What's new

First time dripper, RDA advice

Wd40? Hot water?

You are still going to need to attach it to something to get it apart, even with my fairly well used tobh I can't get the topcap off without screwing it to my mod.

Actually to prove not all RDA's are created equal my Tobh top cap is awesome and comes off the easiest out of all my drippers. Ironically its a Fasttech one. :D

I did it! Took me half a day but I figured out how to remove the stuck top cap without using a battery.

I remembered I just bought a 510 to ego adapter, so if I added that to the 510 connection on the RDA it would give me more to hold onto. However this still wasn't enough. I found some small full round spanner set, but they were either too small to get past the fat part of the adapter, or too large and therefore nothing to grip onto. Then I thought if I put the small spanner onto the adapter before I attach it to the RDA, then the spanner will fit and it will stay in the place because the fat/wide part of the adapter will stop it from coming off. So now I could hold the 510 connection in place by holding the spanner, whilst pulling hard on the top cap. This still wasn't enough, so I put a small allen key into the airhole and pushed the top cap upwards and with enough force it came off. Geez that was not easy, but I'm happy with myself for finding a solution. I'll use that method instead of potentially damaging my batteries in case the RDA top cap ever becomes stuck. I hope I explained that ok. I've attached a couple of pics which hopefully show it ok.

Thanks as always for the help guys, but I didn't fancy the juice method or getting leverage from a batteries connector.

Looks like this Veritas needs a bit of a clean, so I'll go soak it in some washing up liquid. I got a spare set of o rings with the RDA. Should I use those or do you reckon the originals will be ok? Guess I'll take them off when I clean them anyway so I'll see what condition they're in. Ta!

Attachments

• top cap removal technique 1.JPG
    top cap removal technique 1.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 172
  • top cap removal technique 2.JPG
    top cap removal technique 2.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 178
@lemon80. Glad you sorted it. Now you just need half a day to get used to building it. :D The o-rings should be fine unless they look busted from yanking the top cap off. You really need to wet the o-rings to stop the top cap from sticking in future. For the record I messed with the top cap for 30 minutes when I got mine, got pissed off, came back to it later and then it came off. Once it's been removed a few times it gets much better.

Oh yeah and on the plus side of things if you can build the Veritas you can pretty much build anything. Its not really ideal as a newbie friendly rda but you might just gel with it.

@Chris_vapehead Thanks man. The o rings look ok, though there's a part on the bottom ring where you can see the metal a bit. Think it's slightly bent out of shape, but it's very minor. I've never replaced o rings though, n if these are so tight then I'd prefer not to try right now. How thoroughly do you clean it all out? Should I remove the o rings and screws and clean everywhere I can? The thing looks fairly clean overall, mainly a bit of black marks on the inside of the top cap.

Anyway off to get some grub before round 2.

lemon.

@Chris_vapehead Thanks man. The o rings look ok, though there's a part on the bottom ring where you can see the metal a bit. Think it's slightly twisted. I've never replaced o rings though, n if these are so tight then I'd prefer not to try right now. How thoroughly do you clean it all out? Should I remove the o rings and screws and clean everywhere I can? The thing looks fairly clean overall, mainly a bit of black marks on the inside of the top cap.

Anyway off to get some grub before round 2.

lemon.

The O-rings are just stretchy rubber rings. Try to sort the one where the metal is showing though you don't want leaks. Just wash it all out thoroughly and if you aren't planning to face it tonight just leave to dry. The black marks could just be scuffing caused by getting the top cap off. If the thing smells of machine oil at all then give it another clean. Mine didn't have any oil on it but its worth checking.

I am a heathen so I took a fairly pragmatic view to cleaning and chucked mine in the bottom of the washing up bowl whilst I did the washing up :D Vaping machine oil is both bad for you and tastes horrendous so it is worth giving it a good clean before using.

@Chris_vapehead I prized out the oring a little and it went back into place. I put some eliquid on them and the top cap goes on and off easily now.

Oh forgot to mention, I followed the rip tripper guys guide to building the horizontal single coil for the Veritas. Have to say mine looked pretty similar to his, well for a first effort it wasn't far off. I was aiming for 1.1 but it came out at 1.4, but oh well, just crank up the watts and it works. The flavour is great and I reckon will get better. At first I was barely getting any vapour. Then I realised that the cotton was slightly blocking the path to the airhole so I pushed it to the side until I could see through to the other side. The vapour production improved.

Obviously this is a first effort, but I'm pleased that I made a working coil first time. Now it's a case of getting used to dripping, remembering to drip, not overfilling, maybe experiment with the amount of cotton, etc, etc. For tonight though I'll happily vape this.

Thanks again for all the help guys, I couldn't have done it without yas. If you were girls I'd kiss all of yas :D

lemon.

lemon80. Yep to be honest horizontal coil is the best way to go in the Veritas, at least I think so. You don't actually need tons of cotton like other rda's. You just need enough to actually reach the bottom of the wells. Some people including Rip put some cotton behind the wire coming down from the top of the deck but I never bother to be honest. You get a slight bit of condensation on the deck but its not a problem.

If you want a cooler vape you need to get that coil quite close to the air hole just make sure it doesn't touch the metal of the deck or the walls. Oh and you can also fill via the air hole at the back. But if you do that try to use liquid that has a needle tip on it. Then after filling that way just draw on the drip tip slightly without firing the mod and then vape away as usual.

Now concerning my payment. While Diche is easily pleased and happy to take any kissy, kissy veiled promises, I personally will not respond kindly to that kind of weird advance. So I'm thinking of something far more useful to me like 50ml of juice and perhaps a Copper Viggo mod for all this useless advice I've been giving you. ;) (Totally kidding)

Chris_vapehead Yeah yeah, play the humble card so I feel obliged to get you to understand my appreciation by showering you with new vape goodies, haha. Nice try :D

Anyway I rewicked coz had far too much cotton in there. Also took out the top piece of cotton. Vapour is better. The flavour is kinda strange, not what I'm used to, it's there, just different. The coil is close to the airhole. Do you guys (or are you all girls, I dunno, lol) find a difference in flavour from Tanks/RBA's to RDA's. Not just more flavour, but it is a different type of flavour? Maybe I've just not set it up right yet, or maybe I'm just not used to such strong flavour. I'll try some different flavours tomorrow, see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom