What's new

[SOLVED!] Help needed with the Damn Vape Diamond

scottish-jim

Achiever
3 out of 4 ain't bad!

Hi and thanks for looking.

i only started with RTA's at the beginning of May 2020 and I have four good MTL RTA's so far.

Hell Vape MD - I struggled at first with leaks and condensation but with better wicking and a wider bore drip-tip it's now great. Strong flavour but I'd maybe like a bit more vapour.

ExVape Expromizer V4 - This tank is awesome. Quick and easy to build and the flavour and vapour are superb. I might have to change to TC as I'm enjoying chain vaping with it so much I'm not noticing the tank emptying lol.

Asmodus Anani - I really like this tank and again it's so easy to coil and wick and it too gives nice flavour. Might prefer a tighter draw but it's a great wee tank. I even like the Ultem.

Damn Vape Diamond - This tank is starting to get to me now. I've been given some advice and watched many a build video and, despite thinking I'm doing what everyone suggests, I'm obviously still doing it wrong. Within a few draws after filling, and the flavour is nice, I get liquid oozing out of the airflow. Every time.
Maybe it should be renamed That Damn Damn Vape Diamond lol

I keep telling myself that it's only because I'm still inexperienced at wicking but right now I think I need to ask again for some advice. I really don't want to give up.

I'd be grateful your for comments/suggestions. (Be as candid as you like - I won't be offended) :)

Excuse my camera skills:

1st pic to show how the coil is sitting:

0c8SEXQ.jpg

2nd pic showing how long I'm cutting the cotton

VDgHdnm.jpg

3rd and 4th pics showing the cotton in each side the juice well

WrXElJe.jpg

CsV84Og.jpg

5th pic showing the cotton isn't touching the airflow hole.

Y2RPiKU.jpg

I'd be grateful for your comments/suggestions.

Cheers

Jim

I don't have this RTA, so I can only make a wild stab in the dark. If that wicking isn't working I would be cutting it slightly shorter so that the wick is just short of those wick holes. It works with some RTAs I've used.

Ok, I've just watched a Vaping with Vic vid on this. He says that the wick channels are particularly large on this RTA. Looks like he filled the channels to the bottom and put loads of wick in there.

Thanks @rew

Yeah I've watched the VWV Video many times, even at 0.25 speed, and still struggling lol.

Also watched Jai Haze, DJLsb Vapes, Matt from SMM and some guy called AVC.

I think there's definitely something I'm not quite grasping!

Last edited:
Thinking out loud:
  • Am I maybe packing the cotton too hard and tight into the juice wells causing it not to soak up the juice properly?
  • Am I maybe over-wetting the wick before putting the tank on and filling?

Not sure what ID coil they are using. Try a 3mm coil if you haven't already. Would give more cotton for the channels.

Thinking out loud:
  • Am I maybe packing the cotton too hard and tight into the juice wells causing it not to soak up the juice properly?
  • Am I maybe over-wetting the wick before putting the tank on and filling?

It doesn't want to be packed tight, but fill the channels out.

I doubt it's you overwetting the wick unless you're only leaking after a rewick. My Tanks "leak" after a rewick when I really soak the wick but that's just from juice dropping down into the holes that isn't absorbed.

Not sure what ID coil they are using. Try a 3mm coil if you haven't already. Would give more cotton for the channels.

Yeah the attempt in the pics is a 3mm ID coil

It doesn't want to be packed tight, but fill the channels out.

Hmmm... I may be packing it in. I'll try a softer touch on my next attempt.

Thanks rew :)

Not got the tank but with a flat deck like that it's very easy for any cotton outside the juice wells to release juice onto the deck which will then find it's way into all the places you don't want it to.

Back
Top Bottom