What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Looking for clarification...

Jd_

Achiever
I just read somewhere that the larger a coil, the slower it wicks...is this true?

I cant see it causing any noticeable difference other then in theory

To be honest it's not clear what they are talking about..

'larger' as in .... larger inner diameter, length, multiple strands of complex wire together, larger surface area?

slower it wicks... slower the liquid moves through the cotton? ... or just that a coil with more surface area will create more vapour, use more liquid in the cotton, so the wick will take longer to 'fill back up'??

I'm not really sure what's being suggested?

My understanding was the larger diameter coil has more juice in reserve, sitting in the cotton that is running through it. I'm not an expert but can't see why it would wick slower, maybe they mean that there's more cotton to resaturate, but even then, if wicked correctly saturation time shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know, just putting my thoughts out there.

My understanding was the larger diameter coil has more juice in reserve, sitting in the cotton that is running through it. I'm not an expert but can't see why it would wick slower, maybe they mean that there's more cotton to resaturate, but even then, if wicked correctly saturation time shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know, just putting my thoughts out there.
Thats what im trying to determine too. If you think about a mesh coil vs a regular coil, there is like orders of magnitude more wicking going on and they seem to do just fine, better actually.

Maybe they mean just a wider coil like 8 wraps of unspaced quadcore vs 6 spaced wraps of single gauge, but even then, like u guys said, its more about having to get juice to the middle of one thick 6 mm wide coil rather than to the middle of 6 .5 mm wide individual coil wraps

Thats what im trying to determine too. If you think about a mesh coil vs a regular coil, there is like orders of magnitude more wicking going on and they seem to do just fine, better actually.

Maybe they mean just a wider coil like 8 wraps of unspaced quadcore vs 6 spaced wraps of single gauge, but even then, like u guys said, its more about having to get juice to the middle of one thick 6 mm wide coil rather than to the middle of 6 .5 mm wide individual coil wraps

Wider coil, longer coil, its all just surface area, so don't see why it would make a difference as we have both said. On a slightly related note, I think some people way over stuff the coil with cotton, using the wick hard method. That method has only worked in drippers for me, any kind of tank and it affected the wicking and flavour for me.

Eh, whatever, ive been searching and i cant seem to find any other reference to it and the stuff i was reading was too unclear. Everything i know about and read is as u 2 have said. Guess i just wanted to make sure it wasnt another one of those vague fundamentals that i wasnt aware of

Last edited:
Wider coil, longer coil, its all just surface area, so don't see why it would make a difference as we have both said. On a slightly related note, I think some people way over stuff the coil with cotton, using the wick hard method. That method has only worked in drippers for me, any kind of tank and it affected the wicking and flavour for me.
Btw man, dig your bike, i cant ride anymore so i have to live vicariously thru others.
What is it exactly?

Btw man, dig your bike, i cant ride anymore so i have to live vicariously thru others.
What is it exactly?

Thanks, it's a Suzuki SV650S, you've probably seen them, they race them in the mini-twin series.

Thanks, it's a Suzuki SV650S, you've probably seen them, they race them in the mini-twin series.
I thought it might be, it looked like it said suzuki right underneath the tank bag, too blurry to tell. Nice ride.

I thought it might be, it looked like it said suzuki right underneath the tank bag, too blurry to tell. Nice ride.

Thanks, all decals have been removed, I prefer it like that. The older gen2's used to say Suzuki on the tank, under the clear coat. The later gen2's had a silver S glued to the side of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom