What's new

Flat Kanthal or Nichrome for mech usage?

mustybadger

Postman
Hi apes!

So, I've primarily been using @stealthvape 23g brochrome for a while now (unless I'm using one of Smut's lovely claptons). Building at about 0.34ohms in my Entheon. Works a treat. My problem is that I prefer contact coils, but I'm a little concerned about dry-firing nichrome, so I just end up building a spaced nichrome flatwire instead.

To overcome this, I've started thinking about just using 20-22g Kanthal flatwire instead. Seems to be the general consensus that it's safer to dry-fire and you dont get the initial "nichrome taste" (I struggle to notice it, to be honest, but that's maybe because I've been using it for so long).

My question is - is there a discernible difference in ramp-up time between nichrome flatwire and kanthal flatwire on a mechanical? And, if so, should I build slightly lower to accommodate for that?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi apes!

So, I've primarily been using @stealthvape 23g brochrome for a while now (unless I'm using one of Smut's lovely claptons). Building at about 0.34ohms in my Entheon. Works a treat. My problem is that I prefer contact coils, but I'm a little concerned about dry-firing nichrome, so I just end up building a spaced nichrome flatwire instead.

To overcome this, I've started thinking about just using 20-22g Kanthal flatwire instead. Seems to be the general consensus that it's safer to dry-fire and you dont get the initial "nichrome taste" (I struggle to notice it, to be honest, but that's maybe because I've been using it for so long).

My question is - is there a discernible difference in ramp-up time between nichrome flatwire and kanthal flatwire on a mechanical? And, if so, should I build slightly lower to accommodate for that?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Massive difference so wouldn't bother with the kanth also I drybun Ni80 all the time and have done for about 5 years so don't get where the problem is there, have you thought about flat SS?

I was just concerned about the nickel content of nichrome and heard stories about dry burning nichrome causing oxidation of the nickel, causing the "metallic" taste when you first start using nichrome. Guess it's vaping though, so it's never going to be 100% safe! If kanthal is more difficult to work with on mechs I'll likely not bother and just carry on using my precious nichrome!

Also, nope, never thoughts about using SS. Didn't think the resistance fluctuation would translate brilliantly to a mech but obviously people do it so might give it a try one day. Stealthvape don't seem to stock any though, any recommendations for where I could pick some up?

I was just concerned about the nickel content of nichrome and heard stories about dry burning nichrome causing oxidation of the nickel, causing the "metallic" taste when you first start using nichrome. Guess it's vaping though, so it's never going to be 100% safe! If kanthal is more difficult to work with on mechs I'll likely not bother and just carry on using my precious nichrome!

Also, nope, never thoughts about using SS. Didn't think the resistance fluctuation would translate brilliantly to a mech but obviously people do it so might give it a try one day. Stealthvape don't seem to stock any though, any recommendations for where I could pick some up?

SS works great on a mech due to low resistance so you can build big coils with a low resistance. 0.5mm is a good place to start.
Why didn't you make the Brochrome coils contact coils???
Been vaping mechs with Nichrome builds and not noticed any weird tastes, well apart from that wee accident with accidentally putting in some Heisenburg...

Crazy wire or vape mesh will have stock but they are inferior to Stealthvape service and delivery wise.

Back
Top Bottom