What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

My First Dual Coil - bit of an anticlimax

Ok.......

This is a story so far......luke, despite promising me he would go to sleep, has got up and demanded I come settle him down again. Mrs gords wont do as he's a bit of a daddies boy.

However this does not mean we cannor get started.

I used a piece of .45 kanthal that was lay on the bench looking likely. Cos I'm professional an' that...

Here's the start of a micro coil wrapped around the ubiquitous clone screwdriver (I use these as I have a few so dual coils are quite easy and repeatable, they come with many clone attys but anything around 2mm will do).

The great thing about the thicker wire is its not as springy once its been flamed to take the tension out.

Next we need to address the deck.

This proved fiddly tbh but doable. Started the knurled ring, feed in your wire if need be shape in to a hook.

Here's the shape I needed to get the coil in the position I wanted.

And here's how I locate it as central as possible to the well shaft.

You can see I also made off the negative before taking this. Make sure the positive is pushed up hard against the ring as its a potential short problem here.

As you can see we have one scruffy looking micro ish coil. Next step is to get those coils neat and uniform.

First get them glowing. Have your tweezers to hand ready because you want to let off the button, get them
In there and gently pinch them together tgen hold till their cold.

Repeat this process till their nice and uniform, forming what looks a little like a screw thread and the glow from the inside out when pulsed.

I'll have to pause here as I've run out of pictures and the little bugger is not asleep yet.

Fleabag

So as I was saying, pulse and pinch till your coil looks nice and neat.

And it should glow from the inside out.

Next is the wicking. Be prepared to fuck about here, you can guesstimate the length but its easy to feed too much in and clog rather than wick properly. Just try and mark it or work out a straight length with a bit above the coil then cut it.

Here's what I started with

I try to roll it like a roll up ciggie withou twisting the strands as I believe this wicks better (see smoking was useful)

A bit more rolling and this can be trimmed to the right length, including cutting the top to a point and fed in. I try to roll it in the direction of the threads the coils make, so it almost screws down through the coil.

Here's my first attempt, this is how I know you can thread in too much and clog the wick chamber.

There was almost twice as much wick as necessary in ther and you can see the resulting dry burn mark

I made up a new wick and got some results shots.

This cane out at .7ohm when all was done. A bit high for me but usable and the ncr18650 cells I use will probably do three tank fulls to a charge lol. Hope this helps, any micro coil build follows the same principles and it is to me the easiest route to a successful build, I could also pull the cotton and thread through a piece of mesh if I wished.

Last edited:
Aside from the micro bit (which hardly seems worth it with 3 wraps), this is pretty much identical to the process I followed

I await the cotton-feeding :D

Its done Fleabag I ended up drilling the airhole to 2mm as I like an airy draw. It vapes real nice but its likely to drain the tank in a few hours lol, its a real nice little atty though I'm pleased with it.

Really enjoyed following your procedure gords1001, I think mine involved a lot more faffing.

I will have a go at the cotton next time

I dunno Fleabag. You didn't have little luke wanting cuddles and his dad perched on his bed till he settled lol

I've already had to top up the tank too. With cotton, it seems its best to drop a needle tip down the centre so it can breathe through thr fill hole.

Flavours awesome though and its a little cloud machine so I'm a happy bunny. :D

For me, the ideal wick would be cotton through the coil & silica to wick the juice to the cotton. Think I need to master some basics before I design that though

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Yeah, that sounds complicated lol. The cotton works, just the same old adage, less is more.

We'll have to compare notes at ape fest, give the tanks chance to get some mileage on them. I'd like a touch more warmth but this coils staying for now, I'll get silly in a month or so. Or see how the mesh works out as is, I dont think the top o ring will appreciate really silly sub ohms.

The tank didn't fully empty for me either, its a definite strip and clean jobby for a flavour change.

If you have a thin bit of cotton, how do you prevent juice leaking through the wick hole?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

I've not done much of a leak test yet but a two minute invert didn't yeild any dripping.

I try to genesis attys uprihht though for thar reason.

Back
Top Bottom