What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Wire Preferences ??

Apes.
This has probably been asked or discussed before, but was wondering what folks preference is when it come to wire and why do you use that specific type. What are the differences if any between the different types??

I actually started using Kanthal when I started vaping a little over a year ago. But I switched to Ni80 shortly afterwards. I thought the quicker ramp up time would allow me to vape at lower wattages. It appears now though I have come back to Kanthal. I’m not fussed about vaping at a specific Ohm all the time, just usually 6 or 7 wraps 2.5id usually of 28awg Ka1 from Stealthvape, anywhere from 11w - 13w. Whatever takes my fancy at the time really. Now I’m not experienced enough to give my thoughts on the benefits of each type of wire, nor am I going to try to either. I’m just asking out of curiosity.

Lee.
I'm still where you are, 28AWG kanthal 2.5mm ID at 10-11 watts. Have tried other wires and other builds but keep coming back to this. It suits my tastes. :)

Kanthal 27awg to 29awg, mostly 29awg, 2.5mm ID 6 wraps = 1.45Ohm aprox in most tanks @ 11w
tried Ni80 28awg and 1 less/more wraps, but stuck with 6 wraps for me

A number of people "seem" to go for 27~29awg with 6 or 7 or maybe 8 wraps if you got room on a 2.5~3.0mm ID

For me I found little difference, the Ni80 needed more oomph coz it came out at 0.88 Ohms 6 wrap 2.5mm
and found it wasn't quite as quick firing without a bit extra oomph on top compared to my usual 29awg Kanthal

Couldn't really detect much difference in vape/flavour BUT could be down to my juice
(others may claim there was a considerable difference they noted but I never experienced myself in my setups/juice)

I've come to my own personal conclusion, at least for me a bit of 28awg Kanthal is a fairly safe bet
the reason I'm using 29awg - it is right next to me, the others are in a jiffy bag in a box of vape crap & can't be arsed to look

I use SS316L but I've just found out because it's not as stable as Kanthal and Nichrome it's making my vape limp, so I'm going back to the more stable Kanthal.

It will only make it limp if you’re in vv mode. In vw mode it should beef it up.

Different wire, different goblins etc...

@Tobytyke , 316L here too. 28 or 30 awful usually. I find he other kind of wires (kanthal, ni80) have a bad taste.

28 awg kanthal, about 1ohm because I bought bought a lifetime supply while preparing for the zombie apocalypse.
I did try A mystery coil that came with an atty that I think was ss, adjusted it to my preferred res but I did not like that it ramped up faster then got hotter than I liked, so I had to open the air more than I like.

It was enough experimentation for me and cured any curiosity I might have had about other wires.

Back
Top Bottom