What's new

My First Dual Coil - bit of an anticlimax

Fleabag

Achiever
I tred my first twisted coil the other day, but I wouldn't say it changed my life - I assumed it was because the resistance was a bit high at 2.1ohms.

Anyway, dripper needed a replacement, so I decided to have a go at a dual coil.

IMGP3745.jpgIMGP3747.jpg

2 coils of 9 wraps - think the screwdriver was about 1.8mm. Final reading 1.4ohms
I'm getting loads of flavour and, if anything, too much throat hit (making me cough a bit), but not nearly the clouds I was expecting

With double the coils and a lovely 1.4ohm reading, I thought I'd be fogging the room! Am I missing something? Do they vape individually like 2 x 2.8ohm coils (I can't see that this is possible)

Nice build ! try dual micro coils next, depending on your mod....raise resistance a little if its too hot, but your on the right track.
Dual micros on my omega or trident drippers produce loads of vapour....but you need big airy airholes to get the clouds.
(That sounds a bit rude, sorry !)

I only have regulated mods at the moment, so I can't sub-ohm (not sure I really want to even when the mechs arrive - I'm not convinced I need a hobby that requires risk assessments before I embark - I get enough of those at work).

This dripper has been pretty good on single coils - you think it makes a difference that one of the coils isn't over an air hole?

And how small does a coil have to be to be described as a micro-coil?

And how small does a coil have to be to be described as a micro-coil?

Its not really so much about how small it is ... more about how tightly its wound together in my opinion ... try this ... when winding it round your driver, keep pushing the coils together so they touch (but not overlap) when you take the coil off, squeeze it in a pair of flat headed pliers (again so the coils touch but don't overlap) then torch it .. wait a few seconds for it to cool down then free it from the pliers ... you should have a nice touching tightly wound coil now ... that to me is a micro coil.

Ahhh - now I've always thought they were just really really teeny.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Ahhh - now I've always thought they were just really really teeny.

they can be :) but not necessarily :)
its all about balancing wire thickness and diameter and amount of wraps to get he ohms you want

they can be :) but not necessarily :)
its all about balancing wire thickness and diameter and amount of wraps to get he ohms you want

That bit I get, which is why I thought tiny coils were the much-lauded micro-coils (smaller diameter=more wraps=more heat to wick=more vapour).
Most of my coils are fairly small since I started using cotton
What's the advantage of a micro-coil, then?

That bit I get, which is why I thought tiny coils were the much-lauded micro-coils (smaller diameter=more wraps=more heat to wick=more vapour).
Most of my coils are fairly small since I started using cotton
What's the advantage of a micro-coil, then?

they seem to heat more evenly and faster .. and give out a much better vape IMO .. also .. easier to clean I reckon

Ok. Might rebuild & have a go. I'll be back!

Back
Top Bottom