What's new

Help me avoid blowing my hand off please

steffijade

Achiever
Yeah.. attention seeking thread title, but if the cap fits and all that...

Anyway, the rebuildable clones that I ordered from Fasttech finally turned up and I've been having a play around.

I've done a few 'normal' coils of around 1.8 ohms with silica/ekowool and they were surprisingly acceptable but I've decided to try a lower ohm/mech combination.

After a couple of false starts, I've managed to get a coil at 1.2 ohms using 28 kanthal and done my first cotton wick on a Fogger.

Paired this up with a 134 (ish) mech or whatever it is (ordered mainly because it looked nice in the photos) : http://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10006659/1545400-134-style-mechanical-mod

Had a few test draws on it and it seems pretty decent, but I could use a little advice from the sub ohmers out there as regards batteries.

Looking on the good old ohms law calculator, 1.2 ohms will pull roughly 3.5 amps off a freshly charged battery. I've got a Panasonic CGR18650CH in there at the moment, which I understand 'should' be good for up to 10 amps, but I'd like confirmation from those more experienced in this area if possible please, as I'd rather not end up with a new 6 inch long blue face piercing that would be a bitch to remove with just the one hand.

I also have some Efest 18650 IMRs that I got from here : http://myepack.co.uk/batteries/efest-imr-18650-v2-2000-mah-button-top.html but I'm unsure if these would be up to the job. I'm not looking to go below 1.2 ohms.. seems to be plenty for me for the moment, so can any of you experienced folk let me know if I would be ok with the panasonics and efests at around the 1.2 ohm point or should I be looking to get some other batteries that can handle a heftier amp draw?

Whilst I've got your attention, could I also ask if anyone knows where to source replacement terminal screws for a Taifun GT clone : http://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10006709/1632903-taifun-gt-style-rebuildable-atomizer-5-0ml the bloomin thing turned up with 1 screw that had a dodgy head on it and I don't particularly fancy having to wait another 8 weeks or so for replacements to be sent, so if anyone knows where I could get something that would do the job in the UK I'd be grateful for a pointer.

In the order from Fasttech I also got a Nemesis clone and a Carvella clone, 1 of which doesn't seem to want to fire at all and 1 of which seems to be built to accommodate 18645 batteries.. not over impressed with those 2 yet, but when I get around to having a better look at them and play around, I might be able to get them up and running.

Along with the Fogger and Taifun clones, I also got a Kayfun clone, which I'm pretty pleased with and an Aqua clone that I haven't decided to tackle as yet.. dual coils could easily make for double the opportunity to screw up where I'm concerned. ;)

Hints/tips/advice will be gratefully received. :)

I've not sub ohmed as yet (except once unintentionally) and lowest I've gone is the same as you. Could I suggest you watch the VTTV episode from (I think) Monday as they dealt with/discussed appropriate batteries through a question asked in the chat roll. All I needed to know was that my AW IMR 18500/650 batts are considered fine for 1.0 + ohms or even a little less.
Dave Dorn says which batts he uses and which he recommends for the sub Ohmers out there
I have also heard it said that 18350s aren't suitable whatever the brand type.

Your batteries should be fine at that ohms steffi, as for 18350's these simply don't hold enough MaH to power a sub-ohm build though efest have released an 18350 that can run to 10 amps apparently.

Sent by lazer from just north of the world's largest nuclear dustbin

Yeah.. attention seeking thread title, but if the cap fits and all that...

Anyway, the rebuildable clones that I ordered from Fasttech finally turned up and I've been having a play around.

I've done a few 'normal' coils of around 1.8 ohms with silica/ekowool and they were surprisingly acceptable but I've decided to try a lower ohm/mech combination.

After a couple of false starts, I've managed to get a coil at 1.2 ohms using 28 kanthal and done my first cotton wick on a Fogger.

Paired this up with a 134 (ish) mech or whatever it is (ordered mainly because it looked nice in the photos) : http://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10006659/1545400-134-style-mechanical-mod

Had a few test draws on it and it seems pretty decent, but I could use a little advice from the sub ohmers out there as regards batteries.

Looking on the good old ohms law calculator, 1.2 ohms will pull roughly 3.5 amps off a freshly charged battery. I've got a Panasonic CGR18650CH in there at the moment, which I understand 'should' be good for up to 10 amps, but I'd like confirmation from those more experienced in this area if possible please, as I'd rather not end up with a new 6 inch long blue face piercing that would be a bitch to remove with just the one hand.

I also have some Efest 18650 IMRs that I got from here : http://myepack.co.uk/batteries/efest-imr-18650-v2-2000-mah-button-top.html but I'm unsure if these would be up to the job. I'm not looking to go below 1.2 ohms.. seems to be plenty for me for the moment, so can any of you experienced folk let me know if I would be ok with the panasonics and efests at around the 1.2 ohm point or should I be looking to get some other batteries that can handle a heftier amp draw?

Whilst I've got your attention, could I also ask if anyone knows where to source replacement terminal screws for a Taifun GT clone : http://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10006709/1632903-taifun-gt-style-rebuildable-atomizer-5-0ml the bloomin thing turned up with 1 screw that had a dodgy head on it and I don't particularly fancy having to wait another 8 weeks or so for replacements to be sent, so if anyone knows where I could get something that would do the job in the UK I'd be grateful for a pointer.

In the order from Fasttech I also got a Nemesis clone and a Carvella clone, 1 of which doesn't seem to want to fire at all and 1 of which seems to be built to accommodate 18645 batteries.. not over impressed with those 2 yet, but when I get around to having a better look at them and play around, I might be able to get them up and running.

Along with the Fogger and Taifun clones, I also got a Kayfun clone, which I'm pretty pleased with and an Aqua clone that I haven't decided to tackle as yet.. dual coils could easily make for double the opportunity to screw up where I'm concerned. ;)

Hints/tips/advice will be gratefully received. :)

With regards to the taifun post screws..apprently one is posidrive and one philips head ! they are also different lengths by all accounts.
As for size maybe someone who owns a vernier caliper can help you out......dont have a taifun myself im a kayfun fanboy.

With regards to the taifun post screws..apprently one is posidrive and one philips head ! they are also different lengths by all accounts.
As for size maybe someone who owns a vernier caliper can help you out......dont have a taifun myself im a kayfun fanboy.

Isn't posidrive and philips the same thing?

Over my head fella. Cam-out is what I do when I take a photo! They've both got crosses ;)
I stand corrected. :imstupid

No worries, don't get me started on fixings, I can rant all day ! LOL

As for Kayfun Clone:
Found on a fasttech thread...credit to OP
I have used M3 grub screw 5 mm for airflow control.
M1.6 pozi pan head 3mm for the coils
and M2.5 countersunk head 5mm ( could have been even longer as is all treaded) for the filling screw.
All working fine and I am using them on 3 different clones.
Peace

Obviously this does not apply to the taifun clone

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom