What's new

Other wicking material than cotton?

Not really. I think because I moved onto using Clapton coils and the combination of high vg liquids makes gunk easier to form, hence the cotton struggling with that and higher heat. Doesn’t matter how tight I wick the coil or even the Scottish roll method, it still breaks up in the middle after a day at most. Sometimes less.

Could just go back to regular wire, maybe will as wicking constantly gets boring quick but thought I’d try learn if anything else exists that’s stronger/lasts longer first,
I use fused clapton coils with 80/20 and 85/15 at silly wattages like 140w vaping custard and desert juices that are known coil gunkers and my cotton holds up fine.

I agree that yours is struggling with both the thickness of your juice and type of coil your using but it's not the cotton at fault it's either the way your using it or possibly a problem with hotspots in the center of your coil try spacing your coils ever so slightly on the same build and see if that helps if no maybe your wicking a little too tight [emoji4]

Not really. I think because I moved onto using Clapton coils and the combination of high vg liquids makes gunk easier to form, hence the cotton struggling with that and higher heat. Doesn’t matter how tight I wick the coil or even the Scottish roll method, it still breaks up in the middle after a day at most. Sometimes less.

Could just go back to regular wire, maybe will as wicking constantly gets boring quick but thought I’d try learn if anything else exists that’s stronger/lasts longer first,
You are definitely doing something wrong.
Some of the things that can cause the wick to burn in the middle of the coil are........

Coil hot spots - Remove hot spots before wicking.
Coil not cooling down enough after the draw and continues to burn - Continue to draw in air for a split second after taking your finger off the fire button to cool the coil back down.
Wicking accross the grain - Wick following the grain.
Not enough cotton - Use more.
Too much cotton - Use less.
Juice overly sweet - Rewick more often.

I have tried mesh in a tank with mixed results, now I just use cotton, I just found that mesh works best in a gennie. I have not used rayon for years, I would be interested to know if anyone is still using rayon and how they find it.

Cool, does rayon lose flavour after a day or so? I thought silica sounded good as it shouldn't break apart in the coil but if its garbo taste wise I'll give it a miss.

Will give the rayon stuff a try. Also found one called Canna cotton, which is 80% organic and 20% hemp which might be worth trying
I am happy with rayon and use it often. For me it’s flavourless.

I have tried mesh in a tank with mixed results, now I just use cotton, I just found that mesh works best in a gennie. I have not used rayon for years, I would be interested to know if anyone is still using rayon and how they find it.

I still use the FibreFreaks Cotton Blend rayon/cotton pads.

I find it doesn't have that initial ''taste' that's present in all the cottons that I've tried, and it gets to full flavour much quicker with my menthol liquid.

Have also tried their newer Fiber-N-Cotton but I can't get quite the same flavour, or wicking, that I get with the FibreFreaks pads.

Quite impressed so far with rayon. Creme de vape are doing 1m for £1 which is a steal and have been using it since this morning.

Definitely compares to cotton for flavour and wicking speed. Have found rayon does does the opposite of expanding with liquid but no complaints yet.
All in all maybe what I was looking for and a potential switch to using this daily.

20200513_192433.jpg

Back
Top Bottom