What's new

Suggest some complicated coils for MTL?

Wickings a bit of a mess but you get the idea lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
Thanks for the replies, and for not biting my head off for suggesting trying different coils for (loose) MTL.
I enjoy a Hellfire RDA single coil, simple kanthal around 1.2oHm, but I also enjoy Squonking on a Wasp Nano that will take larger diameter coils easily and want to mess around with different possibilities for coiling ideas while still getting decent flavour, without going above 25 watts.
This is probably a dumb question: but hey not my first 1!
Can I just twist (seen the videos!) 2 strands of Kanthal 26(ish) gauge together, and expect the same number of wraps I normally do (7 or 8) to turn out to be pretty much 1/2 the oHms of what I get with a single coil wrap?? So single wire = 1.2-1.4 oHm, dual wire = 0.6-0.7, or will the greater mass have a bigger effect?
Is it physically easy to wrap 2 lengths of Stainless Steel, or do I need to prep them first?

I think you’d need much thinner gauge than that if you’re going to twist it. What kind of power are you planning to use? Mostly I’m about 9-12w, fancy coils would just annoy me with taking time to heat up and fizzing after I stop firing it. I think you’dbe wanting 32awg or thinner, realistically.

I only make spaced coils, tight coils don’t appeal to me. Maybe that’s part of my anti premade wire view.

32 awg is a decent shout @zouzounaki as it would allow me to make slightly larger diameter coils than I do now. I'm thinking 3.0mm id and pushing up to 25watts, if thats not enough I might go to the vertiginous height of 30w, if I feel brave!!

Any heads up on Stainless Steel as a material. I have a couple of DNA 75 Mods that can do TC, but I'm quite happy with wattage really, unless there is some advantage to TC Vaping?
I'm reading a lot about TC, but still not sure what the advantages are, but I might give it a try with SS as I know SS is fine in wattage mode, just not dry burn apparently. Dunno why not though??

32 awg is a decent shout @zouzounaki as it would allow me to make slightly larger diameter coils than I do now. I'm thinking 3.0mm id and pushing up to 25watts, if thats not enough I might go to the vertiginous height of 30w, if I feel brave!!

Any heads up on Stainless Steel as a material. I have a couple of DNA 75 Mods that can do TC, but I'm quite happy with wattage really, unless there is some advantage to TC Vaping?
I'm reading a lot about TC, but still not sure what the advantages are, but I might give it a try with SS as I know SS is fine in wattage mode, just not dry burn apparently. Dunno why not though??

The advantage is it stops your coil getting hotter than you want it, if that's not happening then there might not be an advantage .... It means you can turn the power up to reduce ramp up without it's getting hotter than you want it later in the draw.

Just think of it as temperature limiting, if you don't want limit your temperature then don't bother.

I put my mod on tc every once in a while just to observe that the 10w doesn’t get the coil anywhere near the temperature at which it would cut out. Then I’m happy with watts for another few weeks...

For a complicated coil, instead of wrapping the wire round a regular screwdriver, why not try and make it in the shape of one of those torq screwdrivers?

Or do it in the shape of a little dolphin or a mermaid?

Ss is fine to work with. If i ever feel the urge to twiddle some wire together then i use a little cordless drill with a keyless chuck, trap the wire in it, hold the other end taught with pliers and start to pull the trigger. Once you get a feel for it you can speed it up until you get it as tightly twisted as you want it. Yes they may snap a few times and yes its a pain in the arse but you might like the results. You could make SS tiger coils that way.

For a complicated coil, instead of wrapping the wire round a regular screwdriver, why not try and make it in the shape of one of those torq screwdrivers?

Or do it in the shape of a little dolphin or a mermaid?
I remember trying Quad coils 3 years ago, only single kanthal mind, then saw a picture of an Octo coill, thought fuck that and never bothered since with anything more than simple single coils.
I quite fancy one in the shape of a Star off the top of my Xmas tree!

Back
Top Bottom