What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Help! Making my first coil

Aer

Initiate
I've owned my GV Zeus X (EDIT- Zeus X) and Aegis for quite a while but up until now I've always bought premade coils. I have a coil master v4 and now 100ft of kanthal a1 28g wire. The only way I have to read the resistance of my coil is the Aegis mod itself. I normally use 0.5 or lower sub ohm pre made coils but no idea what resistance is best for me as I havent tried much else. I just want to check with someone that knows more if this sounds reasonable before going ahead.

Main questions I have are:

Is it safe to use my Aegis to check the resistance of homemade coils?

The recommended wattage on the steam-engine calculator seems low, does this sound okay for a first try, AFAIK higher resistance is a bit safer?

kanthal a1
awg 28
single coil
target resistance - 1.00 ohm
inner diameter (not sure what was best here) - 2mm
leg length - 6mm (this is a guess and might change once I open the tank and measure my current coil)
wraps - 6
heat capacity - 14.77 mJ/K
wattage - 11w (seems low)

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
Is it safe to use my Aegis to check the resistance of homemade coils?

Yeah man, it's fine

The recommended wattage on the steam-engine calculator seems low, does this sound okay for a first try, AFAIK higher resistance is a bit safer?

I'm really not sure what you're trying to do. 28g is very thin wire, more suitable for MTL vaping which the Zeus certainly isn't designed for. 1 ohm again, is MTL territory

24g gauge wire would be a better wire to use in the 0.3 to 0.50 ohm range . 5 wraps of 24g around the 3.5mm piece would get you around 0.50 ohm range & be more suitable. The Zeus really wants thicker Ni80 fused claptons to get the best from it

This is the original single coil Zeus you have & not the Zeus X or anything?

Get 2 strands of your 28awg and twist it using the 'spinning mug' method, loop it though the handle and keep spinning the mug and you'll end up with a straight twisted pair. I'd use a 2.5mm ID too, or even a 3mm if it will fit or you won't have enough cotton for a DTL tank.

Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated!

I'm really not sure what you're trying to do
Neither am I :18:

I edited my post, it must be the Zeus X as it can do dual coil. It sounds like I probably bought an inappropriate guage wire for the job. I had done some google searching before buying it but obviously not enough!

@Simon G I assume this is a potential work around for my poor choice of wire. I tried changing the steam calc to k-a1 round twisted/parallel but not sure what to put in twist/pitch. Keeping it at 0 twist/pitch 0.5ohm looks best but heat capacity is in the yellow at 29.54 mJ/K, should I worry about that or should it be fine?

Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated!

Neither am I :18:

I edited my post, it must be the Zeus X as it can do dual coil. It sounds like I probably bought an inappropriate guage wire for the job. I had done some google searching before buying it but obviously not enough!

@Simon G I assume this is a potential work around for my poor choice of wire. I tried changing the steam calc to k-a1 round twisted/parallel but not sure what to put in twist/pitch. Keeping it at 0 twist/pitch 0.5ohm looks best but heat capacity is in the yellow at 29.54 mJ/K, should I worry about that or should it be fine?

yeah, a potential work around... it's exactly what I do in the rare cases I need a DTL coil. I think it was quite common before people invented aliens, claptons etc. I don't use steam engine and I'm not going to start measuring the pitch of my twists. :D

yeah, a potential work around... it's exactly what I do in the rare cases I need a DTL coil. I think it was quite common before people invented aliens, claptons etc. I don't use steam engine and I'm not going to start measuring the pitch of my twists. :D
I vaguely recall doing similar ................ and being the sad git that tried to measure the pitch of my twists ................ :doh: :8:

Back
Top Bottom