Vape Club
What's new

The subtle differences air holes not the build make to a good vape.

Well thats sounding like a goody for you @eyeball kid , and i instantly thought, 'why don't i buy one to try it?' Then i thought i've got more attys here than i can shake a stick at already. I'm personally vaping gear sick.
Now heres a more subtle question a true or false question for you all.
Referring to an rta/rba
How much you open the juice control has as much effect on your vape experience as the air flow hole you choose?( I'm not talking about wicking effect, i'm talking about resistance when inhaling and how it changes lets say the spectrum of the draw.)
True or false for any of you?
As a whole I've not noted huge difference. I honed my juice control skills on the calix. I prefer to open minimally until I feel if I take a couple of chain vapes it's able to keep up. You would think the juice within the tank would hold a positive pressure to stop any major variation in draw pressure but it's an interesting one for sure.
The recent addition of the hellfire short cranked (clone) has been surprising to me.
I've been settled on the fact 18mm is my magic number for mtl rda' s. Thin enough for a chimney style flavour condensation effect but large enough to avoid dry hits but this is 22mm. Where it makes up ground is the height. It's very "short" as the name suggests and the height means the coil is best barely peeking above the deck. The airflow hole just hits the top of the coil (just) yet offers comparable flavour to the strike/speed revolution.
There's obviously more than one way to extract maximum flavour from a coil.

Elux
Well thats sounding like a goody for you @eyeball kid , and i instantly thought, 'why don't i buy one to try it?' Then i thought i've got more attys here than i can shake a stick at already. I'm personally vaping gear sick.
Now heres a more subtle question a true or false question for you all.
Referring to an rta/rba
How much you open the juice control has as much effect on your vape experience as the air flow hole you choose?( I'm not talking about wicking effect, i'm talking about resistance when inhaling and how it changes lets say the spectrum of the draw.)
True or false for any of you?

I’m not sure I’ve noticed a difference in the air resistance but juice flow definitely has an effect on the quality of the vapour, more with some tanks than others, I’ve found. I tend to like the juice flow as far open as I can without risking flooding/gurgling on most of my tanks and it seems that at that point the vapour is a little denser than when you’re tighter and just above risking dryish hits.

I think you are right @eyeball kid that there are different techniques to extract good flavour from a coil, I’ve gone through periods of preferring tighter airflow, inserts under the coil, smaller chambers, narrower chimneys, narrow tips, longer tips, tall and short tanks but then something will come along that proves that the last revelation wasn’t the definitive answer. The calixes have relatively wide airflow but pack flavour with the flow reduced from either the side or the bottom of the pin. No need for an insert or narrower pin, it seems (don’t know about the v4 as I’ve not tried it). The pocket has the best flavour of all the tanks I’m using just now and doesn’t even have a chimney or juice control.

I think that a focused and directed stream of air travelling up the inside of a hollow pin via a few small holes at the bottom allows for adjustment from an airflow ring or a screw on the side to be as effective as a pin with a narrower bore. An airflow ring isn’t as effective when the air isn’t directed for a distance up the middle of the pin (my theory about the difference between your experience with the rose and calix, @13mil ).

I have a cheap prime on the way, I’m interested to see how this works out because I wasn’t a fan of the airflow adjustment on my 5 clone. Felt that the bottom screw in the 3 mini was a better system even though I wasn’t a huge fan of the tank. Also a coppervape dvarw which I’m looking forward to.

Last edited:
It's a paradox we all came across with the rose v3 but often rejected as it wasn't our natural draw. Then squonking came along and this became apparent on every atty. Close it down and build to mtl and the vspe was disappointing. Accept a two hole more open airflow and slightly higher wattage and flavour was superb.
The narda and for me the o atty made this aparent. No specific need to build any different in the o atty from your normal mtl build (if a little fiddly) but you soon realize the open two hole airflow offers up the best flavour if it makes sense to you or not.
I've now come to accept that sometimes the atty sets the pace and that's ok.

Now then @eyeball kid , here I sit with my clone O atty. 1.4oHm Squonking on a VTinbox. I just opened up both airholes, and almost bloody choked. I was up around 20watts (cotton needs changing, in a bit) with the airholes mostly closed off. Not a Gnats chuff MTL, but still needs a good pull.
As soon as I opened her up I need to go down to 16watts, as the Vape is too intense. Cooler mind!
I dunno why this is?
I like the "pulling" on a MTL set up, but I also enjoy messing about with my Vaping throughout the day.
I'll try my clone Entheon when I rewick my O atty and see what that does. It's pretty much the same coil and exactly the same juice and cotton as in my O atty

Vape Green
Now then @eyeball kid , here I sit with my clone O atty. 1.4oHm Squonking on a VTinbox. I just opened up both airholes, and almost bloody choked. I was up around 20watts (cotton needs changing, in a bit) with the airholes mostly closed off. Not a Gnats chuff MTL, but still needs a good pull.
As soon as I opened her up I need to go down to 16watts, as the Vape is too intense. Cooler mind!
I dunno why this is?
I like the "pulling" on a MTL set up, but I also enjoy messing about with my Vaping throughout the day.
I'll try my clone Entheon when I rewick my O atty and see what that does. It's pretty much the same coil and exactly the same juice and cotton as in my O atty
Remember when opening an rda/rta up from a restricted draw to it's natural opened setting you may have to 're adjust your nic level and adjust to the actual power of the hit. Also when you vale mtl you have a natural instinct to suck like your drinking a McDonald's milkshake mid winter. You may want to take a more relaxed pull when more open.
At the end of the day everyone is different and you may prefer the way you constrict the airflow.
Took me a year of trying mtl rda' s before I realised the draw I was looking for was the one I'd become accustomed to using a nautilus for years.

I'm looking for small, incremental changes in Vaping now. Drip Tips make a massive difference, as does airflow as I'm just finding out!
However I still reckon the highest I'll Vape, regularly, is under 30watts.
I'm happy enough MTL most of the time, and when I fancy a change, usually around mid-morning, or after tea (or beer!), I want to increase my nic hit I'm chuffed if I can try summat new to help my enjoyment of Vaping.
Thanks for the tips guys!!

Royal Flush Vape
I'm looking for small, incremental changes in Vaping now. Drip Tips make a massive difference, as does airflow as I'm just finding out!
However I still reckon the highest I'll Vape, regularly, is under 30watts.
I'm happy enough MTL most of the time, and when I fancy a change, usually around mid-morning, or after tea (or beer!), I want to increase my nic hit I'm chuffed if I can try summat new to help my enjoyment of Vaping.
Thanks for the tips guys!!
Have a go with the o atty late at night when your relaxed. I mtl (tight as a nats arse) all day and crack out the more open tanks and rda' s in the evening when I can enjoy a more relaxed vape. It just means I've given myself double the trouble in finding the perfect set ups. Lol.
I must say though I really enjoy the o atty and it suits a middle ground coil for me, ie 0.8 ish.

@keepitgoin , What you did with the o atty i did with the rose v3, opened both holes/vents got the benefit of the flavour people raved about but also had my nic sensors hit hurricane force richter scale, dizzy and cross eyed for a moment i was. what i had to do was inhale slow motion like, then it was tamed, but no chance of a tight draw like mtl, well not in my lifetime anyways. But well remembered about drip tips, but as i have been using the same drip tip for every atty, I forgot about that factor in the equation. I don't vape above 9 watts, so when i discovered how to get the best out of the rose3 I increased to 9/10 watts from 8, coaxing the vape out of the chamber and accepted the rose3 was a winner, but i had to adapt to its limits. My point is you went down when you opened air holes, I had to go up and adjust inhale torque to tame the rose to my liking.
@zouzounaki good points, i think that because I'm pure pg, even opening the juice control has a knock on effect of air induction in my experience. So for me its a truth, maybe the capillary action of increased juice control opening also effects the mtl. We are talking subtle, but vaping has taught me one thing, the mouth is hyper super sensitive.
@eyeball kid levels of stress carry their own nic needs. i notice it most when i'm drinking, but i used to smoke more when getting drunk, so at least it's a constant :-)

AcmeFog
@keepitgoin , What you did with the o atty i did with the rose v3, opened both holes/vents got the benefit of the flavour people raved about but also had my nic sensors hit hurricane force richter scale, dizzy and cross eyed for a moment i was. what i had to do was inhale slow motion like, then it was tamed, but no chance of a tight draw like mtl, well not in my lifetime anyways. But well remembered about drip tips, but as i have been using the same drip tip for every atty, I forgot about that factor in the equation. I don't vape above 9 watts, so when i discovered how to get the best out of the rose3 I increased to 9/10 watts from 8, coaxing the vape out of the chamber and accepted the rose3 was a winner, but i had to adapt to its limits. My point is you went down when you opened air holes, I had to go up and adjust inhale torque to tame the rose to my liking.
@zouzounaki good points, i think that because I'm pure pg, even opening the juice control has a knock on effect of air induction in my experience. So for me its a truth, maybe the capillary action of increased juice control opening also effects the mtl. We are talking subtle, but vaping has taught me one thing, the mouth is hyper super sensitive.
@eyeball kid levels of stress carry their own nic needs. i notice it most when i'm drinking, but i used to smoke more when getting drunk, so at least it's a constant :-)
Yep. The berserker is currently full of element nut tobacco nic salt for those stressful moment's.

Interesting points coming out of this and usually, I'd leave this alone and let others carry on, however, there is ONE RTA where I found I could change everything and anything at will to suit the mood. This came about by being able to adjust airflow and balance Juice Control to get just about any combination or draw to vape upon.
That was the rather wonderful Calix V2. YES.......... I KNOW that there are many other RTAs out there that almost certainly are more than capable of creating similar effects, but for me, the Calix V2 was the most adjustable in terms of being able to fine tune the vape to suit any mood or occasion. Bear in mind that I am not one of these high power users. My "happy place" seems to be around 15w to 18w depending on the RTA in question.
In "some" respects......... I still rate the Calix V2 as THE King of the Range. The V3 is a Great RTA, but for me, the V2 still outshines it. The V4 is a very different animal and perhaps should be approached in a very different way?

Anyway, I'll now climb back under my rock and continue snoozing :)

Vape Superstore
hi, lengthy messages, hope i took them in correctly. read most of it and felt understood, one of my fav attys in rotation is the Kayfun Mini 3, many mtl'ers saying how good the taste is with the airflow very tight, indeed vaping mtl, i mean sucking in the vape with the cheeks than taking it down. I just feel the other way, the vape gets more sides (i mean suddenly there is a fruity aspect which was not there or similar) by opening the airflow to 2 thirds or so (not easy to say with this Kaifun).
Suspect there are sometimes misunderstand regarding a defined throathit vs taste, which i'd say is vm better the tighter the draw. I think i mostly start with a dtl adding a mtl, taking this in after the dtl, giving me the nicest combination of flavour and throathit.

Like to add my 2 cents (pennies?): maybe the build itself is not that important, but imho the height of the coil above the airhole (taking about air from below) makes a difference indeed. And the diameter of the coil maybe even more important, has to be adjusted to the form and size of the inner airflow holes.

qte/ The pocket has the best flavour of all the tanks I’m using just now /uqte
zouzounaki, the pocket looks interesting to me, but can find a clone by SXK (Pocket Styled RTA), is the original out of sale probably?, a 22mm mtl for a single 18650 mechmod sound good.

Back
Top Bottom