What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Cotton?

Thought KMS was talking about using cotton wicks,not shit. Bet they'll taste horrible :)

Sent by lazer from just north of the world's largest nuclear dustbin

OK not so bad...

I did it in my IGO F... but I used the Vicious Ant's top cap as I dont like the built in drip tip. I finagled some cotton in the base of the Igo F, got that wet, ran a wick to the top bit, made a 1.4 ohm coil, slipped the cotton through and soaked it up good..

Flavour is muted, but vapour production is immense... I think I will give this a go once I have some better cotton, but so far so good...

OK not so bad...

I did it in my IGO F... but I used the Vicious Ant's top cap as I dont like the built in drip tip. I finagled some cotton in the base of the Igo F, got that wet, ran a wick to the top bit, made a 1.4 ohm coil, slipped the cotton through and soaked it up good..

Flavour is muted, but vapour production is immense... I think I will give this a go once I have some better cotton, but so far so good...

If your flavour is muted you might have too much cotton, if its stuffed in too solid it doesn't seem to work as well, and you might need to lower your airflow rate...

OK not so bad...
I finagled some cotton in the base of the Igo F, got that wet, ran a wick to the top bit, made a 1.4 ohm coil, slipped the cotton through and soaked it up good..

why does that sound sexual in my head? ...im so wrong!!!!!?!?!?!?!!!!

OK not so bad...

I'd recommend roll or pleat cotton, you can just rip off a strip and go rather than having to unravel it and re roll it...

I know I'm biased as a purveyor of silica, but cotton decomposes at 150 degrees. Folks are getting great results with cotton I don't doubt that but the decomposed cotton is going into you. It's probably harmless, but you're vaping cotton, not just when it goes dry and burns.

Reference about cotton decomposing at 150c http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton

Important points

Decomposes after prolonged exposure to temperatures of 150˚C or over.

The chemical composition of cotton is as follows:
cellulose 91.00%
water 7.85%
protoplasm, pectins 0.55%
waxes, fatty substances 0.40%
mineral salts 0.20%

A temperature range of 25 °C (77 °F) to 35 °C (95 °F) is the optimal range for mold development.

I'm not dissing it performance wise. But thinking it's all cool to vape with no nasties or extras is misinformed.

RE the mold production, PG may well inhibit this as may the heat. If using cotton I'd suggest changing it every 2-3 days and treat your atty much like a food stuff in that regard as rotting cotton will be a playground for bacteria.

Saying that attys are probably already crawling with bacteria from our mouths ewwwww

I know I'm biased as a purveyor of silica, but cotton decomposes at 150 degrees. Folks are getting great results with cotton I don't doubt that but the decomposed cotton is going into you. It's probably harmless, but you're vaping cotton, not just when it goes dry and burns.

Reference about cotton decomposing at 150c http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton

Important points

Decomposes after prolonged exposure to temperatures of 150˚C or over.

The chemical composition of cotton is as follows:
cellulose 91.00%
water 7.85%
protoplasm, pectins 0.55%
waxes, fatty substances 0.40%
mineral salts 0.20%

A temperature range of 25 °C (77 °F) to 35 °C (95 °F) is the optimal range for mold development.

I'm not dissing it performance wise. But thinking it's all cool to vape with no nasties or extras is misinformed.

RE the mold production, PG may well inhibit this as may the heat. If using cotton I'd suggest changing it every 2-3 days and treat your atty much like a food stuff in that regard as rotting cotton will be a playground for bacteria.

Saying that attys are probably already crawling with bacteria from our mouths ewwwww

I thought about this too and was worried about that!

I pulled an old rebuildable out of the drawer which still had wick and wire in it, probably not used it in 3-4 months.... and it had the beginnings of some kind of crystalization on it...didnt look like mold but looked really rank, even after washing it, I chucked it out anyways.

I thought about this too and was worried about that!

I pulled an old rebuildable out of the drawer which still had wick and wire in it, probably not used it in 3-4 months.... and it had the beginnings of some kind of crystalization on it...didnt look like mold but looked really rank, even after washing it, I chucked it out anyways.

Yeah like earwax hehe

of course you could always visit the lady aisle for those other things made of cotton.. might need some uber sized coils to fit around em but they would certainly hold a good few ml of juice and you have a pre attached drawstring to pull em through to boot!

Back
Top Bottom