What's new

Burnt taste for 316L?

oinkerz

Postman
Afternoon apes, Right so I have recently purchased some SS 316L (26 gauge) wire. I have made around 20 different coils I have tried it all size bits, different Ohms, twisted, in 8 different RTA's/RDA's, contact coils, spaced coils and more or less every variation you can think of! Now the problem is no matter how I build it all I get is very little flavour and a slight burnt/harsh taste, I've checked the cotton it's not burning my wicking material and I have tried it in TC and Wattage modes. Now is it just me am I missing something or doing something wrong? Any advice you guys/gals can give would be very appreciated! Also it's not the E Liquid I'm using they taste fine in all my regular Kanthal/Clapton builds.

316ss is nice and clean tasting for me. It's a little bit fiery in TC mode so I find I have to lower the temp a little over some other wires but still, no problems. Maybe there's something about 316 you're a bit sensitive to.

Could be the case mate! I have a few tanks that come with stock SS coils such as the crown and i get on with them just fine, is there any kind of brake in period with SS wire am i just giving up on them to early?

If there's a break in period it is very short. Are you dry burning the coils to get rid of any crap on them? Where did you buy the wire? Stealthvape's wire is very clean but The Crazy Wire Co's tends to be manky.

Stealth vapes i got the wire from its where i get 99% of my wire. I have tried dry burning, not dry burning and just glowing them slightly. Could the fact that i haven't used wire smaller than 24 Gauge in a fair while be a factor? Maybe i am not used to the way thinner wire behaves/vapes anymore?

I wouldn't have thought so, it's not like you're burning your wicks or anything. It's a strange one and a pity as it's handy for being able to run in wattage and TC mode but maybe it's just not for you. Perhaps further experimentation might see it come right, less or more cotton etc. I only use it in TC mode and find 26 gauge 8 wrap spaced dual coils, loosely wicked works a treat at 50 watts & 380-450F in the Aromamizer rdta and Velocity. Hope you get sorted. Have you tried NiFe30 in TC mode? It rocks pretty hard.

Only ever trusted SS wire in TC so it is all i have tried. I might have to try the build you just said in my Aromamizer RDTA and the Velocity clone. With same temp and wattage parameters. I will update you tomorrow night on how i get on with it that way. Do you still glow your coils with spaced i normally don't when i used spaced coils i just make sure they look neat and even.

Cheers for all the advice so far pal, its really appreciated!

Only ever trusted SS wire in TC so it is all i have tried. I might have to try the build you just said in my Aromamizer RDTA and the Velocity clone. With same temp and wattage parameters. I will update you tomorrow night on how i get on with it that way. Do you still glow your coils with spaced i normally don't when i used spaced coils i just make sure they look neat and even.

Cheers for all the advice so far pal, its really appreciated!
I usually only dry burn them when changing wicks if they're a bit gunked up. Hope that build works out for you. I've found it's worth taking a little time after you've installed them and wicked them, to take a micro screwdriver and just make sure none of the wraps are touching each other or the legs on all aspects. Good luck!

Thanks again mate will let you know how i go on with them, Hopefully this will crack it haha!

Back
Top Bottom