What's new

Help me avoid blowing my hand off please

I think I only understood about 60 % of that :(

Hmm maybe I need to put this thought of sub ohming on the back burner for a while.. don't think my brain can cope with it at the moment :(

man_d

Basically - Amps = Power .
Watts = Work done
Resistance changes both of these.

30 amp batteries, can give more power than normal batteries if needed.
As your resistance decreases, both your wattage and amperage increases.
So, for sub-ohming, you need to find your batteries amp limit and stay BELOW that. :)

Simples.

I agree with rags about the cells with one caveat. I cannot find the specs on sony cells. I've spoken to someone I trust who has got the specs so I know their good, but I like cells that I can find the specs on easily, hence why I use samsung inr18650 15m cells. They work very well, have a 22a limit and very little volt drop under load. A .3ohm build doesn't bother them in the slightest. The best advice I can give though is if your not sure add a wrap, note your results then try less next time. Kanthal is cheap, it will cost little to replace a build if you think its too high for what you want.

As Raguri says though, a cline mech and a half decent dripper will cost you forty - fifty quid retail, and I'm sure someone will turn one out for less on here, two sonys are between twelve and sixteen quid, the samsungs I like are fourteen quid fron ecolux shop, not the highest capacity but I only need to replace mine one every 24hrs, I do have four mods on the go at once mind.... the panasonics I like for their huge capacity one with no back ups will easily do me all day at .6ohm. I know raguri sniffs at that meagre output but its great in a taifun.

I used to use ex-laptop cells,try as hard as I might I couldn't find any hard evidence about them(I did find them mentioned on a torch forum where he said they're safe upto 10 amps draw)so I refrained from pushing them at all.Last time I checked,I still had my ugly face and all my fingers.I would check each coil build(single/dual/quad etc)resistance,then use an online calculator to discover the actual current drawn before pressing the fire button.If the drawn current was under 5 amps then I would use it(didn't know at the time that using 2 cells in parallel was producing a way higher current limit)as the 5 amp limit was self-imposed for safety.

I then bought 2 Sony 30 amps,and as Rags says..they are safer than 10 amp batteries as you have much more "breathing space" than 10 amps,so allowing for total mis-measurement of the coils resistance,instead of 3-4 amps of "breathing space" you have 20+ amps(my experience,the atty pins fall out before the battery gets near to venting)

The only problem I'm finding is (when running very low ohm builds) getting enough air in to the devices,not to difficult with an RDA but gets a little more tricky on certain types of RDA(Russian 91%)Without the air intake,the vape is hot as hell and a big draw is painful.Get plenty air in,& the result is a big cloud.Further tweaking of the air intake can result in both huge clouds AND tasty vapour.I recall saying that when I was using my Aga-S,there was no way I'd be able to drop my nicotine level from 18mg.I'm using a 0.4 ohm dual-coiled RDA & I've just had to drop from 15mg to just 13mg as I've also gone from 0.6 ohms to this build,and I'm considering whether I still need less nicotine as I'm now able to put the device down for an hour or more whereas the RBA at 18mg was chain-vaped constantly.

When I first switched to vaping I was adamant that I would never reduce my nicotine even slightly without turning into an utter twat.

Just a bit of an update on my progress :

The Nemesis clone and Fogger that I ordered late on Weds afternoon both turned up today, courtesey of Grey Haze and Vape Geek.

After asking Fasttech 3 times what size screws were used in the Taifun and getting no answer (basically, I don't think they have a fecking clue) I'd also ordered some an assortment of different sized screws, which also arrived today....if it's of interest to anyone, m2 12mm screw seems to be the correct size to replace the smaller of the 2 screws in the (Fasttech clone) Taifun.

I've set up the new Nemesis/Fogger combo, but this time I felt brave enough to try a microcoil type. I say 'type' because I don't know if there's an accepted set of parameters to define what a microcoil actually is. Anyway, I wrapped some 28 kanthal around a 14 gauge needle (approx 2.1mm od) and then used some tweezers to squash the coils after pulsing, like I've seen in videos. Used cotton wick again and the end result was a 1.2 ohm coil that is very satisfying.

Feeling a bit giddy and flushed with success, I went straight on to try recoiling the first Nmesis/Fogger combo, using the same method. Somewhat shockingly, it worked.. another 1.2 ohm coil that's hitting the spot.

I'd watched the Riptrippers vid on the Kayfun as @gords1001 suggested and after a few minutes, it became clear where I'd gone wrong with the wick placement. Having had 2 successes on the bounce, I decided to try and make it 3 and attempted a rebuild of the Kayfun.

I used the same microcoil type approach and a cotton wick that was actually positioned properly this time. I think I must have added an extra wind onto this build because it came out at 1.45 ohms, but crucially, the wicking was very much improved.

I haven't attempted anything with the Taifun yet.. need to watch a few 'how to' videos first and try to get the proper technique into the soggy cabbage that passes for my brain. I'm also gonna hang back on the Aqua for now until I get a bit more competent/confident in my coil building (and ideally, get myself sorted with a dedicated 'building' table, complete with an illuminated magnifying glass rather than using the kitchen worktop).

The Efest IMRs (2000mah) seem to be coping ok with the 1.2 ohm coils and I feel a bit happier using them since I checked out that link to the battery parameters.

@Chegs I've been bouncing around a bit with my nic levels, going up to 10mg, down to 5mg, back up to 8mg and am currently back on 5mg. I'm hoping that if I can get myself competent enough to attempt lower ohm builds, I might be able to cut my nic down even further.. perhaps even try zero nic again. The last time I tried that though, I was bouncing off the walls after a day or so, so I won't be holding my breath for that to happen.

It would be nice if it did happen though.. not because I think I absolutely need to use zero nic, but If I could manage on it, it would remove the last route of potential control that the likes of McAvan and her bunch of idiot co-conspiriters have over me. The thought of being able to totally disregard anything those feckers have planned (on a purely personal level at any rate) gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. ;)

Off now to have a nice cuppa and enjoy me new builds for a bit. :)

Awesome, glad it seems to be coming together. If you can get two foggers going the taifun is a piece of piss, cotton and micro coil, job done. Dont forget on the taifun you can remove the chamber top cap then push the wall down so you have access to the screws, I'm loving mine at .6ohm but its had quite a few builds in it now. Youtube videos are a lot of help I find, even if its just so I know how not to do it.

Yay!

Had a looksee at a vid and thought it looked fairly straightforward after watching, so decided to give it a bash.

Took 3 attempts go get in the right ohmage range, first was 1.5 ohm, second was 1.0 ohm but third came out at 1.3 (shades of goldilocks). Did the 'squeezy' bit and got the coil firing from the centre out and still read nicely at 1.3, so went for it filled up the tank and took a tentative pull. I was expecting gurgle and a gob full of juice, but no.. it was going like a good un. :)

So that seems to be me underway on my little mech/rebuildable voyage... albeit with bumping into the harbour wall a few times.

I am wondering about the variance in the coil ohmage when I'm wrapping though. I get that when I'm aiming for 1.2 and I get either 1.0 or 1.5 that I've either put 1 too few or one too many wraps on, but when I get within a reasonable sort of range, is the minor variance just down to how tightly I'm wrapping the coils or are there other factors that might affect this?

All help gratefully received. ;)

It can be simply down to the lead length to the posts, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, if you were half an ohm out I'd look for issurs.

So a few weeks further down the line and a few things are changing.

Firstly, after a bout of bird flu last week when I couldn't even stand to vape 5mg without a coughing fit, I had to switch to zero nic. I only expected being on it for a couple days at the most but by dropping ohms a bit more and modifying my inhale to part lung/part mouth, I've been able to find enough of a punch to stay zero nic.

It's early days yet, but if I can keep on zero nic I'll class it as a huge win for me personally. It's not that I feel I should give up nic for medical reasons, I was on low mg anyway, but being nic free means 'they' haven't got any hold over me any more and can't dictate to me how and what I vape.

Anyway, that aside, been building more coils as I've gone along and tried a few more atties.

I finally plucked up the gumption to try a dual coil on the aqua.. what a palaver. Took me ages to bet everything seated and when I did it was 'lagging' on 1 coil (I assume I was out by 1 wrap on one of the coils) so I scrapped that and had another bash. It was more even on the second attempt, but lagging abit on both coils (I assume leg length was causing it). Anyway, I decided to try it and lag aside, it was a nice enough vape but I wouldn't fancy having to faff with the aqua as my 'mainstay' device.. a bit fiddly.

I've got on much better with the foggers.. found em fairly to set up and getting a nice, consistent vape out of them.

After seeking some advice on a dripping atty (thank you gords1001 ) I took delivery of a trident v2 clone today. Had a couple of goes at building it in dual coil mode.. the first came out at .9 ohms and was lagging a bit. I did try using it, but wasn't over impressed with the result. so stripped it down again, switched to 32 kanthal and recoiled.

This time it came out .71 (gulp) and I managed to get the legs a bit shorter so it isn't lagging like the first one. This one seems to be better, though a bit lacking in flavour.. may need to 'bed in' a bit?

I also got a v4 fogger in the post today and had a bash at setting that up. What can I say.. damn sight easier to set up than the aqua and was working nicely from the off.. producing a pleasing vape and decent flavour. Wasn't holding me breath for a great result on this one because it's similar to the kayfun (which I'm not really taking to) but I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I'm enjoying it.

Also got meself a pair of those sony vtc4 batteries (or at least they're supposed to be.. no markings on tube or sleeve, just a paper sticker) for if I start to get very brave. ;)

You might get worried about this but the trident really wakes up below .6ohm try closing off tgr airholes a whisker see if that helps.

I've found dual coils can be laggy at the higher end of sub ohm, as the resistance drops you pump way morr power into those coils. At .3ohm their instantaneously hot.

I'll take a shot of my vct4 cells when I park up. There's very little by way of marking but they should have us18650vct4 printed on the green wrap.

Where did they come from?

Back
Top Bottom