What's new

What makes a good tank?

Flower Power

Postman
Watching youtube reviewers, flavour intensity and flavour profile seem to be their key criteria for what makes a good tank, but maybe this misses something?

I have been enjoying an old Kayfun Five Pawns clone for last 6 months, with almost exclusively Manabush in it (I did try some menthol too which was fine but menthol tastes fine in any old tank). The tank mutes the flavour compared with something like the True tank, it is a pain to refill and you can't do anything with the coil without losing all the juice, but there is a quality to the vape I enjoy.

It is hard for me to put in to words what I like about it, I would say the quality of the vape experience is good, but that doesn't really explain what exactly I mean. I guess I just like the flavour through the tank, it mutes it perhaps, but I still get the juice to taste the way I like it. I can take long relaxed draws and get just the right amount of vapour. This is all very personal, I suppose.

But am I making sense? Is there more to a good tank than just the intensity of flavour and ease of use?

I dont think flavour alone defines a good tank for me. In fact I know it doesn’t.

My favourite tanks/atties/bridges don’t necessarily provide the best flavour but they do provide the best overall experience for me.
Ease of build. Toughness. Useability. Correct airflow and so on.

If something tastes brilliant but I can’t pocket it all day then it’s no use to me. If it tastes great but the draw is off then I will eventually lose interest. If it’s temperamental then again I’ll dump it.

It is all a mixture of factors and personal preferences. I carry only top airflow tanks and i drip while at home. Vaping for quite a while and i have 3 tanks and 3 mods. I kept trying new stuff and reverted back to my kit. I am chasing flavour, so for me is a biggie but i am also a single coil runner, tried dual coil setups in many forms and can't see the usefulness.

Flavour is low on my list of priorities.
The right airflow for how I like to draw is more important to me, then a bunch of usability factors, then flavour.

An interesting question no doubt. I've reflected for a while and it's actually very difficult to pin down to a single factor. I suppose this is why we all like different tanks dependant on the way it offers resistance to the draw, buildability and the way it conveys flavour. How the tank behaves during daily usage is also a factor.

Thanks for the thoughtful question :D

Definitely a combo of things that all come together right.

Leak free .... I don't care how good it is in any other respect if it's making a mess in my pocket.

What makes a good tank - YOU, your opinion & if YOU get on with it

A fantastic tasting tank rated highly by some means little if YOU can't get on with it
If it is a bitch to use/build, if it pisses out most times you fill it etc....

So like many have said, it is a combination of many factors in the end, not just taste
in the end it is what YOU like/prefer than some youtube/reviewer

taste is but one rating, price/availability, ease of use/build, suits YOUR vaping style
other crap like looks, size/overhang & other bollocks etc.....

You get to pick your own favourite(s) or you add up all the scores in all those areas
blah blah fucking blah & all that, your money, your tank blah again

After many years of trying tanks and drippers and recommending them to those with similar juice preferences to my own I've rarely hit someone else's preferences on the head, if ever.
Some people will sacrifice flavour for ease and other's refuse to compromise on the strangest of features.
I've found over the years that if a tank features juice control, I'm far less likely to use it on a daily basis. I don't particularly mind a tank that's prone to a few drips or seeps.
Flavour tends to be paramount (that's my flavour profile preferences, often different to others). I've never found a tank that has a significantly larger airflow under the coil in comparison to the airflow setting on the exterior that I prefer to be a tank I will stick with.
Top fill doesn't bother me at all and neither really does capacity. I'm happy to refill as required. I will not use a tank with bubble glass and I can't bare any tank that requires "special wicking techniques". All that means to me is that it's poorly designed.
Seems I'm not mega fussy but that list alone narrows down my choices significantly.
So yep, we do really have very individual requirements.

I think I've come to the conclusion....

Vaping is like a Bacon Sandwich - everybody's perfect bacon butty is bespoke....

Streaky/back, smoked/unsmoked, lightly cooked/crispy as fuck, modest amount or a pile of bacon

Bread - white, brown or 50/50 - but always absolutely fresh bread or don't bother
Thin (nah), medium (OK) thickly sliced or fuck it cut your own door steps
Buttered or not if you can't be arsed, thinly spread or laid thick with a trowel

Sauces, ketchup or brown sauce - or both, or BBQ or weirdo mayo
speaking of which - topped with a fried egg and/or cheese or wtf a full English between two slices of bread
(OK getting a bit carried away now....)

Me I go for back bacon, cooked just enough but not crispy, Hovis white bread - fresh or forget it
sod the butter/marg if I'm starving but slap a slice of cheese in it perhaps
sauce - whatever is closest, usually ketchup drizzled not drowning onto very generous amounts of bacon

Missus - has to be crispy but not too crispy, not smoked salty bacon, buttered a must but then scrape it all off
no not too much bacon, watching the calories (ffs I'll eat it instead) and she applies her own brown sauce

Yup - vaping is like a bacon butty I reckon

NB: do not ingest vape juice, bacon is far tastier to eat

apologies to any vegans out there, to me you must be vaping plain unflavoured juice with zero nic imho
(but to each their own)

enjoy your vape/butties just how YOU like 'em

Back
Top Bottom