What's new

First Mech Advice

Koeshi

Achiever
Well I'm looking to get my first mech (a tube one) and want to know if there is any knowledge I am missing before I do so. I know not to build lower than the battery can handle and can check what battery draw will be on steam engine.

Is there any advantage to getting a 26650 over an 18650 other than the extended battery life? I know that with a longer life there is less chance of me forgetting to charge it before it is overdrained.

Does it really matter which mech I get or are they all pretty much the same with different stylings?

When a locking ring is reverse threaded that just means that it is threaded in the opposite direction to the bottom cap so you aren't going to unscrew both at the same time?

Is it true that the efest 18650 35A can actually handle less draw than the 30A? I read that on here somewhere, something to do with the battery being rebranded.

Sorry for the pile of questions but I really don't want to screw up with this.

And on a side note, what on earth is this? A mech mod with some sort of circuit protection?

A brass Nemesis, SMPL or Vanilla mech would be ideal as your first one. Fast tech do clones quite highly rated by apes.

Some mechs are better than others, but don't get too bogged down just yet. As long as it is brass or copper, has magnets in the switch and an adjustable 510 connection you're fine.

The efests do 20A, but others will vouch for them who know more.

A 26650 can be used as an offensive weapon more than an 18650 mech.....:D Longer battery life yes and that is again as much as I know.

Some mechs are better than others, but don't get too bogged down just yet. As long as it is brass or copper, has magnets in the switch and an adjustable 510 connection you're fine.

The efests do 20A, but others will vouch for them who know more.

So SS mechs are a bad idea? Was planning on getting copper anyway but just checking.

Which efest does 20A? The 35A?

I know someone who is willing to sell his Stingray X 26650 clone, is that a decent punt?

So SS mechs are a bad idea? Was planning on getting copper anyway but just checking.

Which efest does 20A? The 35A?

I know someone who is willing to sell his Stingray X 26650 clone, is that a decent punt?

SS mechs aren't bad, you get less voltage drop off a copper or brass one. And, lets face it SS is rather boring compared to copper!

Go to Pure Mist and get the Samsung 25r's. You'll no really get better batteries and not at the price they are offering them. I've got about 8 of them and have had no bother at all, even with a couple of very stupid sub 0.1 ohm builds.
The Efest 35A is a re-wrapped LG He2 which will do 20A fine.

If you want a 26650 mech, go for it. Can't really fault a 'Ray as long as the switch is upgraded with a decent Rice Pin and the magnets are decent.

Fast tech SMPL, go look!! Or I can punt you a brass Tesla Gaia with an updated switch....

SS mods are not a bad idea, actually they can be lovely and show a lot less wear than a brass/copper mod.

A lot is down to preference, for brass fasttech do a great GP paps clone for £8, def worth grabbing. It has a spring switch not a magnet, again this is preference. Actually the switch on the paps is perfect, for me at least.

Grab a handful of clones in varying materials and see which you get on with.

There is a lot of talk about efests actual amp draw abilities, i use the 35 amp ones with no issues, its said that their max continual load is 20amps max. Thats continual, as if there were running in a work lamp or similer 'on for an extended period of time' enviroment, they can pulse , pretty much what we do as vapers up to 35amps

Performance wise they work fine for me, i have some samsung 25rs in the post and am looking forward to comparing them.

Bear in mind to get to the 20 amp limit you will have to build lowwww so prob not much fear of you hitting that. What wattage range do you find yourself vaping in?? From that you can kind of find out what batteries will suit your needs. You want some head room though.

Make sure you check the ohms of every build before you fire it

You won't forget to charge it the fact it tastes like crap is a dead giveaway

They do the same basic job but the quality of the switch and the ease of cleaning can make a big difference to your enjoyment of it.

Yes, but personally I prefer a recessed switch without a locking ring

Buy Samsung 25r and you can't go wrong they do what they say they will. Efests can be a bit of a minefield for exactly the reasons you point out.

Questions are what this place is about, I will keep an eye out for your next batch, cause there will be one ;)

It isn't a mech, it just looks like one, it may have protection but you pay for that in both voltage drop and battery life.

I would go for a Nemesis as my first mech, nice and cheap from FT. For an original mech that's not a stupid price you could do worse that the SMOK Fury-S (has magnet switch as standard).

I would go for a Nemesis as my first mech, nice and cheap from FT. For an original mech that's not a stupid price you could do worse that the SMOK Fury-S (has magnet switch as standard).

+1 for the nemesis! I had the 'cloneV1.1' from at stealthvape as my first mech. It's great! Even comes with the magnets to upgrade the switch (a 2min job). Since then I've bought a clone carravela and a clone 4nine, I couldn't recommend either. I've even been considering getting the other clone 'clone2' from stealthvape or a genuine nemesis.

Nemesis and smpl are both good mechs.
SS is a lot less bother to keep clean than brass or copper.
With a hybrid conection like the smpl you will find a few attys that are not safe because the pos pin does not protrude enough.
Magnets are good but I found ft nem magnets did not fit my ft nem but stealthvape ones are good.
I prefer to ignore pulse ratings on batteries and stick within the continuous rating as it is much safer if you have an accidental firing and do not notice for a bit.
I have several of both nemesis and smpl all ft clones (the most popular ones which tend to be the best ones) and use them both equally.

Back
Top Bottom