What's new

Coil Building on mini/micro RBAs

richydraper

Postman
evening you lot,

Ive got a spool of ebay special 28/32 316L Clapton, a bag of cotton baconV2, i wrap using a Coilmaster V4 building rig (brilliant bit of kit by the way) and wick using the 'pancake' method.

I've spent the last 6-8 weeks building on a Smok TFV4Micro deck, running a 5ml extension (yup, hard to come by now the TPD has landed), had a few teething problems and such but got most of the niggles ironed out and as always its user error. I'm currently running 4.5wraps on 3mm dia, comes in around .65ohm on device (AL85). never gets a dry hit, enjoy the flavour and vapour production

Steam engine usually comes in around .1 ohm difference compared to resistance shown on the device which is a margin of error I'm happy with.

I've also spent about 4 of these 8 trying, and failing, to get my Smok TFV8 Baby working right on RBA. the v8 baby runs dual coil which isnt too much of a problem, as im pretty sure my coils are coming out near enough identical. 7-8 wraps 3mm dia on the same wire as above. i dry burn before first use to get em burning evenly.
However... what i am getting with this is wildly different resistances reported by my device. sometimes.7 sometimes .9, 1.2 2.5, 2.8, 3.2 and above where the device shows an error message. if i select one of these higher resistances (>1ohm) i get an atomizer short warning when i fire... also have a constant huge flooding issue though i fear thats more down to my lack of knowledge and practice of wicking than an issue with the RBA

i am looking into getting one of those build deck things for measuring build resistance and initial dry burning etc, but will have to wait til payday.

any advice on how to get the v8 baby behaving properly would be awesome.

evening you lot,

Ive got a spool of ebay special 28/32 316L Clapton, a bag of cotton baconV2, i wrap using a Coilmaster V4 building rig (brilliant bit of kit by the way) and wick using the 'pancake' method.

I've spent the last 6-8 weeks building on a Smok TFV4Micro deck, running a 5ml extension (yup, hard to come by now the TPD has landed), had a few teething problems and such but got most of the niggles ironed out and as always its user error. I'm currently running 4.5wraps on 3mm dia, comes in around .65ohm on device (AL85). never gets a dry hit, enjoy the flavour and vapour production

Steam engine usually comes in around .1 ohm difference compared to resistance shown on the device which is a margin of error I'm happy with.

I've also spent about 4 of these 8 trying, and failing, to get my Smok TFV8 Baby working right on RBA. the v8 baby runs dual coil which isnt too much of a problem, as im pretty sure my coils are coming out near enough identical. 7-8 wraps 3mm dia on the same wire as above. i dry burn before first use to get em burning evenly.
However... what i am getting with this is wildly different resistances reported by my device. sometimes.7 sometimes .9, 1.2 2.5, 2.8, 3.2 and above where the device shows an error message. if i select one of these higher resistances (>1ohm) i get an atomizer short warning when i fire... also have a constant huge flooding issue though i fear thats more down to my lack of knowledge and practice of wicking than an issue with the RBA

i am looking into getting one of those build deck things for measuring build resistance and initial dry burning etc, but will have to wait til payday.

any advice on how to get the v8 baby behaving properly would be awesome.
If it's firing okay when dry burning and the resistance is stable, then it sounds like the coils are shorting on the chimney. Try wrapping your coils at 2.5mm id and see if that helps.

If it's firing okay when dry burning and the resistance is stable, then it sounds like the coils are shorting on the chimney. Try wrapping your coils at 2.5mm id and see if that helps.
good call didnt think about that, i knew it was tight but didn't think i was touching, will have another play... ta!

UPDATE:- V8 Baby RBA was DOA, one of the screw down poles was loose but i wouldnt want to try to tighten it as id probably end up damaging the insulator so ive bought another.

Bear in mind that SS wire resistance does change slightly when heated

im aware of that, thats how the mods figure the TC out.

I had wildly shifting resistances, depending on how it was handled, how it was wicked, how it was screwed onto the device. Faulty RBA has been returned, new one ordered, delivered and used with no resistance issues. i just need to play with it enough to stop it flooding and not giving dry hits

Back
Top Bottom