'd melt my face with spit back i reckon.

Sounds about right, as I said above 88 is a bit much but no other option just now.

wound my first Clapton wire for a PV and a DoDge and had the same results at .25 and .30
both sets had a slower ramp up then went mental popping and spitting but after a day of
use have both calmed down and give a nice warm flavourful vape with a decent cloud
wish i had done them ages ago and i am going to make up a few feet for future use.

Back
Top Bottom