What's new

Issue with Ody clone

modem7

Postman
Hey guys,

I've got a Nautilus v2 ody clone, and I seem to be experiencing some very odd issues.

I set up the wick + coil (0.8ohm ribbon coil on a dual wick + silver wire), and put it on the GGTS.

Everything seems to work absolutely fine, but then I get the feeling the battery is getting drained (almost no vapour, hardly anything coming from the atty)

Try this again with different batteries.....same thing.

Check the voltage of the batteries after this, and they are around 4v.

Checked the GGTS in case it was that, and it's absolutely fine with other atties.

What worries me however, is that after checking it, the negative connection seems to either be getting VERY hot, or it's almost shorting.

Attached are some pics (obviously not a fresh coil, made this around 3-4 days ago).
IMG_2110.jpg
IMG_2111.jpg
IMG_2112.jpg
IMG_2113.jpg
IMG_2118.jpg
IMG_2119.jpg

Any ideas what could be causing this? If you notice the pic with the negative wire on, you can see that the wick is burnt all down the side.

You've definitely used no-res wire??......not got it mixed up??

100% sure. Silver wire is the only one I have on this type of reel (plus, it says silver :P)

Totally stumped.

Have you tried with kenthal wire? This is what I use on my nautilus and no issues :-)

Also in the first photograph there is no outer pin with insulation surrounding the inner pin, looks odd, may be the angle of course. If thats the case you will be getting a dead short.

Last edited:
Just found this vid, and I've tried to do what he's doing (looping at the bottom): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMO3qvpS...age#t=132s

Result: So far so good with the U bend (12 hours so far).

I've come from a V1, so the building method is somewhat different (as you know/can see).

So if anyone else is having this weird ass issue, just U bend it, wrap it around the wick, or slightly bend it inwards!

Now to pray it continues working until the next coil rebuild!

Thanks for all the suggestions and helps guys!

Edit:
(NR wire I got from wires.co.uk)

Edit #2 :
Fun fact: When checking the resistance when having this issue, I was getting around 100ohm resistance.......methinx even the Vamo couldn't have handled that...Car battery maybe?

My Vamo won't work on really low resistances, like under 1ohm, and gives me a "lo" reading. Guess it's too low for the Watts/Volts it shoves out. Don't know if that's your problem, but I know I've had that happen. ;)

My Vamo won't work on really low resistances, like under 1ohm, and gives me a "lo" reading. Guess it's too low for the Watts/Volts it shoves out. Don't know if that's your problem, but I know I've had that happen. ;)

Ah, am using a ggts. Thankfully the u bend seems to have worked wonders!

That's a safety feature on the vamo. It won't let you go less than 1.2ohms but on a mechanical mod you can go lower than that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom