What's new

Rose3 Vertical Coil Build Problem.

After @Banjostring mentioned that he had a vertical build in his Rose3 RTA I thought I would have a go, I couldn't find any tutorials online so attacked it with pure guesswork.

I've had partial success with a vertical coil but I've ended up with a leaking issue and could do with some help please.

The coil itself was fairly easy, the main thing was not bending the legs into a sharp angle, my first attempt I bent at 90 degrees but the tight angle made the leg glow so I had to bin that , a curve is best, slightly spacing also helps any hotspots.

ROSE3-Vertical_Coil-1.jpg

Wicking wise, I tried a common sense approach, using a 5mm Muji cotton strip, I skinned it then divided it into 2, the first strip I wrapped the coil reasonably snug, ensuring to pass it through the long leg, I wrapped this twice around then wrapped the other piece of cotton around the outside of that, applying a few drops of juice helps everything stick.
(Avoid any cotton touching the airflow hole)

ROSE3-Vertical_Coil-2.jpg

Finally I went to fit the wicking chamber, I could tell that the cotton wasn't going to be tight enough so I applied another thin wrap, it was a little fiddly to place the cap back on without crushing the cotton but twisting back and forth made it easy enough, I tucked the outer edge in a little so that the cotton would be tighter in the wicking ports.

ROSE3-Vertical_Coil-3.jpg

I popped it all back together and filled it up, immediately I had a significant leak, I removed the tank and blew through the drip tip so the flooded juice would expel through the airflow holes, I then had a little pressure in the tank which seemed to stop the leak somewhat.

The vape was spot on, no spitting or gurgling and the flavour certainly made attempting a vertical build worth it.

But there still is a small leak, it must be too much liquid flooding the deck and seeping through the airflow, the inner cotton wrap must be okay as I am not getting any gurgling or spitback, since the whole chamber is stuff with cotton I can only assume that it is still too loose?

Visually it might look a bit loose around the wicking ports but it is packed reasonably tight in there, adding another wrap could be challenging.

Any advice or ideas?

I'm still using it as is for now, the vape is just right, it just leaks if left alone for a while or during filling.

ROSE3-Vertical_Coil-4.jpg

Hmm, sorry to hear you have leaking problems mate. I've had none myself so can't really comment on how to cope with them. The only thing I can think of after seeing your build is that maybe whilst packing your cotton, you've got some poking in this gap. My coil is lower than yours and sits juuuuuust above the air inlet. Maybe your juice is travelling through your wick and some is simply running down the air inlet?

Other than that, I have nothing to offer, sorry.
IMG_20210121_142059.jpeg

Does the wicking method look right? how tight do you pack yours? daft question I know, lets say 1 to 5, 5 being very tight.

Got to agree with @Banjostring here :)
I would suspect that your coil might need to be mounted lower? When I did these types of build, there was very little gap between the bottom of the coil and the air hole in the deck, imagine 2 Rizla Papers?
Tightness is a very fine line, your's "looks" to be about right :)

The tightness looks ok. But you could try a little bit more cotton and see if it helps. My wick fills the whole "cup" though. Level to the top. Not sure if that makes any difference leak wise.

Last edited:
I feel silly now.....
(my first Darwin award of 2021)

So I lowered the coil, re-wicked it (double checked the cotton wasn't in the airflow, I managed to squeeze in an extra wrap of skin and it still leaked.

I didn't know that the drip tip doubled up as the juice-flow control until I was fiddling with it, you might notice mine was fully open to the max, closed it off, blew it through, refilled it and opened it up 3 turns and jobs a good un.

I think the original wicking was possibly fine, it didn't keep up wicking as well with the extra wrap, hopefully I'm all sorted now, Vertical coil was worth the faff and going to see what other atty's I can do it on, thanks for the help and tips :)

I feel silly now.....
(my first Darwin award of 2021)

So I lowered the coil, re-wicked it (double checked the cotton wasn't in the airflow, I managed to squeeze in an extra wrap of skin and it still leaked.

I didn't know that the drip tip doubled up as the juice-flow control until I was fiddling with it, you might notice mine was fully open to the max, closed it off, blew it through, refilled it and opened it up 3 turns and jobs a good un.

I think the original wicking was possibly fine, it didn't keep up wicking as well with the extra wrap, hopefully I'm all sorted now, Vertical coil was worth the faff and going to see what other atty's I can do it on, thanks for the help and tips :)
Lol, schoolboy errors, the easiest to fix. Glad to hear you've got it sorted, nice vape, isn't it?

Lol, schoolboy errors, the easiest to fix. Glad to hear you've got it sorted, nice vape, isn't it?
I'm loving it already, too much as I've overdosed on 20mg nic salts, time for some 6mg Manabush next.

My only other vertical coil build was the dual coil DTL Oumier VLS which was also superb.

Sods.

Now I'm going to have to dig out one of the Roses and try this.

Back
Top Bottom