What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Life after Cotton - Silica Microcoils

cheersm8

Achiever
Hi folks.
You know that little vaping headache? Like using microcoils,but,for whatever reason, cotton is not your thing?
I tried and tried,with all sorts of heath robinson home made thready gadgets,and it was still an utter pain in the bum getting silica threaded through a microcoil.
Finally I've hit on a dead easy way,which,of course,I should have thought of in the first place! Only works for me with double silica builds, but that's no problem to me seeing as I only use doubled silica in my Kayfuns and Taifun.
Simplicity! - 1. make your microcoil 2. Cut yourself a bit of 2mm or 3mm silica (depending on choice,and,if it still seems a bit too tight and 'bunchy',unravel one strand). 3.Cut a piece of stiffish Kanthal (28awg seems stiff enough) about 3/4 inch long and bend it over the middle of your bit of silica to make a little 'hairpin'. 4. push the ends of the hairpin through the coil and pull your silica through.
There it is, a nice little microcoil,with silica wick!
I'm still laughing at myself for being a bit of a numbnuts and not thinking of this weeks ago instead of struggling like a twat.

I use a 1.5mm drill bit to make the coil and have 2mm silica. I put some VG on my finger and tightly roll the silica so that it is coated, then carefully thread it through. Works a treat.

Hi folks.
You know that little vaping headache? Like using microcoils,but,for whatever reason, cotton is not your thing?
I tried and tried,with all sorts of heath robinson home made thready gadgets,and it was still an utter pain in the bum getting silica threaded through a microcoil.
Finally I've hit on a dead easy way,which,of course,I should have thought of in the first place! Only works for me with double silica builds, but that's no problem to me seeing as I only use doubled silica in my Kayfuns and Taifun.
Simplicity! - 1. make your microcoil 2. Cut yourself a bit of 2mm or 3mm silica (depending on choice,and,if it still seems a bit too tight and 'bunchy',unravel one strand). 3.Cut a piece of stiffish Kanthal (28awg seems stiff enough) about 3/4 inch long and bend it over the middle of your bit of silica to make a little 'hairpin'. 4. push the ends of the hairpin through the coil and pull your silica through.
I'm still laughing at myself for being a bit of a numbnuts and not thinking of this weeks ago instead of struggling like a twat.

A while ago I posted about my hobby, carp fishing and obviously got called a sad twat, however it is because of this hobby that I found the perfect tool for threading silica through coils. I've put a photo of it below and it's called a gate and latch needle and is used for make 'rigs' etc' in my sad world of fishing. So, I may still be a twat but at least I'm not a totally useless one :P. You basically hook a folded over piece of silica onto the latch, close the gate and pull it through the coil. If you do venture into a tackle shop to get one just make sure you get the small size as it's the only one that'll fit through a tight coil. SB.

Gate Latch Needle.jpg

Haha Soldier Blue ! Bingo! 'Twas in my old tackle box in the shed all the time! I never even considered it! thanks! :2thumbsup:

ps. not so sure how good pva string will be for wick though! :grin2:

Hi folks.
Good thinking batman! Don't tell anyone but I've often wondered how the hell you get silica/microcoil builds :doh:

Haha Soldier Blue ! Bingo! 'Twas in my old tackle box in the shed all the time! I never even considered it! thanks! :2thumbsup:

ps. not so sure how good pva string will be for wick though! :grin2:

I'm another of those sad tw.ts. Been using the end of an old, diamond eye pole threader for months.

To the mods can we change the name of this thread to ' Fisherman's tales"

Found another fishing tool that will do the job... but I'm going to have to make slightly bigger microcoils.

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes1401036791.052305.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Back
Top Bottom