What's new

First time dripper, RDA advice

No worries and you are very welcome. I'm no expert at this since I've only been using drippers for a couple of months now. But I read a lot, watch a lot and had some good advice from a friend on here. :)

That is kinda the fun of this place though, you learn something, you pass it on. Doesn't really matter if it is basic or advanced, we all help each other get more out of the equipment.

That is kinda the fun of this place though, you learn something, you pass it on. Doesn't really matter if it is basic or advanced, we all help each other get more out of the equipment.

Very true. :) There are so many variations on how people do their builds I'm always finding something on here that makes me rethink the way I do something.

The biggest issue for me to be honest is wicking and how much Muji cotton to stick in there. The Tobh seems to like a fair amount providing you leave enough of an airflow gap under the coil itself. The Veritas and Magma by comparison only need enough to draw it from the juice wells. Plumeveil is still bugging me since on single coil I'm not sure if I'm overdoing the cotton or not. I'll work it out eventually or see someone elses pic of the better way to do it on here. :)

Very true. :) There are so many variations on how people do their builds I'm always finding something on here that makes me rethink the way I do something.

The biggest issue for me to be honest is wicking and how much Muji cotton to stick in there. The Tobh seems to like a fair amount providing you leave enough of an airflow gap under the coil itself. The Veritas and Magma by comparison only need enough to draw it from the juice wells. Plumeveil is still bugging me since on single coil I'm not sure if I'm overdoing the cotton or not. I'll work it out eventually or see someone elses pic of the better way to do it on here. :)

I have been trying muji and I am not sure the tobh doesn't prefer standard organic. I am finding I am getting a lot more leaks with the muji. It doesn't seem to hold as much juice for the same size wiggle. Wicks like a demon mind you, but I never had a problem with that with the normal stuff.

I have been trying muji and I am not sure the tobh doesn't prefer standard organic. I am finding I am getting a lot more leaks with the muji. It doesn't seem to hold as much juice for the same size wiggle. Wicks like a demon mind you, but I never had a problem with that with the normal stuff.

Actually I told you wrong, my apologies. I have muji in the Veritas, Vulcan and Plumeveil. I put Cellucotton (Rayon) in the Tobh when I rewicked it the other night. Be wary if you try that stuff because some people get a throat irritation from it. I don't mind you.

The Tobh hasn't leaked on me with the Cellucotton in there, well not unless I start waving it around. I actually do get loads of leaks with the Magma which people say never leaks unless you overfill. Problem I find with the Magma is condensation and juice builds up in the domed cap. That Rda is like a little pressure cooker. If you unscrew the thing to refill and forget to wipe the inside of the cap it drips onto the deck and then down behind the airflow control ring. Drives me crackers to be honest so I hardly use it. Might try it with an alternative wick material maybe that will solve the problem.

With ordinary cotton I had been happily leaving my tobh on its side and not having any real issues unless I had just filled it, with the muji it seems to want to leak just because I tilt it as I raise it to my mouth. I am going to try really stuffing the muji in on the next build and if that doesn't solve it I am going back to cotton balls.

Diche. I guess that's a major difference. The only rda I tilt all over the place is the Veritas but it's designed to allow you to do that. Put the Tobh on its side and the juice is just going to gush out of those air holes. I tried to take a picture to show you what mine looks like but the light is terrible now and I need to take one in daylight.

What I usually do is take a muji pad then tear it in half so you end up with a top and bottom piece. Then I cut a strip about 5mm wide along the direction the fibers run in. Roll that and then narrow one end. I pull it to and fro along the coil so it fluffs up the cotton. Then trim the excess and fluff that up a bit. The way I do it in the Tobh is to like create a spongy layer of wick so I can't see the metal deck of the rda itself. The only place I leave any space is under the coils themselves. Usually I tuck some underneath in other atties but in the Tobh it worked better for me not to do that.

@Diche. I guess that's a major difference. The only rda I tilt all over the place is the Veritas but it's designed to allow you to do that. Put the Tobh on its side and the juice is just going to gush out of those air holes. I tried to take a picture to show you what mine looks like but the light is terrible now and I need to take one in daylight.

What I usually do is take a muji pad then tear it in half so you end up with a top and bottom piece. Then I cut a strip about 5mm wide along the direction the fibers run in. Roll that and then narrow one end. I pull it to and fro along the coil so it fluffs up the cotton. Then trim the excess and fluff that up a bit. The way I do it in the Tobh is to like create a spongy layer of wick so I can't see the metal deck of the rda itself. The only place I leave any space is under the coils themselves. Usually I tuck some underneath in other atties but in the Tobh it worked better for me not to do that.

I agree with the not tucking under the coil, I have been tearing rather than cutting to try and preserve the maximum length of the fibres, but otherwise the technique is much the same. I try to let it fold as naturally as possible into the base of the tobh (again to preserve fibre positioning) and tuck it between the posts a little just in case the coils aren't firing exactly evenly it can even out the wicking and prevent partial dry hits. However despite wicking like a demon it doesn't actually hold as much juice captive. I might try abusing the fibres a bit more and see if that helps, because my tobh is pretty leak free with standard organic cotton. I know it shouldn't be based on the design, but it has been working rather well for me :)

I agree with the not tucking under the coil, I have been tearing rather than cutting to try and preserve the maximum length of the fibres, but otherwise the technique is much the same. I try to let it fold as naturally as possible into the base of the tobh (again to preserve fibre positioning) and tuck it between the posts a little just in case the coils aren't firing exactly evenly it can even out the wicking and prevent partial dry hits. However despite wicking like a demon it doesn't actually hold as much juice captive. I might try abusing the fibres a bit more and see if that helps, because my tobh is pretty leak free with standard organic cotton. I know it shouldn't be based on the design, but it has been working rather well for me :)

That all sounds fine to me. I only use scissors because when I tear it with my paw like hands I end up wrecking it. ;) It's funny that the muji isn't absorbing it very well. I watched a Pete Busardo vid a while back where he analysed the different properties of wicking materials and organic turned out as the worst. I would either increase the amount of muji you are using just to see or stick with the organic which is giving you no issues. :)

That all sounds fine to me. I only use scissors because when I tear it with my paw like hands I end up wrecking it. ;) It's funny that the muji isn't absorbing it very well. I watched a Pete Busardo vid a while back where he analysed the different properties of wicking materials and organic turned out as the worst. I would either increase the amount of muji you are using just to see or stick with the organic which is giving you no issues. :)

Well there are at least some advantages to tiny hands when it comes to coiling and wicking, if not when it comes to box mods :D The flavour is very good with the muji so I am willing to persevere for a little longer, but if I have to go back to cotton it won't be the end of the world. The Muji definitely wicks a lot faster, when you prime the coils you can see it at work it is really rather impressive, but weight for weight I don't think it holds as much juice. Probably precisely because of the straight fibres, I can see it being a godsend in a tank, but I am not so sure it is suited to my tobh.

Well there are at least some advantages to tiny hands when it comes to coiling and wicking, if not when it comes to box mods :D The flavour is very good with the muji so I am willing to persevere for a little longer, but if I have to go back to cotton it won't be the end of the world. The Muji definitely wicks a lot faster, when you prime the coils you can see it at work it is really rather impressive, but weight for weight I don't think it holds as much juice. Probably precisely because of the straight fibres, I can see it being a godsend in a tank, but I am not so sure it is suited to my tobh.

Could have used your tiny hands when I had my Fogger V2. ;) So fiddly, it was like the tank from hell for me. Actually when I did get that thing finally built, I washed the tank and then it slipped out my hands when drying it with tissue and the damn tank shattered. In disgust I threw the useless thing in the bin. Never buy a Fogger that's my motto.

Yeah flavour is great with Muji but due to the way it really soaks through I can see it causing problems with some builds. To be fair though if you vape it right away until the rda is empty the muji goes bone dry. As you said for a tank or even a dreaded genesis like a Kraken those straight fibres are really useful. It works the same for the Magma and the Veritas because they both have deep juice wells and the wicks draw it up. With shallower rda decks you either need more muji or more clump like wicking material such as cellucotton or organic. No doubt there is probably a better way of doing it with muji but at the moment I am not certain myself.

Back
Top Bottom