What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Life after Cotton - Silica Microcoils

good to hear, will taste better after "bedding in" for half tank or so

Cool good to know :)

if anyone was a rolly smoker (i wasnt) you would find this powwow juice the dogs.

ps sorry I have taken this thread of track some what.

I'm shit ! I get my wick gear out, silica, voodoo, cotton string, cotton wool, start winding wire around say, the voodoo wool & then look at it and go "Fuck this i'm doing a micro coil & cotton wool" Haha, the other stuff doesn't get a look in but i'm convinced some of my attys would benefit from it. Silica virgin.

Well worth having a bash with silica in your KF vaporsizer Yes, you get a damned good vape out of them with cotton/microcoil but they are, in essence, a 'silica atty' and imo performance, both flavour and vapour wise, improves with silica/eko/voodoo. The Kayfun is a friendly old beast and does not care about aesthetics. Any old cack handed looking coil wrapped over a bit of silica will work a treat.

Well worth having a bash with silica in your KF @vaporsizer Yes, you get a damned good vape out of them with cotton/microcoil but they are, in essence, a 'silica atty' and imo performance, both flavour and vapour wise, improves with silica/eko/voodoo. The Kayfun is a friendly old beast and does not care about aesthetics. Any old cack handed looking coil wrapped over a bit of silica will work a treat.

Sorry mate, i was talking more in general. I don't have a kayfun but i mean to try it in a couple of my drippers.
Did try a kayfun lite once, damn good vape.

Aha I'm with you now vaporsizer As far as drippers go, I only tried silica a few times, they are the one device with which I prefer cotton.

@cheersm8 I'll acknowledge that i'm lucky in that at the time i arrived in vaping things were pretty advanced & cotton wool , well once i tried it, it was like jumping the queue with regards to other wick materials. On the upside i still have it to play with at my leisure, it's all good & there's plenty of time (I hope)

Hi folks.
You know that little vaping headache? Like using microcoils,but,for whatever reason, cotton is not your thing?
I tried and tried,with all sorts of heath robinson home made thready gadgets,and it was still an utter pain in the bum getting silica threaded through a microcoil.
Finally I've hit on a dead easy way,which,of course,I should have thought of in the first place! Only works for me with double silica builds, but that's no problem to me seeing as I only use doubled silica in my Kayfuns and Taifun.
Simplicity! - 1. make your microcoil 2. Cut yourself a bit of 2mm or 3mm silica (depending on choice,and,if it still seems a bit too tight and 'bunchy',unravel one strand). 3.Cut a piece of stiffish Kanthal (28awg seems stiff enough) about 3/4 inch long and bend it over the middle of your bit of silica to make a little 'hairpin'. 4. push the ends of the hairpin through the coil and pull your silica through.
There it is, a nice little microcoil,with silica wick!
I'm still laughing at myself for being a bit of a numbnuts and not thinking of this weeks ago instead of struggling like a twat.
You are a genius! Just tried it and it went through effortlessly. The simple ideas are always the best :D

I have no special tools to thread wicks,but I do have a roll of tinfoil in the kitchen.I take a piece of that,wrap it around the wick & it stops the wick from fraying & goes through effortlessly.

A while ago I posted about my hobby, carp fishing and obviously got called a sad twat, however it is because of this hobby that I found the perfect tool for threading silica through coils. I've put a photo of it below and it's called a gate and latch needle and is used for make 'rigs' etc' in my sad world of fishing. So, I may still be a twat but at least I'm not a totally useless one :P. You basically hook a folded over piece of silica onto the latch, close the gate and pull it through the coil. If you do venture into a tackle shop to get one just make sure you get the small size as it's the only one that'll fit through a tight coil. SB.

View attachment 26388

Fantastic tip for a newbie to builds like myself :-)

Can't believe I found this thread, I thought I was the only person on the Vaping planet that didn't like cotton. I've tried and tried and tried again to like cotton because every single person is you oh you need to cotton micro that bad boy.
But I hate it, I get a right cringe when I use it in a tank. I recoil my kanger coils using big standard silica coils and everybody always tells me to get cotton in there. I HATE COTTON.

I've tried silica micro before but failed I will now try again knowing it's possible :D

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

I too have a dislike for cotton, I kind of accept it in the fogger v4 after silica arsehat rebuilds.

Back
Top Bottom