What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Help, seems batteries (negative contacts) get very hot with every press I take on parallel device

Dozwold

Postman
Hi all,
I’m not sure if this is dangerous or normal. I have a Defiant Design TS mechanical which I use with a 0.09 coil RDA. It uses 3 batteries in parallel, but this is my first device that the bottom of the batteries negative contacts have holes out that I can feel the heat up a lot and fast - burning fast. I noticed that occasionally when I hold it and my fingers block a batterIt’s air, the gold plated bottom gets very hot very quickly while I take a vape but then it goes cold again very quickly when I de-press the button. My batteries are new, from Fogstar and each have 25amp so I presume 75amps. While a 0.09 may take 50amps if that maybe my device can’t handle it after being used a bit? My coils are n90 if that makes any different. I also swapped batteries with Samsung 30qs, so In theory 90 amps available and also the same thing. Seems to they worse the longer time goes on. I thought it was in my head originally as wasn’t ‘that’ hot, but now I’m sure something is wrong.

All of them seem to get hot quick and fast ONLY for the actual duration of the press, with one negative contact (I presume battery) seemingly the hottest (although that could just be my perception as I hold it in my palm). I have tried a different 3 batteries (all matched) but still get this hot feeling (the one that feels most hot I drew a ring round it). When I take batteries out they are maybe just a tiny warm but certainly not hot, nothing crazy.

I do think all 3 batteries do touch/connect properly for each vape as I tighten them all and there is no battery rattle. So all 3 batteries are being used, as seemingly confirmed when I put them on to recharge, they are all depleted more or less exactly the same level.

Anyone know if this is normal? Is this dangerous? Doubtful, but perhaps have I miscalculated my ohms law? Could the button or the spring be doing something or have gone bad with time Or maybe even degraded to do this to batteries? I changed RDA so it’s not that. This hasn’t happened to me when the mod was new, but it’s now 2 months old, and I cleaned it once a month ago. Maybe I didn’t put something back properly like an Oring somewhere or maybe even something back to front? I mean it does ‘vape’ ok and doesn’t seem like voltage loss or anything, apart from the battery getting seriously hot per each press, so I’m putting this device down and aside, while I figure out what is happening in case it’s unsafe. Help appreciated.

p.s note I opened it again and noticed a wee bit of juice on Contact. It’s a squanker so I’m presuming some will of course go in through the top hole, maybe it’s that or maybe it’s not that’s either..

2462DC0B-4DB6-4407-B919-F75B6AA55D2E.jpeg

Last edited:
Dont know about your mod but I did have a iron man mech mod that when I fired the switch the bottom ( negative ) part of the battery and switch would get very hot. If I vaped it while it was dark you could see the arcing from the battery/switch.
Turned out to be an insufficient earth return path in the switch to the battery which caused excessive current being drawn.
Check to see that the terminals on each battery and compartment are clean.

Back
Top Bottom