What's new

Are all pipe stems created equal?

rew

Olympian
Just getting in to pipes myself and was wondering what difference various stems make. The longer the stem, the cooler the vape makes sense, but does a more expensive, 'engineered' stem help with flavour. Found this on Pipesmith recently, which suggests there is more to a stem than I thought. What does the seasoned pipe vaper think?

cutaway_c.png

Simple answer is No :)
A Churchwarden stem came from the days of yore when pipes had a very small bowl which meant the the tobacco burned at a great heat, so a long stem came so that (a) the bowl was further away from your face and (b) cool the smoke down to a bearable temperature in the mouth.
Curved Stems found huge popularity with shapes such as the Apple and Tankard design of Pipe. This was purely an aesthetic thing at first, but people soon favoured it as it makes a heavier bowl more comfortable in the mouth and jaw. Then we have the Army Stem the Saddle Bit Stem etc but basically a Stem will alter the flavour to a degree and yes, long Stems cool your vape :)

@Rob I am thinking of getting a different stem for my Kamry/Dvarw 16 set up. The 3" stem it came with looks in proportion, but it is just a cheap plastic one. Can you point me in the direction of something that might improve performance. I am a bit in the dark about what to look for.

I honestly found little difference in flavour, just a cooler vape. There may be those with a refined palate that can taste a difference with an engineered stem like that ...... but I ain't one of them ..... ;)

Pretty much ^^^^^^^^^^^ this @rew
If you find a stem you like, then that's fine, but it is pretty much down to aesthetics rather than how the actually work when it come to E-Pipes as opposed to a genuine Briar :)

I honestly found little difference in flavour, just a cooler vape. There may be those with a refined palate that can taste a difference with an engineered stem like that ...... but I ain't one of them ..... ;)

Pretty much ^^^^^^^^^^^ this @rew
If you find a stem you like, then that's fine, but it is pretty much down to aesthetics rather than how the actually work when it come to E-Pipes as opposed to a genuine Briar :)

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know

I was wondering if the internal diamenter of the bore made much difference to whenther one wnated a tighter draw (MTLs) and wider diameter bores for the cloud chasers. But that does depend on what set up one has of course.

I was wondering if the internal diamenter of the bore made much difference to whenther one wnated a tighter draw (MTLs) and wider diameter bores for the cloud chasers. But that does depend on what set up one has of course.

ahhhhhhh cloud chasers !!! now your all stemmed out you will see the difference between the stems I have about 50 here some small some long some english some usa all different there is no standard to bore or fitment

but if my dear friend someone says to you do you cloud chase then instructions are

2 x 3 about 3ft long

distraction

swift hit

remove cap

stamp on cheap nasty mod in hand

cattle prod

feed to pigs

use pipe and sit back and relax

Got a few cheap pipe stems from FT for my Kamry/ Dvarw set up. I like the steel one. It actually fits in the Dvarw perfectly, whereas the other two stems don't quite due to them being double O ringed.

upload_2019-3-8_20-22-27.jpeg

upload_2019-3-8_20-22-52.jpeg

upload_2019-3-8_20-23-17.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom