What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

The subtle differences air holes not the build make to a good vape.

13mil

Postman
Hi guys, just wanted to talk about this, Here is the background to starting this new thread, and would like to know of other peoples experiences and what was learnt.
So, I have just bought a calix v4, wonderful bit of kit, I dabbled around with it and tamed it to my liking. I put the 1.2 pos pin in due to my pg condition, and this is what i learnt when i then revisited my rose v3.
The 1.2 pos pin you can buy works beautifully for the calix v4. So once i got my build to my spec, I then started playing around with the air hole adjustment. I was at 7 watts, my ohms are 1.5 with a 7 wrap .20mm ss wire. This was going back to my kanthal days using 6 wrap .20mm guage wire. So the following was tinkered with.
I was getting that damp kind of after taste at 7 watts, with one airhole open. kind of muted flavour but still the menthol was apparent.
i then upped the watts to 9 and went 'wowee' this thing packs a punch, but the coil was too hot and instead of a crystal clear reflection of the flavour, it was too hot, not burn, but lets say that singeing the throat heat that provokes a cough out of you. Pls remember I am pure pg.
So I opened up afc ring to the full 3 hole option and lo and behold the mtl draw was not noticably affected, but all 3 hole exposed allowed more flow into the chamber and surprisingly cooled down the vaper temp and i got that perfect balance. Without compromising a goodly mtl torque rating.
heres my question, any ideas why this is?
My next example is the rose 3.
Again i went to the .20mm gauge wire and my ohms are 1.97. (i adventurously did an 8 wrap spaced coil)
Now before i had good flavour feedback from the rose v3, but what narks me about it was having to only use the single hole option. Trying to get an mtl draw even with the chamber reducer pin, helps but its not as naturally tight as the calix v4. There was always a part of the flavour spectrum missing. So I put my new coil in, did the wickedy wicking and took a draw using the single hole afc option. again muted flavour, not hot this time, but the balance was not utopian. i was on 9 watts and so recalled how opening all the calix's v4 airholes made the flavour outstanding. So i used the double airhole option on the rose v3. It was better but still something was missing, then i remembered a rose v3 like the snappy needs more watts just to get the current through the pos pin, don't know why, but it does. I upped my watts to 9.5 and now i have utopian flavour. I never noticed the temp drop on the rose v3 like i did the calix v4. But the double afc option with 1 hole open either side of the atty allowed the flavour to mature to its full spectrum. yes i have to tease the drawing of the vapour, its not a natural mtl thing what so ever, but it works.
Heres my question, why does it take two holes opposing eachother to get the best out of the rose v3. I've sacrificed natural mtl feel in return for a utopian flavour return.
Finally, can anybody else share experiences of attys that have to be compromised or adjusted differently in order to enjoy that utopian flavour feedback.
Thanks and i hope i'm making sense and look forward to other peoples unorthodox experiences.

Hi guys, just wanted to talk about this, Here is the background to starting this new thread, and would like to know of other peoples experiences and what was learnt.
So, I have just bought a calix v4, wonderful bit of kit, I dabbled around with it and tamed it to my liking. I put the 1.2 pos pin in due to my pg condition, and this is what i learnt when i then revisited my rose v3.
The 1.2 pos pin you can buy works beautifully for the calix v4. So once i got my build to my spec, I then started playing around with the air hole adjustment. I was at 7 watts, my ohms are 1.5 with a 7 wrap .20mm ss wire. This was going back to my kanthal days using 6 wrap .20mm guage wire. So the following was tinkered with.
I was getting that damp kind of after taste at 7 watts, with one airhole open. kind of muted flavour but still the menthol was apparent.
i then upped the watts to 9 and went 'wowee' this thing packs a punch, but the coil was too hot and instead of a crystal clear reflection of the flavour, it was too hot, not burn, but lets say that singeing the throat heat that provokes a cough out of you. Pls remember I am pure pg.
So I opened up afc ring to the full 3 hole option and lo and behold the mtl draw was not noticably affected, but all 3 hole exposed allowed more flow into the chamber and surprisingly cooled down the vaper temp and i got that perfect balance. Without compromising a goodly mtl torque rating.
heres my question, any ideas why this is?
My next example is the rose 3.
Again i went to the .20mm gauge wire and my ohms are 1.97. (i adventurously did an 8 wrap spaced coil)
Now before i had good flavour feedback from the rose v3, but what narks me about it was having to only use the single hole option. Trying to get an mtl draw even with the chamber reducer pin, helps but its not as naturally tight as the calix v4. There was always a part of the flavour spectrum missing. So I put my new coil in, did the wickedy wicking and took a draw using the single hole afc option. again muted flavour, not hot this time, but the balance was not utopian. i was on 9 watts and so recalled how opening all the calix's v4 airholes made the flavour outstanding. So i used the double airhole option on the rose v3. It was better but still something was missing, then i remembered a rose v3 like the snappy needs more watts just to get the current through the pos pin, don't know why, but it does. I upped my watts to 9.5 and now i have utopian flavour. I never noticed the temp drop on the rose v3 like i did the calix v4. But the double afc option with 1 hole open either side of the atty allowed the flavour to mature to its full spectrum. yes i have to tease the drawing of the vapour, its not a natural mtl thing what so ever, but it works.
Heres my question, why does it take two holes opposing eachother to get the best out of the rose v3. I've sacrificed natural mtl feel in return for a utopian flavour return.
Finally, can anybody else share experiences of attys that have to be compromised or adjusted differently in order to enjoy that utopian flavour feedback.
Thanks and i hope i'm making sense and look forward to other peoples unorthodox experiences.
It's a paradox we all came across with the rose v3 but often rejected as it wasn't our natural draw. Then squonking came along and this became apparent on every atty. Close it down and build to mtl and the vspe was disappointing. Accept a two hole more open airflow and slightly higher wattage and flavour was superb.
The narda and for me the o atty made this aparent. No specific need to build any different in the o atty from your normal mtl build (if a little fiddly) but you soon realize the open two hole airflow offers up the best flavour if it makes sense to you or not.
I've now come to accept that sometimes the atty sets the pace and that's ok.

As I recall (and I may be wrong) the rose v3 doesn’t have the same kind of 510 pin as the calix (I’m assuming the v4 is the same as the other calixes and air is drawn through small holes near the bottom of the pin) but instead the air hole in the deck is connected to a hollow void inside the base. I wonder if the directed air from the calix 510 pin is less dependent on an equal flow of air from all sides, whereas with the rose you are effectively sucking the air from the airflow hole through a largish void. Which means to get optimal performance you really need air coming in from both sides?

It's a paradox we all came across with the rose v3 but often rejected as it wasn't our natural draw. Then squonking came along and this became apparent on every atty. Close it down and build to mtl and the vspe was disappointing. Accept a two hole more open airflow and slightly higher wattage and flavour was superb.
The narda and for me the o atty made this aparent. No specific need to build any different in the o atty from your normal mtl build (if a little fiddly) but you soon realize the open two hole airflow offers up the best flavour if it makes sense to you or not.
I've now come to accept that sometimes the atty sets the pace and that's ok.
I've been playing with a NarBa I bought in the classies this week and found the same thing. I was intrigued by that little ramp that leads the air to the coil, and realised that if I wanted to shut the airholes down to MTL size I'd need to angle the coil in order to get the optimum effect ........ but it's still an atty that's happier with more airflow than I like. The flavour's certainly there with more air ....... but it's not right for me. Shut right down to a tiny hole it loses a lot of the flavour and smoothness as it gets too hot. Turn the wattage down and the flavour goes. Only option is to open the air holes.

I've been playing with a NarBa I bought in the classies this week and found the same thing. I was intrigued by that little ramp that leads the air to the coil, and realised that if I wanted to shut the airholes down to MTL size I'd need to angle the coil in order to get the optimum effect ........ but it's still an atty that's happier with more airflow than I like. The flavour's certainly there with more air ....... but it's not right for me. Shut right down to a tiny hole it loses a lot of the flavour and gets too hot. Turn the wattage down and the flavour goes. Only option is to open the air holes.
Sometimes you just have to accept the design of the atty.
I've come to enjoy a few different airflow types by just accepting it is what it is and not getting hung up on my "usual" preference.
I suppose the designers have their own airflow preferences and design to suit.
Something like the airlab rda is more open than I'd usually vape but the flavour delivery is just so good it's worth adjusting. As above with the Rose. We all struggled with it when it first arrived. Fitted airflow reducers ect but once I let go of my hang ups and built to the atty I enjoyed the vape much more.

Sometimes you just have to accept the design of the atty.
I've come to enjoy a few different airflow types by just accepting it is what it is and not getting hung up on my "usual" preference.
I suppose the designers have their own airflow preferences and design to suit.
Something like the airlab rda is more open than I'd usually vape but the flavour delivery is just so good it's worth adjusting. As above with the Rose. We all struggled with it when it first arrived. Fitted airflow reducers ect but once I let go of my hang ups and built to the atty I enjoyed the vape much more.
I enjoy the discovery and learning process, but I find that only a few tanks and juices really hold my interest and keep me off the ciggies. If I try to adapt ....... I start to not fancy it, and that way danger lies! ;)

I'm very lucky in that since I came back I've found two tanks that I'm thrilled with - the Berserker Mini and the Pocket. Neither were love at first sight, but now both absolutely nail it for me and have relegated previously used and liked but niggly tanks to the spares drawer. :)

I enjoy the discovery and learning process, but I find that only a few tanks and juices really hold my interest and keep me off the ciggies. If I try to adapt ....... I start to not fancy it, and that way danger lies! ;)

I'm very lucky in that since I came back I've found two tanks that I'm thrilled with - the Berserker Mini and the Pocket. Neither were love at first sight, but now both absolutely nail it for me and have relegated previously used and liked but niggly tanks to the spares drawer. :)
We've actually never had it so good choice wise. From under one mm airflow to snorkel there's something for everyone.
It seems to take us a few year's of circling and trying but we seem to all eventually migrate back to where we where first most comfortable.
As you know I agree with the berserker. It really has propper old school mtl draw its as close to original heron as I've used. Hopefully this trend will continue.

I agree with everything here. Adapt to the atty, air flow design effects in zouzous examples of the the rose 3 and the calix, attys that don't endanger going back to the fags. The compromise as pointed out by crewella between air flow and watts = good or no flavour. I've also gone back to being tired of trying out new things I've found some great attys thanks to peoples different perspectives and me old mate @Rob so i find myself without anything to contribute to this forum. The only thing i am contemplating at the moment is with a tank encasing the coil and wick how much does it truly inhibit the purest flavour you can get, being an mtl'er and all that. There is a richer though more oxygenised vape experience from me old bf rda's yet an enclosed tank seems to make the experience more acute, the flavour seems to cling to the taste buds, yet lacks the freer oxygenised feel of bf rda's i have. That i have so many examples to choose from and can turn to anyone of them for the satisfaction i crave is a great relief. I've reached the stage where the only thing thats stopping me from getting an even better vape experience, though the one i have is beyond wildest dreams compared to 6 years ago and the ego + ce4's, is my ability to adapt to the atty/rda itself and get better at the end user side of things. E.g-Wick, coil build and height of coil above inlet hole within coil. Learning the atty in essence

I agree with everything here. Adapt to the atty, air flow design effects in zouzous examples of the the rose 3 and the calix, attys that don't endanger going back to the fags. The compromise as pointed out by crewella between air flow and watts = good or no flavour. I've also gone back to being tired of trying out new things I've found some great attys thanks to peoples different perspectives and me old mate @Rob so i find myself without anything to contribute to this forum. The only thing i am contemplating at the moment is with a tank encasing the coil and wick how much does it truly inhibit the purest flavour you can get, being an mtl'er and all that. There is a richer though more oxygenised vape experience from me old bf rda's yet an enclosed tank seems to make the experience more acute, the flavour seems to cling to the taste buds, yet lacks the freer oxygenised feel of bf rda's i have. That i have so many examples to choose from and can turn to anyone of them for the satisfaction i crave is a great relief. I've reached the stage where the only thing thats stopping me from getting an even better vape experience, though the one i have is beyond wildest dreams compared to 6 years ago and the ego + ce4's, is my ability to adapt to the atty/rda itself and get better at the end user side of things. E.g-Wick, coil build and height of coil above inlet hole within coil. Learning the atty in essence
Spot on.
I'm seeing this (or tasting it) right now as I've finally got round to testing the berserker rda and it offers a myriad of under coil airflow options. The vape is as flavourful as I've experienced in a mtl rda yet...
Somethings different with the vaping experience. It's the chamber size and shape. The berserker offers a very "tank" like vaping experience due to the coil position and chamber shape. It's actually as close to the same design as the chimney in an rta as I've used.
The strike (my usual crush) is the same size 18mm but the airflow hits the coil side on and has about 8-10mm to travel before hitting the mouth.
Both excellent but the strike gives me the rda experience I enjoy.

Well thats sounding like a goody for you @eyeball kid , and i instantly thought, 'why don't i buy one to try it?' Then i thought i've got more attys here than i can shake a stick at already. I'm personally vaping gear sick.
Now heres a more subtle question a true or false question for you all.
Referring to an rta/rba
How much you open the juice control has as much effect on your vape experience as the air flow hole you choose?( I'm not talking about wicking effect, i'm talking about resistance when inhaling and how it changes lets say the spectrum of the draw.)
True or false for any of you?

Back
Top Bottom