What's new

First time dripper, RDA advice

On an MPV I would definitely recommend the single coil options, dual coiling restricts you to the thinner wires which are harder to work with (imo) than the slightly thicker stuff. A device that let you do either or would give you the greatest flexibility in terms of trying out different types to find your happy place, far more fun too :)

My MPV will fire my tobh, but dual coiling to reach 1.2-1.5ohms is a pita.

Diche Yeah, glad I thought to ask that now. I've got 28Kanthal, but I need to get myself some 30 one of these days. I've got some 3ohm premade resistance wire, I bought by mistake lol, as I've never built a dual coil. That'd come out at 1.5ohm on dual coil. Would that be ok?

Is dual coil better for flavour?

Still not made my mind up which one to go for. Just watched a Magma review on youtube (I know!). Just seeing the ease of build though, geez my dog could build that thing. haha, that'll make me laugh when I struggle with it.

@Diche Yeah, glad I thought to ask that now. I've got 28Kanthal, but I need to get myself some 30 one of these days. I've got some 3ohm premade resistance wire, I bought by mistake lol, as I've never built a dual coil. That'd come out at 1.5ohm on dual coil. Would that be ok?

Is dual coil better for flavour?

Still not made my mind up which one to go for. Just watched a Magma review on youtube (I know!). Just seeing the ease of build though, geez my dog could build that thing. haha, that'll make me laugh when I struggle with it.

1.5ohm would be pretty much ideal for the MVP, it likes firing that, gives you the full wattage range to play with.

I just try chucking the figures in a calculator to see what sort of wire might do the trick. I reckon 1.2-1.5ohm is the right ballpark to be in. Probably using a 2mm drill bit and you want your coils to end up with about 8 wraps for a good build.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Having said that my current dual coil build is 10 wraps of .37mm kanthal on about a 3mm bit. I am teaching myself as much as I can by playing with all the variables. However the build is 0.7ohms so it definitely wouldn't fire on my MVP

Diche Yep that's how I build my kayfun microcoils, 2mm screwdriver and about 8 wraps.

Interesting how you're experimenting with 3mm bit. I've been thinking the same thing recently, about making the coil fatter and spreading the cotton out more. How have you found the 3mm? I'd be interested to know. I've only not experimented because the kayfun is my only decent vape right now so I didn't wanna fiddle about the the coil I already got in there.

Cheers.

@Diche Yep that's how I build my kayfun microcoils, 2mm screwdriver and about 8 wraps.

Interesting how you're experimenting with 3mm bit. I've been thinking the same thing recently, about making the coil fatter and spreading the cotton out more. How have you found the 3mm? I'd be interested to know. I've only not experimented because the kayfun is my only decent vape right now so I didn't wanna fiddle about the the coil I already got in there.

Cheers.

In my limited experience a 3mm bit works well with thicker wire, but not very well with the thinner stuff, so if you are using 0.3mm wire or smaller I wouldn't bother. (sorry I keep talking about wire in mm rather than gauge, but I find it much less confusing) I have used 0.5mm and 0.4mm and found both quite happy on the thicker drill bit, but with 0.3mm it just seems to make my coils floppy and less resistant to re-wicking.

My game for this month is to perfect my 0.8-0.9ohm dual coil set up. I could build it out of 0.3mm but frankly it is a pita to work with compared to 0.4mm so I bought pretty much all the available grades inbetween and I am having a play. 0.37mm was nice to work with, but as evidenced by a 10 wrap coil on a 3mm bit reading as 0.7ohms it is a bit too thick for the task. I have the 0.34mm and 0.32mm to play with as well though. My aim is to end up with 3 nice builds, a 0.8-0.9ohm for use in public places, a 0.4-0.5 for relaxing with at home and a 0.15ohm for shits and giggles. The 0.15ohm has already had a couple of outings :D

Of course if I was building single coil rather than dual I could use the thicker wire and easily reach MVP resistances. If I took one of the coils out of tonights build it would be 1.4ohms and would be as happy as larry on my MVP.

Hopefully you got to the end of all of that without your brain switching off lol

Diche I followed that fine mate. Blimey I didn't know there were so many grades of wire. You really can get precise with it. Nice one for that, I like the precision too.

0.15, sound like a monster. Take a toke now, maybe I'll be able to see the cloud from Lancashire :D

@Diche I followed that fine mate. Blimey I didn't know there were so many grades of wire. You really can get precise with it. Nice one for that, I like the precision too.

0.15, sound like a monster. Take a toke now, maybe I'll be able to see the cloud from Lancashire :D

I am only just the other side of the Pennines, so that is hardly a challenge lol :D

The 0.15ohm needs extra airflow to operate effectively so that is housed in a mutilated tobh that I was kindly given by a forum member. However it does raise another point, I don't know how it works with rebuildable tanks like the kayfun because I haven't tried them yet, but with drippers the position of your coil can be as important as your resistance. Get it in the wrong place and you lose flavour as it needs to be positioned in the path of the airflow as it goes from the airholes to the driptip. It took me a while to figure it out in the tobh, the coil needed to be a lot higher up than I thought it did. You can also squash the flavour and the vapour by packing the cotton in too tight around the coil, and of course that leads you to variable number 3, The wicking. All three variables work in harmony so building my perfect 0.9ohm build is not simply a matter of getting the coil right. It's great fun if you have one of those minds that like minutiae :D Of course I am sure most people happily watch some videos copy the build and get a great vape without any faffing, but I would far rather have a play :)

lemon80. Dual coil tends to give more flavour and typically more vapour. Only real downside is it vapes through your juice way faster. The other pain with them is that each of the coils must have exactly the same number of wraps. Importantly your coil resistance is halved. So if you made a coil that had something like 10 wraps (depending on thickness of wire used etc) and came out at 1.0 ohms, when you make the second coil the same the final resistance will be around 0.5 ohms. The only atties that I like building duals in are the Vulcan and the Tobh. Everything else tends to get a single coil. Mainly because I want to vape right away and as a lazy git I find dual a lot of faffing about.

Airflow and coil position is extremely important. In the Magma as an example the airflow is on the deck and hits the coil from underneath like the Kayfun. If the coil is positioned too high above the deck the coil gets hotter because the air has further to travel and is not cooled as quickly. In the Veritas the airflow is completely different again and actually hits the coil from behind it. Every Rda is different and you have to spend some time experimenting with them. The more airflow you have the more vapour produced but too much airflow can also result in loss of flavour. Ideally you want to be buying something that has adjustable airflow, most new rda's do it's just some of the earlier designs that are restricted.

The design of the airflow holes also plays it's part. A cyclops style slit air hole tends to let the air hit the whole length of the coil as opposed to single hole designs that hit it in a radial fashion.

The design of the rda chamber can also greatly affect things. Anything with a reduced chamber design is going to give you better flavour. Off the top of my head ones that have this are Veritas, Magma, Quasar, Tobh, Zenith V2. Plume Veil has an adjustable Delrin chamber reducer. But there are loads more that do.

After a full day's use on the Plumeveil I'm not 100% certain I would suggest it as a first time rda. It has a lot of airflow options. In fact too many of them. It even has airflow that comes through the negative posts. Plus there's the delrin chamber reducer you may need to faff around with. It has a spinning centre post and a split centre post block. Might be confusing to a first timer. I also haven't put enough different type of juice through it to say for sure whether the flavour is consistently good. I am impressed with the vapour produced but as a mainly flavour chaser I'm not sure if I'd regularly use it yet. As for the web logo I absolutely hate spiders and have convinced myself its not a Huntsman/Black Widow nest and is merely a little doodle left by a well known and witty superhero. :D

Anyway far too much info for you to absorb I just thought I'd put it out there. :)

lemon80. Dual coil tends to give more flavour and typically more vapour. Only real downside is it vapes through your juice way faster. The other pain with them is that each of the coils must have exactly the same number of wraps. Importantly your coil resistance is halved. So if you made a coil that had something like 10 wraps (depending on thickness of wire used etc) and came out at 1.0 ohms, when you make the second coil the same the final resistance will be around 0.5 ohms. The only atties that I like building duals in are the Vulcan and the Tobh. Everything else tends to get a single coil. Mainly because I want to vape right away and as a lazy git I find dual a lot of faffing about.

Airflow and coil position is extremely important. In the Magma as an example the airflow is on the deck and hits the coil from underneath like the Kayfun. If the coil is positioned too high above the deck the coil gets hotter because the air has further to travel and is not cooled as quickly. In the Veritas the airflow is completely different again and actually hits the coil from behind it. Every Rda is different and you have to spend some time experimenting with them. The more airflow you have the more vapour produced but too much airflow can also result in loss of flavour. Ideally you want to be buying something that has adjustable airflow, most new rda's do it's just some of the earlier designs that are restricted.

The design of the airflow holes also plays it's part. A cyclops style slit air hole tends to let the air hit the whole length of the coil as opposed to single hole designs that hit it in a radial fashion.

The design of the rda chamber can also greatly affect things. Anything with a reduced chamber design is going to give you better flavour. Off the top of my head ones that have this are Veritas, Magma, Quasar, Tobh, Zenith V2. Plume Veil has an adjustable Delrin chamber reducer. But there are loads more that do.

After a full day's use on the Plumeveil I'm not 100% certain I would suggest it as a first time rda. It has a lot of airflow options. In fact too many of them. It even has airflow that comes through the negative posts. Plus there's the delrin chamber reducer you may need to faff around with. It has a spinning centre post and a split centre post block. Might be confusing to a first timer. I also haven't put enough different type of juice through it to say for sure whether the flavour is consistently good. I am impressed with the vapour produced but as a mainly flavour chaser I'm not sure if I'd regularly use it yet. As for the web logo I absolutely hate spiders and have convinced myself its not a Huntsman/Black Widow nest and is merely a little doodle left by a well known and witty superhero. :D

Anyway far too much info for you to absorb I just thought I'd put it out there. :)

Thanks I found that really helpful :D

Thanks I found that really helpful :D

No worries and you are very welcome. I'm no expert at this since I've only been using drippers for a couple of months now. But I read a lot, watch a lot and had some good advice from a friend on here. :)

Back
Top Bottom