What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Coil wraps spaced or close to each others

I don't use spaced coils, just contact coils. The wire varies drastically from straight up low gauge round/flat to the more fancy stuff. I like a nice wide surface area for no other reason than that's what I've always done really. In any atty I'll always go for the biggest coil I can fit in there taking into account deck space, airlfow and room for my wicks. I'm always on a regulated so I'm not ever building to a specific resistance, I'm just chopping and changing a lot because it keeps me interested.

Worlds your oyster really dude. As long as it keeps you interested and you're safe with it then muck about with it a bit.:D

Just another note, I find that temperature control seems to be more consistant with spaced coils, I have had very inconsistant TC with contact coils due to the sympathetic heating between the wraps.

I vary spaced and not spaced, depends on the rda I'm using, I mix it up a lot, wondering what technique people use to space their coils, I tend to do a parallel wrap and then have 2 spaced coils ;)

Must admit, I’ve only recently started to experiment with spaced coils. As has already been said, hotspots are almost nonexistent and I seem to get the coils heating from the centre far quicker. I’ve also noticed a distinct lack of burnt cotton when it comes time to rewick.

I vary spaced and not spaced, depends on the rda I'm using, I mix it up a lot, wondering what technique people use to space their coils, I tend to do a parallel wrap and then have 2 spaced coils ;)

nothing fancy, I just give it a little tug so it opens up a bit.

Never understood the principles of non spaced (closed) coils.
Surely this creates a short between the coils, dropping the resistance ?

I wind a coil roughly on a screwdriver as though it is a contact coil. While it is still on the screwdriver/rod tighten the coil by pulling the legs. Then grab the last turn on each side and pull the coil apart making sure every wind has separated, no need to be precise, just make sure it opens up. Then you press the coil back as tight as it goes so all the wraps are touching, as soon as you release the pressure, it will spring out to a perfectly spaced coil.

Easy to get the hang of and works great every time.

I've seen some youtube video on this and have tried it but don't have enough experience to comment on the effect.

On a huge deck I space them out, but using SS Aliens and suchlike in dual mode there are so many wraps it's often a tight squeeze.

I use both contact for small micro cils and spaced for TC and some larger coils.

Back
Top Bottom