What's new

Help me avoid blowing my hand off please

Actually, I think I may have just answered the frequency of wick changes on cotton myself.

Had to top up the tank, so checked wick and coil at the same time and both looked pretty gunked. I managed to get the old wick out, dry burn, clean up and rewick without destroying the coil (yay!).

Think it might be an idea for me to swap out wicks when I top up the tank.. unless I happen to be out and about at the time.

I'm just lurking and following these posts; fabulously useful information here, thanks chaps :2thumbsup:

Wick changes really depend on the user. I try to replace mine weekly but my juice and builds dont seem to gunk up so much. Others prefer to do a wick replacement with every tank fill, thats not overly convenient for me. My best advice would be to run a dripper for a while with a cotton build at your usual resistance then you can asses what is going to suit you. Some flavours are interchangeable, others necessitate a wick change for that reason.

Basically yes, suck it and see, if you'll pardon the euphemism.

I build twisted .3mm kanthal microcoil. I build them to last :D
Rag the old cotton out - in with some new. 1 minute tops.

Do it before a tank fill.

It's a bit like changing the bed sheets. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ...

I tried cotton,got fed up of changing it same time as changing flavours so switched to voodoo wool,dry burn & on to next flavour.As I'm now using RDA's fulltime,the voodoo lasts as long as the coils do,which with my present fav juice flavours being menthol & butterscotch means they are lasting months(present wicks are easily 3 months old)

I always read these sub ohm threads with the vain hope that it'll start to sink in but all the jargon confuses me and I just don't get it. I think I'm going to give up trying to understand it. Knowing my luck I'd blow myself to kingdoms coming :(

man_d as long as you know the amp limit of your cells and you can measure resistance you can work out if a build is safe to fire. If you ever want a sub ohm build doing, you could always give us a shout, I'd be happy to build one for you if you wanted and I'm sure Raguri would do the same, just tell us your cells and we can work out a safe build and put it together, all you'd need to do is change the cotton when it starts looking manky.

I use a multimeter or my vamo to check my builds, bi know the vamo reads .1 of an ohm lower than my meter does. Most people just buy one of those resistance checkers and use it as a build stand and trust the reading it gives, I personally prefer to trust my fluke multimeter, but thats just me.

I use this on my phone to calculate what a build is expected to do. Its called vapers toolbox

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...6YzksCsEJXGQis5Bg&sig2=rrgOOVCc2v1GpUdkESsERQ

And I always calculate the power using volts and resistance, set volts to 4.2 as that is your worst case scenario and enter the builds resistance.

So you can see I'm using a 4.2v cell and a .6ohm build, it gives me the power in watts and the current draw in amps. That build is seven amps, my panasonic 18650 pd cells have a 10amp continuous current draw limit so I can safely use this build. As an added safety margin I would hope to only see a .3v drop when firing, so I get this

So realistically I'll get 25watts at 6.5amps, well within the safety margin of my cells and more power out than a dna20......

I've done .6ohm builds a few different ways, last night I used .45 kanthal, six wraps (if memory serves) around a 2mm screwdriver plus the lead length to the taifun posts. I also got similar resistance using two nine wrap coils around two of the blue handled screw drivers you get in clone attys, with the lead length on the aqua, and the extra wraps, my dual coil build came out safe to use with my panasonic pd cells too.

Its mainly a case of practice and if in doubt, stick another wrap on, build and measure then test, its always better to be slightly high rather than slightly low.

The thick wire is also really easy to work with. I've also used twisted kanthal where you trap a number of strands of thinner kanthal in a drill chuck, twist the other ends and trap in a vice/pliars then run the drill till its all twisted nicely, tightly and evenly with no kinks or twisted both ribbon and kanthal to make tiger coils. They all vape differently and will pick out different notes in your juices.

Despite riptripper being quite annoying, his build videos are well worth watching, along with todds and grim greens, you soon pick things up to try out.

Last edited:
Aww loves you two :lovesign:

Ok now I know I have backup I'll think about it. Not sure if I'm brave enough yet! x

We loves you to! hence why we don't want you going boom. :)

If you don't mind the wait, the launcher V2 clone is what I'm using now the Nzonic is all packed up, and punches well above its weight!
Oooor, from the UK, The stingray clone, nemesis, etc etc.
The list is endless.
Battery wise, I know some people may go "ooer" at this, but, if you're learning to build, get some 30 amps?
Why?
as they're actually more forgiving.
If you're trying to get low on say, a 10 amp battery, you have a limit of ten amps.
Even I have not managed to hit the full 30 amps these batteries can put out, and trust me, I've tried!

Back
Top Bottom