What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Another new convert to Micro-coils and cotton wick...

Tubbyengineer

Legend
Well I'm just trying my first attempt at Microcoils and bugger me pink and purple they're great. Just wrapped a quick try using freshly bought bits, popped it in my Yada did a test and got a fantastic even glow from end to end, threaded in some cotton wool - a few drops of Mr's Lords Sarsparilla and I'm getting big clouds of vapour, good throat hit and a nice clean taste - great stuff.

Heres the Kit I used:
Precision screwdriver set £2.50 from Tesco, Has the screwdrivers of course but also third from left is a pointy scriber like tool that seems just the right size for wrapping the coils round (works great for me) and a pair of nasty cheap tweezers that you won't mind using to hold the coil while you do the squeeze and burn bit.

Draper gas soldering Iron - should have bought the mini torch but thought I'd be able to remove the tip and use it as a torch - you can't as such but take a dremel to the shroud just above where it narrows and you're left with a nice little torch flame if you remove the gauze, currently on offer from Amazon at around £11.

Cotton wool roll - 75p from tesco in the baby aisle - probably enough to last 2 years or so if I rewick every day..

Nail scissors again from tesco get the heavy type they cut kanthal just fine and should last ages

Kanthal A1 .25mm, From Stealthvape

Personally I think i got a great result and since the coil is so sturdy I can simply remove the wick, dry burn the coil to clean it and pop in some fresh cotton.

I'm chuffed to little green bubbles about this...:yahoo:

I feel out of love with them last night, my custard-based liquids just clog up the microcoil far too quickly and these are the main ones I vape. Ten minutes in and the flavour has almost vanished, loads of vape but no enjoyment.

Rewicked the Caravela clone with a normal 1ohm coil, a 2mm silica wick going into the tank and some padding of cotton on and behind the coil to maintain a constant feed. Now that blew my tits off.

As much as I'd like to believe things can continually get better I'm finding more and more I'm going back to silica and Kanthal.

I feel out of love with them last night, my custard-based liquids just clog up the microcoil far too quickly and these are the main ones I vape. Ten minutes in and the flavour has almost vanished, loads of vape but no enjoyment.

Rewicked the Caravela clone with a normal 1ohm coil, a 2mm silica wick going into the tank and some padding of cotton on and behind the coil to maintain a constant feed. Now that blew my tits off.

As much as I'd like to believe things can continually get better I'm finding more and more I'm going back to silica and Kanthal.

Durabilty is something I havent had time to test yet, I may end up hating them but I think it will always be the case that something go together and something dont - Cotton and custard may be a no-no mix...

I don't hate them mate.

Snake Oil - that's a blast from start to finish but I've run out. Maybe I'll coil up another cotton wick when the postie delivers, it's just the custards.

i love mine , i use an m3 screw bloody lovely , use it on my kfl and my trident rip off. superb :D

Mmm, still being impressed, just switched to Kings Custard, took 30 seconds, old wick out, rinse dripper under tap, dry burn while walking back to table, new cotton in, trim, drip, lovely clean custard taste instantly...

Can anyone post any pics please. I tried a micro coil using a cotton braid in a evod. Didnt like it. Again with custard. I could taste more cotton than custard.

Can anyone post any pics please. I tried a micro coil using a cotton braid in a evod. Didnt like it. Again with custard. I could taste more cotton than custard.

I started this how-to thread a month or so ago: http://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/f...est-cotton-wick-coil-set-up-for-your-dripper!

I recently dipped back into a silica set-up. Was a joke compared to cotton. Will never look back. My only issue is that the cotton seems to draw the flavour away quickly after a few hits and needs a bit more topping up. But there's nothing getting in the way of the flavour itself (silica I can taste). Best done on a dripper though rather than a clearo.

Back
Top Bottom