What's new

Life after Cotton - Silica Microcoils

I use a needlethreader. In every cheap sewing kit around :)
image.jpg

I have the perfect drill bit for 3mm silica. One strand fits through perfectly without any special method. I just torch it and wet one end with my lips then slide it in. It's easier to slide it in when it's moist.

i think it's a 2mm drill bit from
wilkinsons. Can't be 100% though.
Purplefowler

Last edited:
I have the perfect drill bit for 3mm silica. One strand fits through perfectly without any special method. I just torch it and wet one end with my lips then slide it in. It's easier to slide it in when it's moist.

i think it's a 2mm drill bit from
wilkinsons. Can't be 100% though.
@Purplefowler
Funnily enough I just stocked up on drill bits a few weeks back, 3 2mm bits for £3.49 from homebase. I'd been using my 2 mm screwdriver till then but needed a couple to dual coil so thought I'd better buy the proper gubbins :)

Hi folks.
You know that little vaping headache? Like using microcoils,but,for whatever reason, cotton is not your thing?
I tried and tried,with all sorts of heath robinson home made thready gadgets,and it was still an utter pain in the bum getting silica threaded through a microcoil.
Finally I've hit on a dead easy way,which,of course,I should have thought of in the first place! Only works for me with double silica builds, but that's no problem to me seeing as I only use doubled silica in my Kayfuns and Taifun.
Simplicity! - 1. make your microcoil 2. Cut yourself a bit of 2mm or 3mm silica (depending on choice,and,if it still seems a bit too tight and 'bunchy',unravel one strand). 3.Cut a piece of stiffish Kanthal (28awg seems stiff enough) about 3/4 inch long and bend it over the middle of your bit of silica to make a little 'hairpin'. 4. push the ends of the hairpin through the coil and pull your silica through.
There it is, a nice little microcoil,with silica wick!
I'm still laughing at myself for being a bit of a numbnuts and not thinking of this weeks ago instead of struggling like a twat.

use same method, offcut of coil usually......nice someone took time to post this
problem is with the search being like most forums this little gem of knowledge will get lost in time

true sparkyjuice

I've nowt against using cotton/microcoil and use that combo just about exclusively for dripping atties, but, for me anyway, silica/ekowool/voodoo is the best for the kayfun/taifun tank atties. I'm sure that a lot of 'new folks' dive straight in for cotton/microcoil because it's easier, not that there is anything wrong with easier, easy is always good, but you can never know how good (or bad) unless you can compare with other wicks.

ps. I haven't even tried to force eko/voodoo through a microcoil, hand wrapping as tight and close as I can is about it for me.

true @sparkyjuice

I've nowt against using cotton/microcoil and use that combo just about exclusively for dripping atties, but, for me anyway, silica/ekowool/voodoo is the best for the kayfun/taifun tank atties. I'm sure that a lot of 'new folks' dive straight in for cotton/microcoil because it's easier, not that there is anything wrong with easier, easy is always good, but you can never know how good (or bad) unless you can compare with other wicks.

ps. I haven't even tried to force eko/voodoo through a microcoil, hand wrapping as tight and close as I can is about it for me.

I currently use the 0.5mm voodoowool on all my builds and drag thru as many strands to suit the coil.....double strand for micros
wicks exceptionally well, from stealthvape

Back
Top Bottom