What's new

'Flat' coil issue with the Kylin RTA

Stwutter

Hi,

I've been using the Kylin RTA for a couple of weeks now. It's my first venture out of rep. screw/push in coil heads. After a few attempts, got it pretty much nailed now, with great flavour and no leaks.

However, I got some generic box of coils off Amazon initially. they're actually pretty good, but I'm find the actual ohm I'm getting bares little or no resemblance to what's on the label.

Anyway, I bought some low resistance colis (0.15) from my local store. Pardon my ignorance here - they are flat, and - as the Kylin is postless - I have to pre-cut them, and when I put them in the correct way so the coils are being hit by the side airflow channels, I'm actually tightening the screw onto the shorter part of the coil. It's actually quite had to get them in at first (I have to loosen the screws to almost being out completely, and then it's still snug). As I tighten, you can feel the coli deforming along it's longer side - if that makes sense - as it's being squeezed from the shorter ends.

So, wicked up exactly as I had done with other rounder type coils, and got almost zero flavour. I stayed with it for a few hours, but after I took it apart, the sides of the wick were almost totally dry. I then dry-fired, and the coils took about 10 seconds to even reach half red, even at 100W+.

Am I doing it wrong? I was thinking maybe to gently twist the bottoms of the coil ends 90° so they go in easier, but would this have the same effect and overly distort them? Or is maybe just the case the Kylin RTA is not built for these type of coils?

Cheers for any advice.

Twist the bottom of the legs 90 degrees before mounting & dry burn/check resistance before wicking. Sounds like the mod wasn't reading the resistance correctly hence the need to check ohms.

Twist the bottom of the legs 90 degrees before mounting & dry burn/check resistance before wicking. Sounds like the mod wasn't reading the resistance correctly hence the need to check ohms.

Cheers. I'll give it whirl tonight. I didn't wanna go faffing about doing that if it was just going to knacker the coil anyway.

thin nosed pliers make it easy. Just be gentle. I found it easier to fit one leg the use a coiling rod to twist the coil into position & dropping the other leg & tightening up. Keep the rod in place to centre/adjust the coil.

Back
Top Bottom