What's new

Wicks going on..

AJT

Veteran
Hi all
I started using a RTA tank the innokin Ares and making my own mtl coils..which I’m really enjoying.
I seem to have the coil making sorted but I’m not sure about the wicking as I keep burning the wick..
So most of my coils are about 1.5ohm MTL and vaped at 9.5-11 watts on a 50/50 juice.
Would putting the wick in to tight or to much cotton cause burning?
It don’t happen immediately it’s after a day or so I notice the burnt taste if I up the watts to 10.5/11 to get a good hit..
Prior to this it vapes perfect and tastes just fine so I’m wondering what I’m doing wrong..
Cheers.

Using kathal A1 0.25mm 5 wraps @ 2.5mm gets me 1.5ohm.

I don't know that tank mate so can't give you specifics but yes, too much wick can eventually give dry hits as the wick clogs. It won't wick properly and will dam the juice. This can be from being too thick and too long. You just want enough to give a slight resistance as you pull it through the coil. The coil shouldn't move too much.
Trial and error really. If you cut the length down a bit at a time until you are happy, you'll find it tastes better as well. If you start to leak, then you've gone too far.

Hope that's of some help mate.

Thank you..
One more thing I’m wondering about is..when your fitting rta coil into posts does it matter if legs are above the wraps or below when inserting..
Thanks.

Thank you..
One more thing I’m wondering about is..when your fitting rta coil into posts does it matter if legs are above the wraps or below when inserting..
Thanks.

You can do it either way with the Ares. This particular deck does seem to suit what you are suggesting though with the legs above.

Back
Top Bottom