What's new

Spaced or Contact - Revisited

I've got the coil master kit as well. No longer use the entire wire wrapping jig tho. I just use the rods. With a little practice it's easy to wrap contact or spaced by hand. The jig works well for single wire builds but isn't great for mtl fused claptons - in my own experience.

The entire v3 kit is awesome tho and I would definitely recommend it to anyone considering buying one.
I've got the v3 kit as well from the bay of E for £20. The only thing wrong with it is its hard to get stuff out of, the case itself is a bit rubbish. And the scissors are shit but thats just that design.
Funnily enough, I only use the rods for coil placement on the deck rather than making them nowadays as well.

So I tried to make a touching coil this morning before I went to work. I took the hood off my dropper and was distressed at the state of it. Black as coal. So time to change it.

I couldn’t for the life of me make a touching coil with 28awg ss on a small screwdriver. Tried squishing it together after wrapping it, on the screwdriver, off the screwdriver, before and after clamping it in. It sprang out ever so slightly every time, leaving it with tiny spaces.

So I tried to make a touching coil this morning before I went to work. I took the hood off my dropper and was distressed at the state of it. Black as coal. So time to change it.

I couldn’t for the life of me make a touching coil with 28awg ss on a small screwdriver. Tried squishing it together after wrapping it, on the screwdriver, off the screwdriver, before and after clamping it in. It sprang out ever so slightly every time, leaving it with tiny spaces.
Yeah, stainless steel is quite springy. Try squeezing with ceramic tweezers while heating...

That’s way too much hassle @gaart and I don’t have ceramic tweezers. Spaced coils it is, then!
Good choice. Few turns on a screwdriver,pull a couple of turns off, spring the coil back on itself, install and stroke with loving care. Boom you're in [emoji4]

Good choice. Few turns on a screwdriver,pull a couple of turns off, spring the coil back on itself, install and stroke with loving care. Boom you're in [emoji4]

You pull some of the wraps off? I just do the amount of wraps needed then push it tight and let it spring out then clamp it on. Easy as that. 2 minutes.

You pull some of the wraps off? I just do the amount of wraps needed then push it tight and let it spring out then clamp it on. Easy as that. 2 minutes.

Yup I always add a couple of extra wraps and then pull each end to neaten it all up and get it to my require number of wraps.

Yes as @Discomatt says. I put my finger on middle to keep it tight and pull a wrap off from each end. Just seems to keep things tight and tidy [emoji106]

At least you gave it a go mate. :2thumbsup:

Toys for boys, horses for courses, etc.

Yup I always add a couple of extra wraps and then pull each end to neaten it all up and get it to my require number of wraps.

I just wrap it and leave longish ends, give them a pull then screw the thing on and trim it.

Back
Top Bottom