What's new

damn hot spots

peterwall2

Hey everyone im pretty new to rebuildables and having no end of bother with my bulldog polaris .doesnt matter how many coils i use im getting a hotspot on the top coil seems to generate massive vapour and is running at 1.5 ohms on my evic . Is this normal or will it burn liquid. Any tips fully appreciated

Sound like not enough tension on top coil post connection, I had same issue until ZT stretched it out and evened the coils

not saying your wrong mark but sounds like its pulling into the positive post with a top hot spot, try pulling it back a bit mate and I always find the drill bit method helps as well, until you get used to making wicks and coils, even know on 500 mesh i use this method. HTH

Last edited by a moderator:
not saying your wrong mark but sounds like its pulling into the positive post with a top hot spot, try pulling it back a bit mate and I always find the drill bit method helps as well, until you get used to making wicks and coils, even know on 500 mesh i use this method. HTH

I think thats what I meant when I said stretch it away from the top post! Thanks Carlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone im pretty new to rebuildables and having no end of bother with my bulldog polaris .doesnt matter how many coils i use im getting a hotspot on the top coil seems to generate massive vapour and is running at 1.5 ohms on my evic . Is this normal or will it burn liquid. Any tips fully appreciated

I suffered badly with hotspots until I used the drillbit method (in my case a small screwdriver method). Create the wire coil first with screwdriver in the mesh hole, fire it up a little to firm up the coil (minus screwdriver :P). Then insert mesh and tweak as required I like a hollow mesh wick as well, so I sometime put a pin down into the wick to keep it straight while I fiddle the wire. I also use the pin to make sure that the mesh is evenly toucjing the coil by flaring it out a little if needs be.

I also leave a longer piece of wire at the top of the coil attached to centre post so i can pull/relax the coil a little by hand in case I messed it up. Also, 1.5 ohms isn't extremely high so it might be a case of a little too much power through the coil. Even when It appears I have the perfect coil, its going to come down to taste. I start real low and work it up a little until it tastes fine :) If it taste horrible I know I gone to far and have to turn it down again.

Fiddly :( but practice makes it easier.

Edit - he who uses words loses to them new fangled moving picture filums...

Yes its nichrome its what came in the kit . Will try kanthal asap . What gauge do you guys use ? Ive heard that .3 is the way to go but does this not create a higher resistance coil

You might want to look at the "zapper" jrob3rts is making.........you could use no-res wire at the top and bottom of the coil, no hot spots then!!

Back
Top Bottom