What's new

Market Stagnation

dw1986

Achiever
As I sit here vaping on some wonderful 55mg nicotine salt E-Liquid (from the US I might add), I can't help thinking of the juice wars of 2014/2015, where forums were populated with arguments over whether US made or UK made E-liquid was better.

These days it's pretty clear- UK made is just as good, if not better than US made juice.

However there is a section of the market where it's pretty clear that the US leads the way- and that is the nic salt market.

Every day across social media I (jealously) see new ranges of nic salts shown off and handchecked, with all the big names now on board such as Ripe Vapes and Charlie Noble to name but a few. The JUUL is currently the number one top selling e-cigarette product in North America and nic salt juices sell like the proverbial hotcakes. I look on jealously and constantly check how much it will cost me to ship them over, whether any of my US/Canada based mates can ship me any over or if I have anyone I know on a business trip/holiday there, whether anyone is up for a group buy or whether it's just not cost effective for me to bother. Three quarters of the time, it's the latter.

The UK market? Well since Element NS20 and Dr Salt came to market last year there have been but a handful of other new ranges released. It's a trickle compared to the absolute flood in the US. It's clear there's a big demand over here for nic salt liquid, but little to choose from. I'd half expected the UK nic salt market to be burgeoning by now, but it's clear that it's not happening.

What have we got to blame?

Oh yes, that wonderful piece of legislation known as the TPD and the draconian 20mg limit on nicotine strengths and the idiotic 10ml limit on nicotine containing e-liquid.

Can't blame the manufacturers though, they have got a real risk on their hands spending thousands on compliance just to bring their products to market- and then of course they also have to weigh up whether it's worth the risk. Nic salt works best at concentrations of 30mg and above- which of course is off limits to the market here unless imported privately (at your own risk).

It's pretty clear though that the UK market has a long way to go before it even catches up to the US market in terms of nic salt liquid, and I only hope (probably in vain) that we will see some of the new and exciting US based ranges over here, or even better- some new UK made top quality nic salts.

And I can only hope the ridiculous 20mg and 10ml limits are lifted over the next 18 months, and the big players from the US market enter the fray over here- then hopefully the market will really take off...

I'm with you on the final paragraph. I would really love to try nic salt, but would like 36mg+. Maybe one day (deep sigh).

I can't see what the fuss is all about. Will nic salts improve the taste? If not, why bother?

I can't see what the fuss is all about. Will nic salts improve the taste? If not, why bother?

You can vape it at 72mg and it’s not harsh. Which makes it perfect for stealth devices. I luckily managed to acquire some 72mg and keep a bottle mixed at 36mg. It’s a different experience, I had the suorin air out today with the 36mg in it, a couple of puffs of it and you’re sorted. For situations where you can’t really vape or you need a big nic hit it’s perfect.

I totally agree @dw1986 . I think if it wasn’t for the 20mg limit pod systems and stealth devices would have taken off in a bigger way here too, along with salt nic. It’s a real shame, it’s a combination that would appeal to people looking to quit fags but put off by big complicated and for some people daft looking devices.

My vape is 18mg which I lung hit at around 20-30w, a couple of puffs every half hour or so.
What would nic salt bring to the table for me?
Im assuming I would have to go back to MTL at 36mg+ to get the kind of nic hit Im used to?
Whats your advice @dw1986 ?

I totally agree @dw1986 . I think if it wasn’t for the 20mg limit pod systems and stealth devices would have taken off in a bigger way here too, along with salt nic. It’s a real shame, it’s a combination that would appeal to people looking to quit fags but put off by big complicated and for some people daft looking devices.

Absolutely right, hit the nail on the head.

Nic salts are absolutely perfect for people quitting smoking thanks to the way they replicate the nic hit from a cigarette however, in a pod system, they need 40-50mg at least. And that is what has made the JUUL so successful in North America with newbie vapers. And why PAX won't even consider releasing the JUUL again in the EU now because they know that 20mg JUUL pods would be a waste of time.

I equate 20mg nic salt to the equivalent of 6mg freebase nicotine. It's not enough for the nicotine dependent in a pod system. I vape 20-35mg salt at 35W with a 0.5ohm coil quite happily. But that won't work for a newbie.

Hell when I first started vaping I was vaping 36mg freebase nic

And that wasn't all uncommon back then

My vape is 18mg which I lung hit at around 20-30w, a couple of puffs every half hour or so.
What would nic salt bring to the table for me?
Im assuming I would have to go back to MTL at 36mg+ to get the kind of nic hit Im used to?
Whats your advice @dw1986 ?

You could comfortably switch to 50-60mg nic salt and still lung hit it, but with a more instant nic hit. You'd vape far less liquid too, I guarantee it, and you wouldn't even feel the urge to. I've tried chain vaping 55mg and it's just not possible :D

If I'm vaping 40-55mg, I'll vape 1-2ml a day. Compared to 20-30ml of 6-12mg.

Of course, if you just enjoy the sensation of vaping it won't be for you

I actually enjoy the sensation of vaping, so I guess it's not for me.

Back
Top Bottom