What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Fixing the Vamo

jrob3rts

Achiever
I purchased a SS Vamo a while ago and it was sold as broken. My original intention was to swap the insides from my chrome one into this or purchase a PCB from StealthVape to sort this one out.

The Vamo didn't turn on, it was dead as expected. I suspected a board fault.

As part of the process, I took the SS Vamo apart. Not a complex process as these things are only pressed.

I removed the lower section - This presents problem No.1. The resistance between the lower and upper piece was high - Ideally it should be zero or close enough. I forget the reading but it was not helping.

I remove the upper piece - This presents problem No. 2. The negative is soldered to a screw which is screwed into the top cap. This was loose, and only screwed part way in.

I have been playing with this for a couple of weeks and found these to be the only two problems.

I removed the bottom section, and turned it around until I had a good connection - I then applied Epoxy to the joint and reconnected - Epoxy was only applied to part of the joint to ensure a good electrical connection was still made.

I removed the top section, desoldered the screw, screwed it all the way in (adding a dab of superglue to act as a threadlock) and resoldered the negative wire. Replaced the top cap to test, added some Epoxy and reseated.

This was clearly a Late Friday Vamo.

The Vamo is a good "budget" piece of kit, and I would spend an extra £5 to make this a more reliable piece of kit from the onset and remove the pressed bits which are relied upon for a battery connection.

Anyway, waffling now. Here are a couple of piccies.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365432623.588564.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365432635.857533.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365432651.551295.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365432663.478374.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365432720.723616.jpg

Anyone maybe had some problems on loose head on Vamo ? When i put clearomizer/atomizer or anything it's moving in it. It works, but it's really annoying ;/

Anyone maybe had some problems on loose head on Vamo ? When i put clearomizer/atomizer or anything it's moving in it. It works, but it's really annoying ;/

I know some Vamos seem to come with loose tops. The best bet is to secure it with something like a blob of glue.

Thank You i will try. Maybe You know how should i take apart the top to not break it ? Pliers ? :)

If you want a fool proof way to get the top off a vamo, drill a 22mm hole into a piece of hard wood or nylon block. Then cut the piece of wood / nylon in half across the middle of the 22m hole so you end up with 2 pieces each with a semi circle.

Then use your pieces of wood in a vice and crank it up tight with the vamo top held nice and tight and wiggle :)

You night need to shave another mm off the cut part but you get the idea right? It's tooo easy to scratch a chrome one using pliars so if you have to use pliars use a leather belt or something not a sock hehe

Attachments

• vamo jaws.jpg
    vamo jaws.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 198
So jrob3rts are you offering a fixing service? From my reading of the interwebz this would seem to be the cause of the 02 error. The bad connection giving to high resistance leading to oxidastion, combined with the bigass screw in the top also with a bad connection, leading to heat build up blah blah blah.

The reason I ask is both my Vamos get warm, but I dont have the skills for this fix. They are both working just fine atm but from what I can gather this will just keep getting worse.

So jrob3rts are you offering a fixing service? From my reading of the interwebz this would seem to be the cause of the 02 error. The bad connection giving to high resistance leading to oxidastion, combined with the bigass screw in the top also with a bad connection, leading to heat build up blah blah blah.

The reason I ask is both my Vamos get warm, but I dont have the skills for this fix. They are both working just fine atm but from what I can gather this will just keep getting worse.

Lol, sadly not. To be honest with the latest postage prices, it's not worth much more than sending back and forth.

As for the heating, do you have the hot spring in yours? Changed mind big time when I first got it. Went from being a hand Warmer without the hot spring to much cooler with.

Have to say, Stealth Vape's suggestion for taking the top off is a great idea.

Back
Top Bottom